Help selecting a cage?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hi, so my budgie may never grow into her cage and is in a smaller cage temporarily for her safety. She has escaped numerous times and almost killed herself twice in that stupid thing. And I have a feeling that she may just never grow into it. I have been thinking about convincing my mom to sell that cage and buy another one with that money. It cannot be over 100$ and has to have small barspacing (.3 inches or less). I am aware I wonā€™t be able to get a very big cage with 100$ (USD), but something similarly sized to hers (20x20x32) would do just fine.

I am looking at these cages:

Table top flight cage

Tiel Cage

Table flight cage (shorter)

The cage my friend has for his tiel

Same thing but with a dome top

These are what Iā€™m looking at right now. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Edit: it has occurred to me that I have provided poor links. I will add screenshots here:

1. The table flight cage:
69C60FB2-FE32-41C0-98D2-771161CF164B.png
D56C1EE4-5488-4C9D-8501-1A94FE845DB6.png

The shorter one:
AF0C0E63-3F6A-4E57-B6C5-08C38C1F9CB4.png
5A35E70A-CBA0-4FFE-9304-7710A989B35D.png

The tall tiel cage:

96A247FE-390E-4910-832D-C6634F8D4EFF.png
CB9BC105-58A4-4A8E-9BC5-A44193F6C4B7.png

The cage my friend has:
BAFF5F86-0160-44E8-BB11-FA5CA8D3D108.png
9AB7EE24-3042-4FBC-A363-388DB5B885DE.png

The same cage with a dome:
D90EB183-919A-477B-A4E8-B8351621679D.png
3A403BB3-A5FA-497C-86F6-B135C29B81DE.png

These are big enough since she will get daily out time for several hours and Iā€™m considering the tall table flight cage. Just because it seems to have the most space. But, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hm, none of the links are working for me except the fourth one.

This is the cage I use for my elderly tiel, itā€™s $10 more than your budget though :/
Yaheetech 54-inch Wrought Iron Standing Large Parrot Parakeet Flight Bird Cage for Small Parrot Cockatiel Sun Parakeet Green Cheek Conure Lovebird Budgie Finch Canary Bird Cage with Stand https://a.co/d/4t7UTv5

The fourth cage looks fine but I would put it on a table or stand, otherwise she may feel insecure so low to the ground.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie

This is the cage I use for my elderly tiel, itā€™s $10 more than your budget though :/
Yaheetech 54-inch Wrought Iron Standing Large Parrot Parakeet Flight Bird Cage for Small Parrot Cockatiel Sun Parakeet Green Cheek Conure Lovebird Budgie Finch Canary Bird Cage with Stand https://a.co/d/4t7UTv5

The fourth cage looks fine but I would put it on a table or stand, otherwise she may feel insecure so low to the ground.
I just added screenshots! I didnā€™t realize the links were faulty, so my bad lol

hey, thatā€™s the cage I tried getting for Rico! It was lost in shipping, then we ordered a different cage, which was stolen IN THE POST OFFICE. The cage was like 50LBS of metal and was a 6 foot tall cage, so HOW does someone just up and steal that in broad daylight? So I do like that cage a lot, but I doubt my mom would reorder from that seller if it was in stock.

Yeah, all these cages will definitely go onto a table. If they donā€™t fit? Well, guess Iā€™m going thrifting then! I could get a $500+ table for 15 or so bucks. Or I could make some space temporarily and get a stand for the cage (the prevue ones are questionable for my table. the last two? they will fit on my table).

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Out of those I would either go with the last two or maybe the second purple one.
The other two are taller than wide so Cricket may not utilize the whole cage.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Can I ask your general location? I have a big cage I'm looking to get rid of. I might even be able to ship it but I'd have to look at the costs of that. It's a fairly light cage but it would still need a large box. I can't imagine the shipping being over 100 but it's possible. If you're interested we can figure it out. I'd just ask you pay for shipping.
It's this cage:
Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand, Large Birdcage for Pets, Metal Cage Standing Birdcage, Black Hammertone Finish https://a.co/d/hujKbyg

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Can I ask your general location? I have a big cage I'm looking to get rid of. I might even be able to ship it but I'd have to look at the costs of that. It's a fairly light cage but it would still need a large box. I can't imagine the shipping being over 100 but it's possible. If you're interested we can figure it out. I'd just ask you pay for shipping.
It's this cage:
Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand, Large Birdcage for Pets, Metal Cage Standing Birdcage, Black Hammertone Finish https://a.co/d/hujKbyg
Iā€™m in southern alaska. Shipping would be outrageous from Canada or the rest of North America. I do appreciate the offer though! But Iā€™m not sure my mother would be interested in paying 100+ for shipping or she would be very happy about me being on a forum (I am barely allowed to call establishments without her getting suspicious)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Iā€™m in southern alaska. Shipping would be outrageous from Canada or the rest of North America. I do appreciate the offer though! But Iā€™m not sure my mother would be interested in paying 100+ for shipping or she would be very happy about me being on a forum (I am barely allowed to call establishments without her getting suspicious)
Does Amazon charge you to ship to Alaska? Do you have a Prime account with Amazon? I have bought lots of cages from Amazon shipped to Maine and I never pay shipping. The cages I've bought are 24x18x30. See picture. No escape issues. The tray slides in higher up than pictured in my photo. This one is currently not being used. If you pay the shipping you can have one of mine. I have four not being used. All in perfect condition. I only paid about $100 each but it seems like the prices have gone up. I'll throw in a set of two 5" stainless steel bowls with stainless steel rings that attach to the cage with wing nuts. I just don't know how much it would cost to ship it.
Otherwise, I would get the short version of the 24x16 Prevue cage. Additional height is wasted space.
IMG_20230529_200221723.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I understand. I have extra cages and wish I could help you because as a minor you can't exactly go out and get a job to help yourself like adults can. But your parents understandably are concerned about things involving people they don't know.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Out of those I would either go with the last two or maybe the second purple one.
The other two are taller than wide so Cricket may not utilize the whole cage.
Actually, cricket utilizes all of her cages! Both being taller than wide. She likes to be low just as she does high! I saw the tiel one in person and I dunno about that one since itā€™s pretty dang tall and a bit too narrow for my taste but it could be an option, just not my first one. The lilac and the blue ones are definitely ones Iā€™m looking into.

The last two are a bit iffy for me since cricketā€™s old bar spacing was listed as the same and was actually 0.5 inches instead. Probs just an incompetent seller but I am a bit cautious of them.

I do think I have decided against the tiel cage since itā€™s kinda poor in design.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Does Amazon charge you to ship to Alaska? Do you have a Prime account with Amazon? I have bought lots of cages from Amazon shipped to Maine and I never pay shipping. The cages I've bought are 24x18x30. See picture. No escape issues. The tray slides in higher up than pictured in my photo. This one is currently not being used. If you pay the shipping you can have one of mine. I have four not being used. All in perfect condition. I only paid about $100 each but it seems like the prices have gone up. I'll throw in a set of two 5" stainless steel bowls with stainless steel rings that attach to the cage with wing nuts. I just don't know how much it would cost to ship it.
Otherwise, I would get the short version of the 24x16 Prevue cage. Additional height is wasted space.
View attachment 51004
I do have prime but often times things cannot ship to my location. Things like some bird cages, electronics, some bird toys, etc. it has to go through Canada to get to Alaska so itā€™s technically ā€œinternationalā€.

Alright, Iā€™ll see if itā€™s available in about 3 months (when cricket is closer to adulthood) and Iā€™ll check petzoo since they sell a myriad of prevue and A&E cages. If itā€™s not available, Iā€™ll go for the bigger one since itā€™s only 3 bucks more.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I understand. I have extra cages and wish I could help you because as a minor you can't exactly go out and get a job to help yourself like adults can. But your parents understandably are concerned about things involving people they don't know.
I do really appreciate that. I truly do! And what you said in this comment hit it on the head and said it perfectly.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Can you find a cage like this in your country? I think this is the same size as the one I have, and I got mine for about $50 (Aud) I think.
The one I have is extremely similar in width and depth to my flight cage, just not as tall. This is it on top of the flight cage. It would very comfortably house a single budgie.
20230324_173529.jpg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Can you find a cage like this in your country? I think this is the same size as the one I have, and I got mine for about $50 (Aud) I think.
The one I have is extremely similar in width and depth to my flight cage, just not as tall. This is it on top of the flight cage. It would very comfortably house a single budgie.
View attachment 51007
Oh yeah this is a good cage! I have Milly my sparrow in this type of cage too!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
View attachment 51007
I found a few ones on Amazon but they are either unavailable or are expensive and have insane shipping sadly

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 51007
Its a PetCo cage 30x18x18 called a finch flight cage and its $69. Should be easy to find in Alaska. You and Me cages are a Petco brand.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I have four of that Yaheetech 54" tall cage, all not being used, and would send one to Rico_tiel but shipping would probably cost more than $100.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's this cage:
That's a terrific cage for a budgie or any other small parrot

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's a terrific cage for a budgie or any other small parrot
If you go on PetCo website and search for bird cages you will see a terrific cage with a stand that's very similar to the you and me finch flight cage. The brand is Topeakmart. With the wheeled stand its about $89 and without stand its $55. You really should look at the PetCo website. They are having a sale on a cage like the one I offered to send you and that Zero recommended, the Yaheetech 54" tall wheeled cage for only $112 in white powder coat finish. A great buy and Cricket would look so cute in it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts