Help! with territorial conure!

john2674

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
green cheek conure, gray cockatiel.
About 2 years ago my oldest daughter purchased a green cheek conure named Baja . Not long after that Baja decided that I was His/Her person. Soo Baja came to live with me in my office where i spend a majority of my time working on the pc. etc. I hate locking her up except for bedtime, but lately Baja has been getting more and more violent with anyone who comes into "our" room. Just a bit ago my wife came in to say hello and check on me and Baja launched herself onto her and bit her on her chin and nose drawing blood both times! My wife was already untrusting of Baja and now im at a loss as to what to do? any suggestions?

Attachments

• baja.jpg
    baja.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 64

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
It might not sound convenient, but it sounds kind of like a change of scenery is what's needed. I have a conure who became very territorial over me and my room when she was in my bedroom. I think it's because it was such a small space that it was easy for her to think "this is mine." I had to put her away whenever my mom was nearby because she'd be out for blood the moment anyone stepped in the room.

All of that changed when we moved. She's now out in the living room, which is a much larger space and she's used to seeing people other than me here. She's like a changed bird. She doesn't really like anyone but me still but she hasn't attacked anyone, even my mother, since the move (and she used to really have it out for my mother).

Maybe moving the cage into the living room would help? She'd see the whole family more often, they can interact through the cage bars, and then during the day you can always have a separate, smaller cage or playstand in your office where she hangs out?

OP
J

john2674

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
Thank you! I have a nice large spare cage that I can definitely set up in the living room! I will give that a try!.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Good luck! I know how hard it can be so I hope this helps.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
That's got to be hard on you all. I like the idea of tweaking her living space - I'm eager to hear how it goes :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Female green cheeks are a force of nature. They aren't afraid of anything. Even much bigger birds or any human.....Best I can advise is a "time out" if the bird gets aggressive.

Good luck....I've been there. A GCC especially a female GCC is basically that psycho gf you dated in HS or college. You just have to deal with it and let them know you love them, even if someone else has the audacity to touch you.

Try to include....both preen the bird IDK. Good luck.!

OP
J

john2674

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
yeah my little psycho is a handful for sure!. the hardest thing to work with is going to be my wife actually.. she is now scared to death of baja. hard to believe soo much spiciness could fit inside a cute feathered body. ohh and a quick update.. she has figured out how to open her cage by herself when she no longer wants to be in time out.. luckily i have some time off from work coming up for the 4th holiday and i can attempt to mend some fences in the house.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It can be the whole room in now his territory.

You can be the bridge between your bird and your wife. Get your burd in a calm happy mood. Take him into the living room. Have him step to your wife and right back to you for a treat . I kinda would keep your hand ready to block any bites to wife, you take any bites.
Do 3 times ( advice is to not repeat more than 5 times without a break. Do something else and hang out fir a few minutes. Then if it went well before, have him step to wife ( always from you) and you give a treat while standing on wife, then back to you for a treat. Lots of good birdie well done as well.
If that went well , after a break you can have him step from you to wife and wife gives him a treat herself. Then back to you.
I trained all my birds to step up to guests this way. Now even if a stranger to them comes over they will step to them for treat .

My green cheek was jealous of my boyfriend. We did pass the birdie . Then I set up a group date night lol. We got a plate of strawberries her favorite! Got a movie going, cuddling on couch . Feeding each other and her strawberries. Kiss to her and us. Passed her back and forth and just really made over her. She knew it was very special and that she was included. She adored him after that!!!! Plus he always would go and say hello and good bye when he visited and give her a treat. My birds love kisses. But they are aldo happy if yiu just make kiss noise exaggerated to them ( if face safety is any concern at all. Just air kiss)

OP
J

john2674

Jun 27, 2022
Parrots
Well its been a little over a year and sitting at the pc watching Baja sleep on her perch next to me reminded me of this thread. so i figured i would give an update..
I moved a "daytime cage for her into the family room where she can spend more time around the rest of the family, and when i get home from work she comes and hangs out with me in "our" room most days... she has gotten a bit better about not attacking my wife or her little dog, but i have to be vigilant any time she and i are roaming arond the house.. did i mention that if i go anywhere Baja instantly jumps on my shoulder and dares me to try to stop her from tagging along? lol
She really is what another poster described as a psycho ex girlfriend!. but all in all things have gotten a lot better. Wife still doesnt trust her yet, but they seem to tolerate each other... for now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts