Help I can’t tame my ringneck lol

Ringo2023

Apr 27, 2024
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet
So my Indian Ringneck, Ringo, I have had him for a little over a year now. He still does not let me touch him, or even feed him out of my hand. The closest thing (and the most recent progress) I have gotten him to do is eat out of a bowl I was holding through the little bowl holder in his cage. And then I tried using a glove and hold seeds (as treats) in my hand and he did eat out of that too (is that good progress? Also he’s a biter so I needed the glove). His cage is also RIGHT beside my bed, so when he wants seeds he will come to the side that I’m on, otherwise heel be on the complete other side. When I let him out of cage all he does is fly around and scream, so I don’t let him out too often because I’m trying to get him to realize if he wants out, he’s going to have to use me to get out if that makes sense. I don’t know what else to do to tame him. I set my hand in the cage for 15 minutes a day and he doesn’t budge and just waits for me to leave. Should I continue with the seed thing or do something different? I don’t know how to tame him. I also forgot to mention, when I’m in the room he’ll make noise and sometimes scream, but the screaming is not often. But RIGHT when I leave the room, he screams for hours. Does that mean he wants me but is just scared of physical contact? Or is he glad I’m gone lol. Or maybe just lonely (but he does t interact with me except for maybe some “mumbling”). I don’t understand and I’ve tried looking things up but nothing works.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Believe it or not, he is still settling in and making up his mind about you. Ringnecks are famous for this. Just be patient and continue as you are doing. Me, I'd get away from the glove, most parrots hate gloves.

Most Reactions

Latest posts