Help With Eating?

PockyMommy

Aug 31, 2012
West Hills, CA
Parrots
2 Turquoise Green-Cheek Conure

1 African Ringneck
Hi Everyone!

I just got my GC maybe 3 days ago. He likes to eat the fresh produce and beans.

However, he doesn't eat the seeds we offer him in the morning in his cage or harder foods for that matter (almonds, raw carrots, etc). He eats millet OUTSIDE of his cage though.

Also I don't see him drinking water in his cage either =/

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a question, What were they feeding the bird where you got it? It could have been on a different diet at the store/breeders. You probably don't see it but your bird is drinking they just don't do it consistently. Im not going to tell you how to raise your bird but when i bought mine he was a baby and they told me to keep him in the cage for the first 3 weeks only taking him out 3 times a day for 20mins so he can get used to it and to make sure he was eating, with a new bird they tend to not pay attention to the food when there in a new cage and can loose to much weight. But that was suggested by the breeder im sure not everyone does it and im sure there are plenty of healthy birds. You could try siting with him/her with the bowl of food and sow it to them make kind of a game of it. I hope this helps and im sure others will be along to help. Good luck Erik

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the reply! The breeder did give me a bit of the food that he was feeding it. I do leave the bird in the cage for periods of the day and take him out to let him spread his wings a bit and socialize.

I currently feed him the fresh produce out of the cage and in the cage. So during the day he would eat the amount of fresh produce I give to him in the cage and during the evening he eats with us.

That's great to hear that he is actually drinking water and I just don't see it. =]

Thanks again!

Thats good that you are feeding him the produce, Make sure you are feeding him fresh fruit also, not from a can as it has a lot of sugar also if you but the dried fruit make sure it is dehydrated and not cured with sugar. here is a site I buy my stuff from if you wanna go nuts. one thing you could try is get a glass of water and see if they'll drink from it. Birds will rarely deprive themselves of anything so not to worry. It sounds like you've got it all under control. Right now just spend time with your bird and get it used to being handled and let anyone else in your house handle it to so it gets use to everyone. But they do tend to bond with one person more then another sometimes

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back