I have some questions bc I welcomed a baby parrot in my family

Mikotheparrot

Mar 12, 2024
Parrots
Alexandrian Parrot
We brought home a baby parrot who is about 3-4 weeks old. She is probably an alexandrine parrot.
Now there are things I want to ask bc it is my first time having a baby parrot at home.

1. How often should I feed her food? She gets very excited every time she sees some food and I stop giving her food when it looks like her crop is filled.

2. I keep giving her water using a syringe almost every 2 hours. Is that okay?

3. I look at the kind of poop she's doing and if it's very watery then I give her less water.

4. She keeps making so much sound whenever I keep her outside. Idk why she does it and as soon as I keep her in her cage she starts biting her pin feathers. She does that grooming thing rarely when she is outside.

5. She sleeps A LOT. Everytime I feed her and keep her in her cage to let her do that grooming thing she does it and then sleeps.
I keep a thin cloth around the cage to give her darkness. Is it normal for baby parrots to sleep a lot?

6. Oh and I am feeding her meshed apples and chikoo and meshed dal and rice.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
We brought home a baby parrot who is about 3-4 weeks old. She is probably an alexandrine parrot.
Now there are things I want to ask bc it is my first time having a baby parrot at home.

1. How often should I feed her food? She gets very excited every time she sees some food and I stop giving her food when it looks like her crop is filled.

2. I keep giving her water using a syringe almost every 2 hours. Is that okay?

3. I look at the kind of poop she's doing and if it's very watery then I give her less water.

4. She keeps making so much sound whenever I keep her outside. Idk why she does it and as soon as I keep her in her cage she starts biting her pin feathers. She does that grooming thing rarely when she is outside.

5. She sleeps A LOT. Everytime I feed her and keep her in her cage to let her do that grooming thing she does it and then sleeps.
I keep a thin cloth around the cage to give her darkness. Is it normal for baby parrots to sleep a lot?

6. Oh and I am feeding her meshed apples and chikoo and meshed dal and rice.
Welcome to the forums, @Mikotheparrot and your baby! I must ask you though, are you still in contact with whoever it was who sold you this parrot? I do not wish to alarm you, but baby parrots can be a bit of a challenge to raise, so I would hope that whoever you bought her from is available to give you advice as to what to feed and when - ideally they should not be sold until they have been eating solid adult food for at least a week or two. The link below was written a by one of our members who is a breeder. The first half may be a bit heavy going, but it will give you information that may assist you in the meantime until one of our members more experienced with baby birds may be able to help you, because unfortunately I have no experience with them ...

In the meantime if you are able to contact your bird's breeder or seller for help I think that's your best bet in the immediate term. I hope this helps you and your baby bird, and I wish you the best of luck! 🙏🙏🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts