Help need advice I’m confused 😕

Kimmb615

Jun 29, 2022
Middle Tennessee
Parrots
A budgerigar Parakeet
Question 🙋‍♀️ someone on a Facebook parrot forum told me to never cover my budgies cage. I cover it sides and back in the day for AC purposes. I cover at night bc he likes it. I leave a spot open for air. She said they don’t get cold and have cages and not tanks like reptiles for a reason. She told me to get a grow light for uva uvb so I did. My birds been cold and lost some weight. I think her advice is suspect. Is it bad to cover your birds cage too and sides or sides too and back to keep them warm ? Does it prevent ventilation causing respiratory issues ? Please help.

Yipes! I don't think there are any rules... cage-covering is often an accepted method of giving birds night-time peace... if a/c is a problem, I'd move the cage... and hey - birds get cold! Tell you what ; I'll rest easier if you get your advice HERE, from a well-reputed international public forum, as opposed to a lone Facebook person! I'm no budgie expert, but there are plenty here!

Yipes! I don't think there are any rules... cage-covering is often an accepted method of giving birds night-time peace... if a/c is a problem, I'd move the cage... and hey - birds get cold! Tell you what ; I'll rest easier if you get your advice HERE, from a well-reputed international public forum, as opposed to a lone Facebook person! I'm no budgie expert, but there are plenty here!
Thank you 😊 I’m so overwhelmed with opinions my head is spinning. Emotionally exhausted to say the least🫣. I keep the cage away from the floor vent. I will be brutally honest - I’m 55 and female - hot flashes- so I get hot 🥵 in the south with almost 100% humidity. That’s why I keep the cage covered back and sides for the day (when he is in there). His cage is clean always. I wash the cotton sheet Over the cage frequently. Yes I’m figuring how is that harmful to give respiratory issues the vet never told me it was.

I personally have tried FB groups, for both birds and rats, and hated them every time. So many people with such mean and sometimes wrong opinions, often incapable of expressing themselves constructively without insulting the people who just wanted help!!! This forum has been much kinder to me over the years and I value the advice here.

As for covering the cage, I agree with GaleriaGila, different bird owners will put their birds to bed differently but cage covering is very common and even popular. It does protect birds from drafts at night or if they live by a window or air vent (although, if the location is cold 24/7 because of a window or air vent, you may consider moving it so that the blanket isn't necessary all day long).

As long as the front of the cage is not covered most of the day, and you have a cage with bars, not a tank or solid acrylic, respiratory issues won't be a problem most likely... and if you do have to see a vet for respiratory issues, you can talk about the cage at that time, rather than worry about unsolicited facebook advice!! That's what I say. And at night, birds do need darkness and quiet, and a LOT of people opt to use blankets over the cage to give them that unless they're able to close them in a separate room away from nighttime people activities.

Edit--also, I wonder what that random facebook user would say about my bird cages having a sheet on the back........ to protect my walls from projectile chop and bird poop!!! Ugh, people on facebook are needlessly mean.

I personally have tried FB groups, for both birds and rats, and hated them every time. So many people with such mean and sometimes wrong opinions, often incapable of expressing themselves constructively without insulting the people who just wanted help!!! This forum has been much kinder to me over the years and I value the advice here.

As for covering the cage, I agree with GaleriaGila, different bird owners will put their birds to bed differently but cage covering is very common and even popular. It does protect birds from drafts at night or if they live by a window or air vent (although, if the location is cold 24/7 because of a window or air vent, you may consider moving it so that the blanket isn't necessary all day long).

As long as the front of the cage is not covered most of the day, and you have a cage with bars, not a tank or solid acrylic, respiratory issues won't be a problem most likely... and if you do have to see a vet for respiratory issues, you can talk about the cage at that time, rather than worry about unsolicited facebook advice!! That's what I say. And at night, birds do need darkness and quiet, and a LOT of people opt to use blankets over the cage to give them that unless they're able to close them in a separate room away from nighttime people activities.

Edit--also, I wonder what that random facebook user would say about my bird cages having a sheet on the back........ to protect my walls from projectile chop and bird poop!!! Ugh, people on facebook are needlessly mean.
They are so awful over there on Facebook. You articulated it perfectly. I don’t know why they are like that. I’ll stick to over here from now on ☺️ I put in a call to my avian vet for that question before I read your response. I’m waiting for the call back. She also told me over on Facebook that it’s a myth birds get cold. She even posted a photo of how her birds are close to her window ac unit 😯. Thank you so much for your input, I sincerely appreciate your kindness very much

I agree with everything the posters above are saying! I keep my budgies’ and Quaker Parrot’s cages partly covered all day and cover them more ( though not all the way) at night to help block light. My Quaker prefers having the corner closest to the window blocked by the blanket as he gets spooked by things he sees outside. While keeping a bird completely covered 24/7 is cruel, you are not doing anything wrong by keeping your birds partly covered! As for the Facebook poster’s claim that birds getting cold “ is a myth,” well let’s just say it’s probably best to steer clear of advice from that person!

Question 🙋‍♀️ someone on a Facebook parrot forum told me to never cover my budgies cage. I cover it sides and back in the day for AC purposes. I cover at night bc he likes it. I leave a spot open for air. She said they don’t get cold and have cages and not tanks like reptiles for a reason. She told me to get a grow light for uva uvb so I did. My birds been cold and lost some weight. I think her advice is suspect. Is it bad to cover your birds cage too and sides or sides too and back to keep them warm ? Does it prevent ventilation causing respiratory issues ? Please help.
Hi
I have lived in a situation for about 3 years with a conure. I did face these problems of air conditioning and covering the cage. Through trial and error and continuously ensuring ur bird’s welfare is the way to go. Every situation is unique and doesn’t have set standards. I found using covers in various percentages throughout the day made my bird happier.

I do the same as you. Partially covered in daytime due to AC on and completely covered at night. Both were recommended by my vet. Otto gets outside every day for sunshine. He's a happy, healthy boy.

Hi
I have lived in a situation for about 3 years with a conure. I did face these problems of air conditioning and covering the cage. Through trial and error and continuously ensuring ur bird’s welfare is the way to go. Every situation is unique and doesn’t have set standards. I found using covers in various percentages throughout the day made my bird happier.
Thank you! I didn’t see the harm in it. Even if the ac isn’t on them they can get chilled and that can stress their little bodies out

I do the same as you. Partially covered in daytime due to AC on and completely covered at night. Both were recommended by my vet. Otto gets outside every day for sunshine. He's a happy, healthy boy.
Thank you 😊 I didn’t think it would harm him but like a bird Mom I had to ask. He especially won’t sleep uncovered for sure. He stares at me and keeps watch 👀 and sometimes squaks to be covered to go to bed. Each bird is different 🙂

I agree with everything the posters above are saying! I keep my budgies’ and Quaker Parrot’s cages partly covered all day and cover them more ( though not all the way) at night to help block light. My Quaker prefers having the corner closest to the window blocked by the blanket as he gets spooked by things he sees outside. While keeping a bird completely covered 24/7 is cruel, you are not doing anything wrong by keeping your birds partly covered! As for the Facebook poster’s claim that birds getting cold “ is a myth,” well let’s just say it’s probably best to steer clear of advice from that person!
Oh yes I agree they need some air at night and never completely cover the cage. Mine loves the dark for sleep it’s funny how all birds are different isn’t it ? Their little personalities are too cute. Thank you for giving me input on this, I would never want to put my baby in harms way

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back