Help with Quaker test results Calcium and pinworm

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
Hello to all ..
Need some suggestions ..
I took my Quaker Cosmo to the vet and waited for results .. now say his calcium is low and want to give him a shot I think in 3 diff visits .. is that ok?
He also has pinworm /ova . Oxyurid
Idk what they do for that .. is that contagious ? Any help will do . Thanks
He only eats the Zupreem cockatiel food that has pellets and seeds mixed but he only eats the safflower seeds doesnā€™t want anything else .. vet told me to buy Harrisonā€™s the fine one that are super tiny pellets and he wonā€™t touch it

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Sorry to hear Cosmo has a few health problems but always better to catch things early! Do you give him a cuttle bone or mineral block? These can help provide regular calcium. Most birds will chew on it if they need it; my budgies certainly do. In some cases, if the bird doesnā€™t seem to use the cuttle bone, some people will scrape some of the powder off on top of the seeds/ other food so that the bird ingests some calcium when he eats the food.

Are you/ the vet sure that itā€™s pinworms? Thatā€™s not a super common parasite. It would probably be treated with pyrantel or fenbendazole. If there are parasites present, itā€™s very important to keep the birdā€™s living area very clean as he can become reinfested by parasite eggs in his droppings. If I recall correctly , thereā€™s a slight chance that pinworms could be passed to people, but just use good handwashing protocol and you should be fine!

My Quaker hates Harrisonā€™s pellets which is too bad, but thereā€™s no changing his mind! If you have the money to buy a few different brands of pellets for Cosmo to try, I would encourage you to do so! Also, try frequently offering him foods like fresh vegetables, whole grains, and hard boiled egg. Fresh food is so good for birds! Best of luck ā¤ļø

OP
Rosy71

Rosy71

Nov 12, 2023
Florida
Parrots
Quacker
Sorry to hear Cosmo has a few health problems but always better to catch things early! Do you give him a cuttle bone or mineral block? These can help provide regular calcium. Most birds will chew on it if they need it; my budgies certainly do. In some cases, if the bird doesnā€™t seem to use the cuttle bone, some people will scrape some of the powder off on top of the seeds/ other food so that the bird ingests some calcium when he eats the food.
Are you/ the vet sure that itā€™s pinworms? Thatā€™s not a super common parasite. It would probably be treated with pyrantel or fenbendazole. If there are parasites present, itā€™s very important to keep the birdā€™s living area very clean as he can become reinfested by parasite eggs in his droppings. If I recall correctly , thereā€™s a slight chance that pinworms could be passed to people, but just use good handwashing protocol and you should be fine!
My Quaker hates Harrisonā€™s pellets which is too bad, but thereā€™s no changing his mind! If you have the money to buy a few different brands of pellets for Cosmo to try, I would encourage you to do so! Also, try frequently offering him foods like fresh vegetables, whole grains, and hard boiled egg. Fresh food is so good for birds! Best of luck ā¤ļø
Thanks so much for answering ..
He has one cuttlebone but doesnā€™t even look at it ..
So I didnā€™t know that I could scrape off ā€¦ good idea thanks ..
Idk why the vet wants me to take him in and have him get a calcium shot .. I read about drops of calcium but he didnā€™t tell me that option idk why ..
the fecal test I attached the result .
Says that there wasnā€™t a lot of fecal sample.

Thanks for letting me know about the diet .. yea I wanted him to like the Harrisonā€™s .. such a shame .. and yours too ? Wow .. I did try the Zupreem pellets and nothing either I even mixed with his food and nope .. but that one has like color I think ..

Attachments

• IMG_1950.png
    IMG_1950.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 9

Most Reactions

Latest posts