Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
JJ came with the triple roof blue and white cage; too small for a Quaker but fine for a budgie. But, the three roofs attach separately and there is a potential for gaps. For the average budgie, I would say itā€™s a nice cage but with Cricketā€™s ability to escape/ get her head caught, I probably wouldnā€™t recommend that one.
Thank you! I will avoid it then! She is far too savvy for her own good!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Its a PetCo cage 30x18x18 called a finch flight cage and its $69. Should be easy to find in Alaska. You and Me cages are a Petco brand.
I canā€™t find it in my petco and my mom almost definitely wonā€™t drive to anchorage for a cage. My petco has the ranch style one and the scallop top and thatā€™s it really. Never anything else.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
If you go on PetCo website and search for bird cages you will see a terrific cage with a stand that's very similar to the you and me finch flight cage. The brand is Topeakmart. With the wheeled stand its about $89 and without stand its $55. You really should look at the PetCo website. They are having a sale on a cage like the one I offered to send you and that Zero recommended, the Yaheetech 54" tall wheeled cage for only $112 in white powder coat finish. A great buy and Cricket would look so cute in it.
Sadly, it isnā€™t available. Thereā€™s only ever 2 or 3 cages available since my petco has a small bird selection.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The "barn" style Prevue Hendryx cage is good because it has horizontal bars on front and back and a door that opens out like a landing.
It is a wee bit short but it is on my list! I didnā€™t really think of what you did though! Great eye, Donna!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
So uh, anyone know what it means when something you are thinking about appears in your dream? Last night I had a dream that I ended up buying the barn style cage but it was purple. cricket told me that there was a budgie in my momā€™s bathroom and I saw it and took it into my room and put it in the brown version of the cage. Then a budgie landed on my shoulder when I went outside and I took it in too. Then, my house turned to dust, revealing the frame, which was, you guessed it! A giant version of that cage. Is this a sign or something??? Should I be scared?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So uh, anyone know what it means when something you are thinking about appears in your dream? Last night I had a dream that I ended up buying the barn style cage but it was purple. cricket told me that there was a budgie in my momā€™s bathroom and I saw it and took it into my room and put it in the brown version of the cage. Then a budgie landed on my shoulder when I went outside and I took it in too. Then, my house turned to dust, revealing the frame, which was, you guessed it! A giant version of that cage. Is this a sign or something??? Should I be scared?
Scared that you and your parents are going to turn into a giant budgies and your house into a giant barn style birdcage? Nah. Don't worry. But I think the barn cage is nice if you can get one for cricket. Maybe your local Petco can special order the cage you want since they don't stock all of them.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Scared that you and your parents are going to turn into a giant budgies and your house into a giant barn style birdcage? Nah. Don't worry. But I think the barn cage is nice if you can get one for cricket. Maybe your local Petco can special order the cage you want since they don't stock all of them.
Nah, I think Iā€™m more scared of being a tiny hooman in a giant cage. Probably deeply rooted in my megalophobia (fear of large objects). Itā€™s partly why Iā€™m scared of semi-trucks, large buildings, ships, mountains, large trees, etc. being so small in a giant bird cage is horrifying to me! The more I think about it, the worse it gets. Yeesh.

Yeah, according to the dimensions, itā€™s 2 inches taller than the purple flight cage so I do think Iā€™m going with that one. Not too tall, and not too small. Itā€™s just right! Also, itā€™s not super bright and eye catching, so it will fit nicely in my eyesore of a room! A nice contrast to the ugly pinky purple walls. I do feel bad she doesnā€™t and wonā€™t have a giant cage like Rico, but she will have a good amount of space in hers. And on the bright side, cleaning and rearranging will be 100x easier! I donā€™t have to plan out how to put a perch in the back, I wonā€™t roll over my toes with it, i wonā€™t get so upset with a perch and cry over it, and I wonā€™t have to use 12 pieces of paper to cover the bottom! So, while it may not be huge, it will be a good cage for my little crick!

And once she is able to fly, her cage door will be open as long as Iā€™m awake and in the room. Just like Ricoā€™s! And she will have her own landing platforms! So I see it as a win!

