Help just lost company

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
My alexanderine just lost his company bird Electus parrot that got killed by ours dogs they were in separate cages he wont stop screaming and talking and expecting Phoenix to answer we have him inside now

OP
Miamax10

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
It was a shock to lose Phoenix like that she got out from the water bowl section and knocked down by dogs we have 2 rottweiler and labx she didn't stand a chance i will miss her and so do my alexanderine parrot

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As you well know, your Alex was witness to a brutal murder and is in heavy shock and fear for his own life! No question he misses his fellow feather friend and is crying out for her.

Where to go from here? Difficult, very difficult!

- Much of this is heavily dependent on if you had 'any' relationship with your Alex. If so, your effort is in restoring some level of comfort that he is safe there! You're one on one attention is going to be a starting point. Tons of time to get him somewhat comfortable. Likely, he shakes when the dogs are around and/or barking.
- Clearly the dogs and the Parrot never can be in the same area at the sametime, as he will freak-out.
- Very likely he will never want to go back outside for a very long time.
- At this point it is all about him! With great hope he will respond to your vast amount of one of one time.
- Is he eating? If not, major effort in providing 'anything' he will eat to get him started!

I have worked with abused, older Amazons over the years, and what your Alex has experienced is far beyond what they likely had deal with.

My heart bleeds for your Alex.

OP
Miamax10

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
He is okay being outside but we have him in front of front door where dogs can't get he's more settled out there than inside and neither them was with the dogs but my oth bird was up against fence of where they were when she got out so she got knocked off fence so do think that he heard it because we didn't we only came out afterwards.aand also he sleeps indoors now he eating and he seems a little better 😄

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m so sorry to hear about Phoenix. My thoughts are with you, and Phoenix’s friends.

Nico, my Ekkie prior to when I adopted him was adopted out to a gentleman that ran a dog shelter. One of the dogs got ahold of him, and he has a broken wing. He will never be able to fly again. After this incident he was then returned to the shelter. Nico really bonded with this gentleman that adopted him. He stopped in at the shelter for awhile, and as time passed I guess he stopped coming to visit Nico. Accidents really can happen. We do our best to prevent them. Im just so sorry that this happened.

Thank you for sharing as well. It reminds me to think before I leave my birds out with my dogs. Even for a few seconds.

Most Reactions