Help!

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
One of the Macaws I brought home last week has stopped eating! COMPLETELY! I'm not the only one who's worried about her. Her mate keeps bringing her food and seed and trying to hand it to her. He drops it right in front of her and scoots it over to her with his beak.
Our vet isn't available until tomorrow! Can you offer any advice??? She just sits there? I know of another vet that's 1 1/2 hrs away... Do I just bite the bullet and take her there?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I would make the drive to the other vet. Not eating is a serious sign and birds dont show signs of sickness until it is too late. Better to be safe than sorry.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Yes.. but take her to an AVIAN vet.. not a regular vet.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Don't avian vets have emergency coverage there? I know here in Florida they do. Or am I just spoiled?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
nyspy - I'd not say that you're spoiled but my experience here in the greater Pittsburgh area is that just FINDING an avian vet has been a difficult experience let alone an emergency service, I'd say you are very lucky. Until recently when one of my dogs needed an MRI we had to travel over 200 miles away to Columbus, Ohio! And Pittsburgh is a major medical treatment center.

OP
leschornmom

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
Heading to a vet in Indy! The only other vet in a two hr radius is on vacation. I know it's important to do an avian vet. I have three vets that I work (or have worked) for and all three of them bulk at the idea of tending to birds.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Please keep us abreast of what's going on.. bring water for birdy on the trip!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is not good at all... Absolutely get thee to an avian vet! Do not wait!

OP
leschornmom

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
K... Taking Draco along to help lessen the stress on both of them! I've got this forum on my phone so I can keep you updated as things happen.

OP
leschornmom

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
She was a little dehydrated. They did do some blood work there and were planning to send some off to Purdue. But the main issue was simple enough... Apparently I switched her food to fast... All the fruit and vegetables, peanuts etc. didn't' seem to set well with her. The vet didn't think she was so bad off that she needed to keep her. I've got special diet for her now and I'm going to slowly switch off. To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the right person to do this. :/ The idea that such a stupid mistake could have killed her makes me sick!

On a side note: Dr Lennox also said that she will NOT grow most of her feathers back :( I could care less for me. It just makes me sad that other people might not recognize how beautiful she really is! Even though she is SO GENTLE my husband and kids are all more afraid of her because of the way she looks... I was hoping that she wouldn't always have that strike against her!

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
I'm in Indianapolis if you need any help. I'm not a vet, just someone who's willing to help. :)

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Don't give up on her. She needs you. Learn from this. We all make mistakes (especially me). Glad she's ok. :)

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Don't be discouraged. You're learning! We all had to do it at one point in time. You opened your heart to her.. Give it time.. She's opening her heart to you too! It's only been a few days and she's still trying to figure out what's going on.

If you were a 3 year old child just dropped into a completely new situation, you'd be completely freaked out too! Especially if you were in a "not so savory" environment and stepping into a new one!

Just give her love.. Take her around with you.. show her love.. try hand-feeding her food and water! It really makes a difference. My little guy (Duke) isn't eating as well either, but all I did was hand feed him, give him tons of water and spend TONS of time with him. He spent 6 hours on the back of my chair today. He is only starting to eat a bit more. He still won't eat in front of me, but he is purring when he's with me.

Try giving juicy foods with liquid (like oranges). The change in diet is going to be a stress to her, but she WANTs to eat it.. Her body just isn't accustomed to all the new nutrients and good food!

As for the feather thing.. Who cares! Do you love her for how she could possibly look? or do you love her for who she is? You didn't rescue her because you wanted a new piece of art in your home! The other birdy loves her! She just needs stability and reassurance and feathers or not, she's going to be the most beautiful birdy in your heart!

A bird like a macaw really needs ONE human mate. Everyone else, they tolerate. If you're that one person for them, then let her get the opportunity to "decide" to choose you! It will take gaining her trust first!

After that, she's going to see that you're her forever mommy and the rest will be history!

When you've been treated like crap all your life, it's hard to believe there is good in the world. Not just from a bird's perspective, but from a human perspective.. I know that one personally..