Edit: also, petco will not do special orders for me. Petzoo does however have this cage in stock sometimes. I saw itā€™s box today! Still donā€™t have a great size reference, but Iā€™ve got an idea. I could see if petzoo will order this, although itā€™d probably be pricey and more costly than ordering it from Amazon.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Nah, I think Iā€™m more scared of being a tiny hooman in a giant cage. Probably deeply rooted in my megalophobia (fear of large objects). Itā€™s partly why Iā€™m scared of semi-trucks, large buildings, ships, mountains, large trees, etc. being so small in a giant bird cage is horrifying to me! The more I think about it, the worse it gets. Yeesh.

Yeah, according to the dimensions, itā€™s 2 inches taller than the purple flight cage so I do think Iā€™m going with that one. Not too tall, and not too small. Itā€™s just right! Also, itā€™s not super bright and eye catching, so it will fit nicely in my eyesore of a room! A nice contrast to the ugly pinky purple walls. I do feel bad she doesnā€™t and wonā€™t have a giant cage like Rico, but she will have a good amount of space in hers. And on the bright side, cleaning and rearranging will be 100x easier! I donā€™t have to plan out how to put a perch in the back, I wonā€™t roll over my toes with it, i wonā€™t get so upset with a perch and cry over it, and I wonā€™t have to use 12 pieces of paper to cover the bottom! So, while it may not be huge, it will be a good cage for my little crick!

And once she is able to fly, her cage door will be open as long as Iā€™m awake and in the room. Just like Ricoā€™s! And she will have her own landing platforms! So I see it as a win!

Edit: also, petco will not do special orders for me. Petzoo does however have this cage in stock sometimes. I saw itā€™s box today! Still donā€™t have a great size reference, but Iā€™ve got an idea. I could see if petzoo will order this, although itā€™d probably be pricey and more costly than ordering it from Amazon.
A smaller than ideal cage is okay as long as the bird gets plenty of out of cage time. Rocky's cage is smaller than I want. She's a big girl for a budgie (her Mom is a huge English, 65 grams) and her cage is about 30x16jx21 high, a Vision II model that was recently discontinued. I like it because it's low mess due to the very deep clear plastic bottom. But when I let her out she flies from "here to there" a few times but mostly all she wants to do is sit somewhere, preen, and chatter with the other budgies, specifically the BOYS, which brings me to my current concern- female budgie puberty! Rocky is almost seven months old and in the last month her cere has changed from a light bluish white to a medium brown and she is obsessed with the two boy budgies in the next cage. I could put her cage in our bedroom where she would be the only bird but she would be lonely when we are at work or not in the bedroom. I want Rocky to be happy but I don't want her laying eggs!
IMG_20230531_111922840.jpg

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
A smaller than ideal cage is okay as long as the bird gets plenty of out of cage time. Rocky's cage is smaller than I want. She's a big girl for a budgie (her Mom is a huge English, 65 grams) and her cage is about 30x16jx21 high, a Vision II model that was recently discontinued. I like it because it's low mess due to the very deep clear plastic bottom. But when I let her out she flies from "here to there" a few times but mostly all she wants to do is sit somewhere, preen, and chatter with the other budgies, specifically the BOYS, which brings me to my current concern- female budgie puberty! Rocky is almost seven months old and in the last month her cere has changed from a light bluish white to a medium brown and she is obsessed with the two boy budgies in the next cage. I could put her cage in our bedroom where she would be the only bird but she would be lonely when we are at work or not in the bedroom. I want Rocky to be happy but I don't want her laying eggs! View attachment 51073
You are very right about that! I personally just feel it isnā€™t very fair lol

Oh yikes! I am not super knowledgeable on females and males being together and the hormones that follow, since Iā€™ve never wanted to mix males and females of the same species. Iā€™m sure youā€™re already doing this, but just do the basic hormone control: 14 hours of sleep, foraging toys, an abundance of toys, feed a lower fat diet, no happy huts or nesty places, no sexual touching (back, wings, tail, chest), constant rearranging of cages (for everyone). They breed whenever they feel like the conditions are right, so making sure the conditions to breed are unfavorable, theyā€™re less than likely to breed from my understanding. Again, this is just my knowledge of hormones and prevention, along with the few weeks of research I did when I first got my first budgies (my friend was thinking of getting a hen so we could breed them? Then I learned about the risks and complications that could happen. So yeahā€¦) so please take my advice with a grain of salt! Also, hereā€™s an article I found:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My three males live with my single female Hedwig.
They get 12 hours of good sleep sometimes 13.
I donā€™t have any bowls bigger than 5oz. With the exception of the water bowl which she canā€™t nest in.
They all feed from a plate on the cage floor.

I agree with @Rico_Tiel about cage rearranging and not feeding excessive fat/carbs/protein. Sugar isnā€™t really an issue since my budgies donā€™t eat fruit.

I canā€™t say anything about petting as my budgies donā€™t allow that!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I donā€™t have any bowls bigger than 5oz. With the exception of the water bowl which she canā€™t nest in.

I agree with @Rico_Tiel about cage rearranging and not feeding excessive fat/carbs/protein. Sugar isnā€™t really an issue since my budgies donā€™t eat fruit.

I'm not worried about Rocky mating with one of my males because I won't let them share a cage or be out of the cage at the same time. I'm concerned that Rocky is rapidly getting into breeding condition because she is very healthy, eats an amazing diet (no sugar), her cere is now brown, and I have four healthy attractive male budgies in my house. The males are not having ANY physical contact with Rocky but she has close visual contact with the boys. I think she's frustrated because she wants to breed and I won't let her. She wants to "get at" the boys but I won't let her. I don't have any hidey holes and I don't touch her body at all. She sleeps from 9pm to sunrise, now about 6am. I cant modify her sleeping hours because our house only has two rooms (plus bathroom). I hand raised her from hatching so she's bonded to us and not afraid of anything but she has a very strong chewing/biting instinct. She wants to chew on any fabrics, toys, wood, leather, and unfortunately human skin! I don't think she means to hurt us but she flies to us and marches up our arms to our shoulders and takes a bite out of our ears and neck. Nothing I've tried modifies her biting behavior so we just wear hoodies when shes out. I have had lots of budgies over many, many years and I've never had a male budgie that was a biter. Females I've had were much more likely to bite. I love my baby girl Rocky very much but I'm worried about her hormonal behavior toward my males and her biting is making it difficult to enjoy her when shes out of her cage which is several times every day. I don't want to put her in another room where she will be all alone when we are not home (we both work 32 hours a week) to keep her away from the boys and we don't have another room. She would still be able to hear the boys if I did try to isolate her. I want Rocky to be happy! Any advice on how to handle Rocky's sexual maturity and biting at this point would be appreciated.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I really wish Rocky was a male. It would have made everything so much easier but shes my baby girl and I love her. I have always avoided having female birds because of the potential egg laying egg binding issues. Boys are just so much easier on so many levels.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'm not worried about Rocky mating with one of my males because I won't let them share a cage or be out of the cage at the same time. I'm concerned that Rocky is rapidly getting into breeding condition because she is very healthy, eats an amazing diet (no sugar), her cere is now brown, and I have four healthy attractive male budgies in my house. The males are not having ANY physical contact with Rocky but she has close visual contact with the boys. I think she's frustrated because she wants to breed and I won't let her. She wants to "get at" the boys but I won't let her. I don't have any hidey holes and I don't touch her body at all. She sleeps from 9pm to sunrise, now about 6am. I cant modify her sleeping hours because our house only has two rooms (plus bathroom). I hand raised her from hatching so she's bonded to us and not afraid of anything but she has a very strong chewing/biting instinct. She wants to chew on any fabrics, toys, wood, leather, and unfortunately human skin! I don't think she means to hurt us but she flies to us and marches up our arms to our shoulders and takes a bite out of our ears and neck. Nothing I've tried modifies her biting behavior so we just wear hoodies when shes out. I have had lots of budgies over many, many years and I've never had a male budgie that was a biter. Females I've had were much more likely to bite. I love my baby girl Rocky very much but I'm worried about her hormonal behavior toward my males and her biting is making it difficult to enjoy her when shes out of her cage which is several times every day. I don't want to put her in another room where she will be all alone when we are not home (we both work 32 hours a week) to keep her away from the boys and we don't have another room. She would still be able to hear the boys if I did try to isolate her. I want Rocky to be happy! Any advice on how to handle Rocky's sexual maturity and biting at this point would be appreciated.
Iā€™d make a post and that way you could receive many more helpful tips.

Now, my experience is very different as the only budgie Iā€™ve had that bites and occasionally seeks me out to bite is male!
My female is very gentle, actually.

All birds are obviously different though!

Iā€™m not sure Rocky would lay eggs if she came into contact with a male.
I have a pair of tiels that have lived together for almost 3 years. They breed often but have never had eggs as there is not where for Sheer Khan (the female) to lay them.

Iā€™m not encouraging you to let her have contact with them, she is your bird and you are much more able to tell how she may respond to physical contact with the males.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I wish I had any useful advice for you, but sadly I donā€™t. I am positive that others on the forum have advice though! So, just as @zERo suggested, you should make a post! It would benefit you, rocky, and other hoomans and their birds!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Iā€™d make a post and that way you could receive many more helpful tips.

Now, my experience is very different as the only budgie Iā€™ve had that bites and occasionally seeks me out to bite is male!
My female is very gentle, actually.

All birds are obviously different though!

Iā€™m not sure Rocky would lay eggs if she came into contact with a male.
I have a pair of tiels that have lived together for almost 3 years. They breed often but have never had eggs as there is not where for Sheer Khan (the female) to lay them.

Iā€™m not encouraging you to let her have contact with them, she is your bird and you are much more able to tell how she may respond to physical contact with the males.
I have two other female budgies that each share a cage with a male but those females dont seem interested in breeding. Their ceres dont turn brown like Rocky's has over the past month. I don't give any of them nest boxes. Im not sure I would trust Rocky not to be too aggressive with my male budgies. They are such gentle boys. She is very self confident and I fear she would bite them. Maybe she needs to be taught by other budgies not to bite. I can't seem to stop her biting no matter what I do. I don't punish her or yell at her. I'm never mean to her. I love my baby girl so much!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
GUYSSSS!!! WE GOT IT! I used my birthday money to buy Crickbread a new cage! I couldnā€™t afford a flighter, BUT we did manage to snag the barn cage! Although itā€™s not exactly the prettiest color, its still functional and it isnā€™t super ugly likeā€¦ cough cough this thing

FE0B96E0-0382-46F6-ABB5-0F64175B1625.jpeg

So yeah, itā€™s confirmed! And my mom literally did not care she was like ā€œoh okay, cool. As long as we sell the other one, I donā€™t care.ā€ So, yeah!

Cage:

3FAF3AD1-2E50-4A11-A352-F4B17680F23E.jpeg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Nice!! I really like the Prevue brand. All of Onaā€™s cages are Prevue and theyā€™ve been great.

Ehā€¦. Youā€™re right that first cage pictured is uhā€¦. Huh. :ROFLMAO: Why did they make it such a weird shape?!

The one you got looks nice! Thatā€™s actually very similar to Onaā€™s sleep cage and itā€™s been a great cage.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
GUYSSSS!!! WE GOT IT! I used my birthday money to buy Crickbread a new cage! I couldnā€™t afford a flighter, BUT we did manage to snag the barn cage! Although itā€™s not exactly the prettiest color, its still functional and it isnā€™t super ugly likeā€¦ cough cough this thing

View attachment 51685

So yeah, itā€™s confirmed! And my mom literally did not care she was like ā€œoh okay, cool. As long as we sell the other one, I donā€™t care.ā€ So, yeah!

Cage:

View attachment 51686
Cricket's going to like her new house. The door opens forward to make a ramp and all those horizontal bars will make it easy to climb around. Happy Birthday! You know someone's a great bird mama when birthday money is spent on birds.

Most Reactions