Help! Budgie Eggs--reply

MaxieMacaw

Nov 19, 2010
Hi. I'm sorry that this is so overdue. I sent it the next day, but the server logged me out and didn't save and I haven't had a chance until now.

Okay, first off, 10 years old is WAY to old to breed. No female budgie should be bred over the age of 3 and no male over the age of 6. The older they are, the more chance of fatalities and infertile eggs.

No, I’ve had a budgie flock for around 10 yrs, not that all the budgies are 10.
Dayton is right at 4 and I don’t know how old Lexus is, but I have had her for 4 yrs.
And I didn’t breed them. They did it all by themselves. When I wasn’t chaperoning. Didn’t even consult with me.

Second of all, male budgies do not help the female to incubate eggs.

Second of all, he DID help in the beginning when she couldn’t keep all of the eggs under her. He hasn’t since I modified the nest. Not many things are all or none. Why would I say that he did if that was not the case?

I've lost track of how many times I've had to say this to people, but albino budgies DO NOT have poor eyesight. That is a complete myth and blindness has nothing to do with the mutation.

You are entirely INCORRECT! It is not a complete myth, but instead a complete medical fact. Most albinos have serious vision difficulties. Their eyes do not have the correct amount of melanin and during the fetal and infant stages of their life, this causes abnormal development of the macular hypoplasia , as well as abnormal nerve connections between the brain and their eyes. While limited eyesight is usually a problem, many albinos have multiple sight deficiencies. Often albinism can also come with a nystagmus where eyes tend to jump and jerk in all directions or strabismus which means that the eyes do not focus together as a binocular team. Albinos often have astigmatism which distorts the field of view and photosensitivity is the norm When the eye doesn’t have enough pigmentation it can’t keep out excess light, making them incredibly sensitive to bright lights.
Lexus is totally blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other. My Lutino (Ocular Albinism), has functional sight but not nearly as good as pigmented eyes. She also has serious photosensitivity.

You should probably stop telling people that.

If the eggs were rolling, even if they were fertile in the first place, they would be addled. So, if they do hatch, there might be some disabled chicks. And, if they were cold, the embryos will be dead.

OK, so they probably won’t hatch. When I was in 2nd grade we hatched a bunch of chickens in an incubator. If I remember correctly, and I know that I do, the eggs were gently rocked and at set intervals they were rolled a half a turn, we were told to keep the chick from sticking to the egg. All but 2 hatched and none seemed addled. ??

Five is a normal clutch. The incubation period is 18 days. If any hatch, which I doubt they will, then leave them UNLESS you see a problem.
Honestly, I'd just pull the eggs, take out the box, reduce the light hours and change the cage around completely to through her off.

I CAN’T change the enclosure around because she is BLIND. The last time I replaced a couple of branches she was not thanking me. If I pull the eggs, won’t she just lay more?
One of my Macaws used to lay eggs and she would sit on them for the required 3 wks and then abandon them. Won’t Lexie do the same?

I'm sorry if I see harsh while writing this, but that is how it is. I don't mean to be, but this sort of thing could kill her.

I didn’t see this as harsh at all. I asked for information and advise and you took the time out to reply. Thank you.
Why is the cutoff 3 yrs of age? Seems pretty young for a species that can live into their teens. The Macaw laid eggs into her 40’s with no ill effects. The vet and other breeders said that it wasn’t a problem if she was healthy and her calcium levels were kept up so she was supplemented with liquid Ca+ when she was producing many.

Eggs do not mean anybody has mated.

I fully realize this, but like I said, since he was helping her incubate and feeding her chances are that they did mate.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Pam

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
When I was in 2nd grade we hatched a bunch of chickens in an incubator. If I remember correctly, and I know that I do, the eggs were gently rocked and at set intervals they were rolled a half a turn, we were told to keep the chick from sticking to the egg.

I did the same thing when I was in second grade! I think that was when I started to fall in love with birds.

Most Reactions