Help needed

Tom's mum

New member
Joined
Aug 18, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Parrots
Blue headed amazon
Hi everyone, we've had our Amazon for two years now but the last 6 months have been hell. Constant flock calling that's getting worse every day. It's usually when he hears me talking to anyone then he really kicks off and nothing seems to calm him. We've tried ignoring him, doesn't work, we've tried rewarding good behaviour, doesn't work and even tried clicker training which also didn't work. I'd be grateful for any advice at all. I know parrots squawk and flock call etc and I'm fine with than but this is all day long. I do hope someone out there can help as I really don't want to rehome him but it's getting so hard to keep him.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: AMD
Kinda sounds like he's bored? Also how old is he? Some of it could be hormonal. My OWA was really hormonal this year.
 
Agree with above. My avian vet is a strong believer in distraction. TV, streaming, radio, toys,a variety of toys, especially chew, foot etc and more. Changing toys often. Loved toys today, hated tomorrow. Boredom is the number one cause of problems among large parrots. Hormones a close second.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: AMD
With Amazons, never discount the hormones, which differ from year to year. 2 years ago it was HORRIBLE for my yellow shoulder amazon Salty. lasted forever and very intense. Patience my young padawan. Patience.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AMD
Back
Top Bottom