Help with Taming Galah

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
So I have been trying to tame my Galah Opal with some small success. She will come to the bars and take a millet bud from my fingers. She would come right up to the open door and eat from a millet spray with me sitting right by the door.

That is until yesterday.

My male Kakariki Inca has some sort of seizure. I would liken it to a type of epilepsy. He will freeze in place for 10 - 20 seconds. No blinking or movement. Afterwards he is a totally different bird. He will behave like a totally wild bird. Fearful and very aggressive of hands.

Yesterday as I was putting him back in his cage he had a mood switch and became fearful and super aggressive. The only way to handle him when he is like that is with gloves.

What does this have to do with the Galah?

He took off shrieking and carrying on and ended up getting to her cage. He freaked her out and then I came with the gloves on and panicked her even more.

Now if I sit on the floor and offer her millet through the door she won't come anywhere near me. She'll run around very agitated and try to force her head through the bars. She'll still take millet from my fingers but it will take a few tries and 1 in 3 times she drops it because she's snatching it and running.

Any other members that have tamed young parrots have any advice? I'm waiting on some vet tape so I can make a T perch to try get her out of her cage. I'm really starting to feel like I'm going to fail to tame her. It always seems to be more steps backwards than forwards.

Most Reactions

Latest posts