Give her time and don't be deterred! I don't know many bird owners that would take the multi-hour drive, because you were worried! There are some that will just say, "oh.. the vet's not available.. I'll wait." and let the bird suffer until it's convenient for them.

You have my respect and I'm sure the respect of many others on this forum for doing what you did. That's what makes you a good bird owner.. the skills and experience will come in time.. It's the persistance and dedication that is hard to find.

OP
leschornmom

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
Little Ms. Saphira just isn't acting right again... I'm not sure what to think... Its like everything is just hard for her... I'm not sure what to think :( I took these guys in because I lost my Lady (My 7 yr old Labrador) I don't know what all do if this little thing doesn't make it. She is just so sweet... :'(

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Don't panic! Time is what you both need. Just be there for her and speak or sing gently to her. Calm and peace is probably the best medicine at this stage.

I was wondering: do you knit? Or sew? Later on, you might make Saphira a lovely sweater to wear for her modesty? If you google 'Sock buddy', you'll see what some people do with socks to stop birds from plucking. I know it's too late for Saphira, but I think a custom-made garment would cover her nicely and make her easier for people to befriend. You could use soft baby wool for the winter and cool cotton for the summer. Just a suggestion...

If I had a macaw to make a pattern from, I'd offer to do it for you! :D

Please pass on polite 'G'day' squawks from Barney, Madge and Dominic to your flock. :)

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Yes.. When bringing a bird into a new home, quiet, peace, and serenity help. As well as lots of love and attention. What is the temperature in the room where she is? I keep mine at 80 Farenheit constantly.

I would also make sure she gets sunlight. Mine gets the full day. Then darkness and silence at night.

I bring my birds up to the bedroom perch at night when I go to sleep.

Are you taking Saphira around the house with you when you do chores? Constant attention helps a lot.

Both of my guys are rescues. They both had a bit of a tough time adjusting (one still is adjusting.. he's only a week and a half in his new home).

As I sit here typing this up, he's by the window on his perch watching people get in their cars to go to work with a nut in his claw! He couldn't balance on one leg when I first got him a week ago!

His meal this morning?

Stringbeans, snap peas, pine nuts, peanuts, celery.

Take a few pics of her environment (cage, perch, room where she's at right now).. Let's see if we can't troubleshoot this "glitch" as the Obama administration would call it.. lol.

OP
leschornmom

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
I'm doing pretty much everything you listed... With the exception of still caging at night, because the baby gates I ordered for the dog hasn't arrived yet. She has a sweater and they have a heater with a humidifier at night. They have sun in every location, except shower time which is spent with me, because our bathroom doesn't have windows. But it is still light and airy.
I can't help but feel that, even though we went to a vet with great recommendations, there is still something wrong with her. Something they aren't catching?
She is VERY wobbly and hardly reacts to ANYTHING. She just doesn't seem to "feel good". I'm giving her the stuff the vet gave me for her, and still offering fruits and vegetables. Vegies in AM, with a bowl of craptastic parrot food mixed with vets supplemental pellets. Several small snacks and treats throughout the day, and a bowl of fruit at night. Fresh water is always available. Her balance is so bad that I had to rig her bowls close to her, wherever she is.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
It's only been a few days. Give it time. Duke just started climbing around on his toy branch off his perch yesterday. It took him 5 days to finally climb off the perch onto the branch! He only went up about 3 inches, freaked out and screamed as he nearly missed catching the perch on his way down.

It's going to take time. Just wait it out! You're doing all the right things. Remember what it's like to recover from a flu. It takes a few days to a week before you're even sane again! She's been malnourished and is now just getting her "Parrot legs".. In a new home no less! The shock of being in a new place is probably still there!

If she hasn't made any minor progress by Monday, I would switch it up a bit, but I bet you she will make even just a little.

Are the fruits / veggies / nuts on the floor at all? If yes, she's eating. As for the balance thing, it takes a while! Mine is still a complete clutz!

Another thing I do is sit on the couch in the living room for an hour and let him hang out with me. I usually just take a book with me. Let him walk around / explore..

It will really take time! I think you might be expecting an immediate result. It will *literally* take weeks to months! As long as she is eating / drinking, you're fine. The rest will follow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts