Help to track down this USA born CAG

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
Hello! Can you guys help me to track down this bird? He is supposed to be 8-9 year old, he is originally from USA. Owner moved back to Finland and bird came with him (as papers say, 2x grey, 2x cockatiel). Owner of him has died and his "estate" sold this bird to friend of mine. We are tracking him down so we can get the correct EU papers for him, they more than likely have existed but are lost at some point. So, has anyone seen ring markings like this? We would love to know who the breeder is... ...And no, that "1975" is not year, its something else (this bird is not 43yo)

All the info we have is that he is from USA and his Ring number is FX1975

c8697079aa.jpg

95aa8a9928.jpg

753b23e508.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Unfortunately, you may not be able to as the US hasn't ever put high importance on paperwork for pets like parrots like the EU has. Except for the old USDA bands they put on wild caught parrots in government quarantine back in the day, private breeder leg bands are next to impossible to track in the US. While I do believe we recently began requiring better documentation/tacking on CITES listed parrots, we've never required birds come with any kinds of papers or more proof of being captive raised than closed bands. No regulation on how breeders tracked or numbered bands and no central database either. He's a good looking bird, appears nice and healthy. I hope you can find his breeder or that the authorities in your country will at least be understanding that it's a closed band so the bird was clearly captive born and allow your friend to keep him.

I will say, I do believe "FX" may be a code used for birds hatched in the state of Florida, as we only have one "F" state and they often do reference the state the bird was hatched in on the band. But there are a lot of breeders in Florida due to the climate there being warm and sunny year round. I also could be 100% off base on this too.

Last edited:
OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
2x CAG, 2x YWA, BFA, Mealy, Festive, Hyacinth, B&G, Greater Vasa, 2x Lesser Sulphur Crested
Unfortunately, you may not be able to as the US hasn't ever put high importance on paperwork for pets like parrots like the EU has. Except for the old USDA bands they put on wild caught parrots in government quarantine back in the day, private breeder leg bands are next to impossible to track in the US. While I do believe we recently began requiring better documentation/tacking on CITES listed parrots, we've never required birds come with any kinds of papers or more proof of being captive raised than closed bands. No regulation on how breeders tracked or numbered bands and no central database either. He's a good looking bird, appears nice and healthy. I hope you can find his breeder or that the authorities in your country will at least be understanding that it's a closed band so the bird was clearly captive born and allow your friend to keep him.

I will say, I do believe "FX" may be a code used for birds hatched in the state of Florida, as we only have one "F" state and they often do reference the state the bird was hatched in on the band. But there are a lot of breeders in Florida due to the climate there being warm and sunny year round. I also could be 100% off base on this too.

Hello, yep i know this is a long shot. Finding a breeder with ring number here in EU is almost impossible too... Im just trying my luck if someone knows the breeder who uses markings like that (aka, has a bird with FX 1xxx band)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Ok, I’m looking at the records and I have some thoughts.

-is there any chance of getting in contact with Ms. Prince’s family? They may know at least what area of the country to start in.

-Why to you say the bird can’t be 45? He’s a grey; that isn’t terribly old.

-The other grey has a leg band with both a breeder code and a state code. The state code is “UT” meaning that bird hatched in Utah. If you can track down info on THAT bird, you might find more info on yours.

-FX would be a breeder code, not a state code. The state code for Florida is FL. FX could be the initials of the breeder or of the aviary. For example I myself use two codes, CLEV (my last name is Clevenger) and SSA (my aviary is Silver Sage Aviaries).

-Do you have Facebook? That’s actually where I would start digging. Join all the African Grey, Parrot breeder, Utah parrots, and New York parrots groups you can find, and ask your questions there. You are looking for a breeder of African Greys that uses the breeder code FX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Ok, I’m looking at the records and I have some thoughts.

-is there any chance of getting in contact with Ms. Prince’s family? They may know at least what area of the country to start in.

-Why to you say the bird can’t be 45? He’s a grey; that isn’t terribly old.

-The other grey has a leg band with both a breeder code and a state code. The state code is “UT” meaning that bird hatched in Utah. If you can track down info on THAT bird, you might find more info on yours.

-FX would be a breeder code, not a state code. The state code for Florida is FL. FX could be the initials of the breeder or of the aviary. For example I myself use two codes, CLEV (my last name is Clevenger) and SSA (my aviary is Silver Sage Aviaries).

-Do you have Facebook? That’s actually where I would start digging. Join all the African Grey, Parrot breeder, Utah parrots, and New York parrots groups you can find, and ask your questions there. You are looking for a breeder of African Greys that uses the breeder code FX.

All the info we got is from the family where the bird came from. They dont know more either.

He cant be 45 because he is 8-9, i just added that because i knew people will grab to that number even what i say :)... I think the 1975 is just a breeders running number of hatchlings...

Yep, i have facebook and i have added this same inquiry to few groups there. The other parrot is from different breeder than this one, i really dont think it would help anything to track him down.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
If you know the birds age then you are most likely right that that name is a hatch number.

In that case you are looking for a large scale breeder. Even if they don’t start with 1 every year (some do, including myself) they have produced a LOT of baby greys.

That actually means the other bird is even MORE likely to be a good lead for you. Both birds have large number on the bands indicating large operations. That type of commercial breeding facility almost never deals directly with individual buyers; they work mostly with brokers, pet stores, etc. It is very possible that both birds were purchased from the same shop or hand feeder, even if they were not purchased at the same time. If you can find that business, you will have someone who should have the records you need.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
If you know the birds age then you are most likely right that that name is a hatch number.

In that case you are looking for a large scale breeder. Even if they don’t start with 1 every year (some do, including myself) they have produced a LOT of baby greys.

That actually means the other bird is even MORE likely to be a good lead for you. Both birds have large number on the bands indicating large operations. That type of commercial breeding facility almost never deals directly with individual buyers; they work mostly with brokers, pet stores, etc. It is very possible that both birds were purchased from the same shop or hand feeder, even if they were not purchased at the same time. If you can find that business, you will have someone who should have the records you need.

Well actually i have a name of one Pet Store, they (the family) said the other (and third) grey are from there but this one is not. But well, you never know. Ill email them.

E: Damn, seems like that pet store doesnt exist anymore...

bc1b2d9ed1.jpg

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Yes, email them and just see if they know of anyone using that breeder code, or even if they can just tell you which breeder the other bird came from, because THAT breeder may very well know whose code that is. We often know the breeder codes of others who are moving in our same space. I could tell you any number of codes used on ringnecks, cockatiels, and green cheeks all over the country because those are my associates.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
If the store no longer exists, you should be able to contact the Chamber of Commerce in that city and find the name of the owners. Those people may still have the info you need.

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
If the store no longer exists, you should be able to contact the Chamber of Commerce in that city and find the name of the owners. Those people may still have the info you need.

I think its this,
https://parrotsoftheworld.com/

Address is the same and seems like they have used that other name too (Island Animals):
https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/b...kville-centre-ny-31630/reviews-and-complaints

Contacted them, lets hope.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Best of luck!

Even though we still don’t have a good system of tracking, there are ways to do it.

You could also look into calling the USDA (United States department of agriculture) in each state and seeing if they have a licensed breeder using that code. With numbers like that the breeder probably has a license. In GA we are required to keep documentation of every bird we bring in or produce, so you might make headway there.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
AT minimum, Parrots of the World is the export facility... info I can provide ATM.

There is the Leg Band Numbers Yahoo Group...
LegBandNumbers : Leg Band Numbers

Leg Band Registry (new - last two ones have been shut down)
Leg Band Registry

A few places that produce leg bands may or may not help trace the band if it's one of theirs...
L_M_Bird Leg Bands Products Catalogue
Red Bird Products
DL Products - Leg Bands, Bird Bands, Bird Rings
Bird Bands Bird Leg Rings Bird Leg Bands Bird Rings size Wholesale Retail Australia ?

Information on Leg Bands
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds
Choosing Your Bird

Additional Info....
Leg Bands

FX is probably Florida Exotics and they sell to Petco. You might not be able to really track more information than that...

http://www.parrotforums.com/98518-post18.html

Here's what I did pull up though.

FX Florida Exotics Bill Klein Tampa, FL USA 813-962-0605 [email protected]

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
That’s gold! Hopefully that is correct and FX is Florida Exotics; that would cut out a lot of steps!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Don't we all love a great detective story? Thanks to Dani, Monica and April, the OP might gain access to the required information. Good luck!!

OP
PL84

PL84

Jul 12, 2017
Finland
Parrots
Wow, nice guys!

It was FX Florida Exotics :)

We got things rolling now, THANK YOU EVERYONE!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Fantastic!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts