Constant egg laying

MelodySong

Jun 9, 2024
Parrots
White female parakeet named Melody
Hello everyone. I have a female parakeet I adopted from someone on craigslist a few months back. She is not housed with any other birds but resides in the same room with my two diamond doves, separate cages of course.
I plan on getting her a friend/male parakeet soon, however more so the last few months she has been laying eggs despite my efforts to prevent that.
I have browsed other forum topics and such discussing this and taken measures to help her not lay so often. She never had anything resembling a nest to begin with and always lays her eggs on the bottom of her cage. I provide her oyster grit as well as grinder cuttlebone into powder every other day if not daily for her seed mix, which is the Sunburst gourmet blend. I leave at least one egg in the cage for about a week or so before removing it so she doesn't lay as often either.
However it seems no matter what I try she keeps laying eggs every now and then. She laid one egg almost two weeks ago, and in the past week/few days ago, she laid another. I have left both but just now, I am at my wits end because she just laid a THIRD egg and seemed like she was straining to lay another egg! Despite no fourth egg. She was in a very strange position and no fourth egg still as I am typing, but regardless I am very worried.
I have heard of some parakeets just laying regardless and some getting a shot from the vet for it because it's a genetic thing? But I'm not sure how well received that sort of thing is. I'm not sure if that is my only sure option as well. Any experienced help is very appreciated as it hurts to see her in any pain or constantly fussing over unfertilized eggs. It only makes my worry grow with the introduction of a friend, because I don't want this to add to it further but I'm completely thrown off here.

Additionally, she gets darkness at night to rest and has a routine of night time sleep time, and daytime sunlight sifting through the windows.

Hello everyone. I have a female parakeet I adopted from someone on craigslist a few months back. She is not housed with any other birds but resides in the same room with my two diamond doves, separate cages of course.
I plan on getting her a friend/male parakeet soon, however more so the last few months she has been laying eggs despite my efforts to prevent that.
I have browsed other forum topics and such discussing this and taken measures to help her not lay so often. She never had anything resembling a nest to begin with and always lays her eggs on the bottom of her cage. I provide her oyster grit as well as grinder cuttlebone into powder every other day if not daily for her seed mix, which is the Sunburst gourmet blend. I leave at least one egg in the cage for about a week or so before removing it so she doesn't lay as often either.
However it seems no matter what I try she keeps laying eggs every now and then. She laid one egg almost two weeks ago, and in the past week/few days ago, she laid another. I have left both but just now, I am at my wits end because she just laid a THIRD egg and seemed like she was straining to lay another egg! Despite no fourth egg. She was in a very strange position and no fourth egg still as I am typing, but regardless I am very worried.
I have heard of some parakeets just laying regardless and some getting a shot from the vet for it because it's a genetic thing? But I'm not sure how well received that sort of thing is. I'm not sure if that is my only sure option as well. Any experienced help is very appreciated as it hurts to see her in any pain or constantly fussing over unfertilized eggs. It only makes my worry grow with the introduction of a friend, because I don't want this to add to it further but I'm completely thrown off here.

Additionally, she gets darkness at night to rest and has a routine of night time sleep time, and daytime sunlight sifting through the windows.
Vets have shots for that. After my conure is done with the 7 eggs she is sitting on, she is getting one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back