HELP! Male cockatiel attacking female

Maheen

Jun 30, 2021
PLEASE HELP! I got my cockatiels on June 28 2021. One is a male and the other is a female. My female is a Lutino and my male is yellow from the top and a light yellow from the body, he looks like a Lutino but has no red eyes. So when we got them my male cockatiel starts biting and hitting the female whenever she gets close.. the female doesn?t really attack back but still sits next to him. I don?t have a cage to separate them in right now?this has been going on the whole time! The female also eats out of my hand but doesn?t let me touch her. The male on the other hand hisses at me and tries to bite me. It?s only getting worse. Please help!!:(

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, Maheen. I'm sorry you are going through this with your cockatiels, it is a difficult thing to witness!

Unfortunately this situation is not unusual with cockatiels, I experienced something very similar with mine a number of years ago when I had a male and a female. Your hen may be sending signals to your male that are too subtle for us to see, and your male is reacting, or overreacting to her and becoming aggressive. Ultimately you will need to provide separate cages for your hen's safety. Sadly there is never any guarantee that two birds, even of the same species, will like each other or be able to cohabit in the close quarters of one cage and it sounds like yours need their own separate space.

I hope you are able to obtain another very cage soon and I wish you and your cockatiels all the very best!

OP
M

Maheen

Jun 30, 2021
Thank you for your help! I just don?t get it, sometimes they are fighting but now they are just quiet and calm. It?s only when the female gets close. I will get that cage soon!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
No problem, happy to help! My Fang and Twinkle got on very well most of the time but unfortunately Fang would fly into a rage every now and then, I suspect when one or the other of them was feeling a little "hormonal" shall we say, and would attack poor Twinkle quite mercilessly. They always had their own cages so it was a simple matter to keep her safe until Fang's rage blew over. You will probably find yours get on a lot better when they have their own "personal space" to retreat to if need be. I'm glad you reached out for help with your pair!

Most Reactions

Latest posts