Help please! How concerned should I be?

Cioran and Camus

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Two lovebirds
Cioran (blue one) - aprox 1 year old
Camus (green one) - aprox 2 years old
Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have two young lovebirds. Cioran (blue) and Camus (green).

I saw last evening, more then 12 hours ago, that Cioran which is also a lot more active and full of energy, has a little red spot near his eye, like a small wound or something. I am not sure.
Has anyone seen something similar or knows if I should already go see a vet. He does not act different or strange in any way. Eats like usual, flying, singing, like everyday so far.

I appreciate any suggestion!
Thanks!
David

Attachments

• 333571145_100391223012014_7442933977799784167_n.jpg
    333571145_100391223012014_7442933977799784167_n.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 333792285_136139806060613_6071051309427282557_n.jpg
    333792285_136139806060613_6071051309427282557_n.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have two young lovebirds. Cioran (blue) and Camus (green).

I saw last evening, more then 12 hours ago, that Cioran which is also a lot more active and full of energy, has a little red spot near his eye, like a small wound or something. I am not sure.
Has anyone seen something similar or knows if I should already go see a vet. He does not act different or strange in any way. Eats like usual, flying, singing, like everyday so far.

Thanks!
David
Hi David, Cioran & Camus, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry sweet little Cioran seems to have done something to that eye :( Without knowing how or why his eye appears that way, it does look kinda similar to an issue I had with my lorikeet Lilly's eye at one stage. I have NO idea how she did it, she was notorious for getting herself into all sorts of trouble, God rest her blessed, manic little soul, but I took her to the vet and she did indeed have a tiny nick on her lower eyelid. The vet checked it out to ensure there was nothing more serious going on or risk of infection and thankfully there wasn't, which gave me HUGE peace of mind just finding out that alone, gave me some metacam for any pain she may have had, and she was right as rain in 3 or 4 days. So I think, as eyes are so very delicate and sensitive, it would be a good idea if you are able get it checked out :)

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the very best with Cioran :)

OP
Cioran and Camus

Cioran and Camus

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Two lovebirds
Hi David, Cioran & Camus, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry sweet little Cioran seems to have done something to that eye :( Without knowing how or why his eye appears that way, it does look kinda similar to an issue I had with my lorikeet Lilly's eye at one stage. I have NO idea how she did it, she was notorious for getting herself into all sorts of trouble, God rest her blessed, manic little soul, but I took her to the vet and she did indeed have a tiny nick on her lower eyelid. The vet checked it out to ensure there was nothing more serious going on or risk of infection and thankfully there wasn't, which gave me HUGE peace of mind just finding out that alone, gave me some metacam for any pain she may have had, and she was right as rain in 3 or 4 days. So I think, as eyes are so very delicate and sensitive, it would be a good idea if you are able get it checked out :)

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the very best with Cioran :)
Hi! Cioran as well has the same energy you describe Lilly had! I kind of think the same way as he is searching, playing, picking stuff and climbing as much as he can. I will consider a vet as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your reply! Appreciate it!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
LaManuka's advice is spot on and I have nothing to add to that, but I wanted to welcome you, Cioran & Camus to the forum. I'm glad you joined us, and I'm sending healing prayers to your beautiful boy.
Please update us on how he's doing:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi! Cioran as well has the same energy you describe Lilly had! I kind of think the same way as he is searching, playing, picking stuff and climbing as much as he can. I will consider a vet as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your reply! Appreciate it!
No trouble at all, David, you're most welcome, I hope your little one will be ok 🙏

OP
Cioran and Camus

Cioran and Camus

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Two lovebirds
He is alright! Happy to see his little wound healed and he going through it like it did even happen.

p.s. Sorry for the late update, the photo was done yesterday but I forgot to post it, at the time of this post the wound disappeared completely
20230320_171748.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello all,

Thanks!
David
It's possible that he accidentally scratched himself with one of his toenails while grooming his face. It's amazing they don't do that more often. I know I've scratched my face with a little snag on my fingernail many times. It doesn't look at all swollen which would indicate possible infection.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He is alright! Happy to see his little wound healed and he going through it like it did even happen.

p.s. Sorry for the late update, the photo was done yesterday but I forgot to post it, at the time of this post the wound disappeared completely
View attachment 48560

Thank you so much for the update! I love that little smile on his beautiful face:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I don't care what anyone says- of course our birds smile!
I couldn't agree more, and I think that they have the sweetest smiles in the world:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts