Help! My cockatiel laid an egg!

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
My cockatiel just laid her very first egg! Idk what to do. Itā€™s unfertilized and I donā€™t know if sheā€™ll lay more or how to help her. I tried setting up an area for her in her travel cage but she kept climbing everywhere to get out

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My cockatiel just laid her very first egg! Idk what to do. Itā€™s unfertilized and I donā€™t know if sheā€™ll lay more or how to help her. I tried setting up an area for her in her travel cage but she kept climbing everywhere to get out
Is she trying to incubate the egg? If so, leave it with her, otherwise she could start laying eggs excessively.
Where did she originally lay the egg?

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Is she trying to incubate the egg? If so, leave it with her, otherwise she could start laying eggs excessively.
Where did she originally lay the egg?
She originally laid it on my hand because she was on me. She flew away from the egg but I still think she has some more to lay. Vet told me to leave the egg with her but sheā€™s paid zero attention to it.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The general advice Iā€™ve heard is that if they arenā€™t paying the egg attention itā€™s safe to throw it away.
Iā€™m not saying the vet is wrong however.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
She originally laid it on my hand because she was on me. She flew away from the egg but I still think she has some more to lay. Vet told me to leave the egg with her but sheā€™s paid zero attention to it.
She laid an egg in your hand? Wow! That's quite a gift! makes wonder what the psychic symbolism is for that!

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
The general advice Iā€™ve heard is that if they arenā€™t paying the egg attention itā€™s safe to throw it away.
Iā€™m not saying the vet is wrong however.
Yes thatā€™s what Iā€™ve heard too! I want to cook it for her, but I think she still has another egg to lay so Iā€™m leaving it a little long cause the vet said I could encourage her to finish laying.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yes thatā€™s what Iā€™ve heard too! I want to cook it for her, but I think she still has another egg to lay so Iā€™m leaving it a little long cause the vet said I could encourage her to finish laying.
I wouldnā€™t cook it since itā€™s been sitting at room temp for so long, maybe if she lays another.

mybluebirb

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
one female indian ringneck

Hi! how is she now?

my indian ringneck is going through the exact same thing and iā€™m worried sick! sheā€™s laid two eggs so far, the second being today at like 2am (sheā€™s keeping me on my toes!) Iā€™m not sure if sheā€™ll have another or not, if she does itā€™ll probably be due tomorrow night (past midnight I mean). Unfortunately both of her eggs cracked but I bought fake eggs that I can replace her next (hopefully there is no next) eggs with

Any updates and advice? Iā€™m stressing more than my birdy!

Most Reactions