Please help

srehab7

Dec 22, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Hi! Urgent question I hope you can answer, my budgie was eggbound with swelling in her vent. We took her to a doctor who expelled the eggs but did not clean or disinfect the area. He told us to do it at home. We tried to catch her but it was very hard and she was looking very tried so we put the medicine in her water and let her rest. I woke up to find her dead today 😭 can anyone please help me figure out what happened? I don't want anything like this to happen to any of my other birds. 😭

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am sorry your lost your lil one. Most likely the stress of being egg bound, having them expressed, travel back and forth to the vet and finally the stress of chasing and catching her (which is a huge stress for a prey animal like a budgie) all added up and she died of a heart failure. Only a full necropsy of her remains would be able to tell, and unless you refrigerated her body, its too late for that. That is my best guess.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
If the egg breaks at all during removal it can cause septicemia a very deadly infection that usually kills a bird within 24 hrs. You did right to take your bird to the vet but with tiny birds like budgies, any stress or illness can cause them to go downhill very quickly. In future, it’s good for female birds to have access to extra calcium to help prevent egg laying issues. Maybe you already have a cuttle bone in their cage; if not, I would suggest one. I’m so sorry you lost your little bird 💔

OP
S

srehab7

Dec 22, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Thank you for your kind reply. I keep thinking of what I should have differently. After we tried to catch her and gave up, she was eating and perching. I didn't think the stress from that would be too much. She didn't even get to tale her mdecine
I am sorry your lost your lil one. Most likely the stress of being egg bound, having them expressed, travel back and forth to the vet and finally the stress of chasing and catching her (which is a huge stress for a prey animal like a budgie) all added up and she died of a heart failure. Only a full necropsy of her remains would be able to tell, and unless you refrigerated her body, its too late for that. That is my best g
I am sorry your lost your lil one. Most likely the stress of being egg bound, having them expressed, travel back and forth to the vet and finally the stress of chasing and catching her (which is a huge stress for a prey animal like a budgie) all added up and she died of a heart failure. Only a full necropsy of her remains would be able to tell, and unless you refrigerated her body, its too late for that. That is my best guess.
Thank you for your kind reply. You're probably right. I keep thinking about what I should have done differently. I didn't think trying to catch her would be that stressful as we've done it a lot before. I just feel gutted that I couldn't take better care of her. I hope this never happens to my other female bird.

OP
S

srehab7

Dec 22, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
If the egg breaks at all during removal it can cause septicemia a very deadly infection that usually kills a bird within 24 hrs. You did right to take your bird to the vet but with tiny birds like budgies, any stress or illness can cause them to go downhill very quickly. In future, it’s good for female birds to have access to extra calcium to help prevent egg laying issues. Maybe you already have a cuttle bone in their cage; if not, I would suggest one. I’m so sorry you lost your little bird 💔
Thank you for your reply and kind words. The doctor did say that one of the eggs was broken! I didn't think this makes her condition more serious :( She already had a cuttle bone in her cage and her health was great until about 3 days ago.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
If you're interested in second vet opinions?
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts