HELP!!

MUSICourlorrie

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Rainbow Lorikeet
Hey guys... Just wondering if u guys could help at all... My lorrie is a bit ill. We haven't had him long at all... and since we got him he has been lying on his cage floor, his head down... he is only a baby still, so we are feeding him a wet mix... but every time he eats, he regurgitates it all up... And we just can't afford million dollar surgery on him! PLEASE HELP!

OP
M

MUSICourlorrie

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Rainbow Lorikeet
Please help me!! i don't want Music to die!! I Love Him!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your bird needs to go to the vet. CAN YOU CALL THE BREEDER? It sounds like this baby has been sick or doing poorly since you got him. But he needs to go to the vet.

I have not raised birds but I know babies have to be kept warm and the formula needs to be warm enough or it sits in the crop and doesn’t move on into the bird. If it’s too warm it will burn the crop (storage sac in the baby’s neck and chest) and baby will be badly hurt.

Are you checking the temp of the formula? It must be just right. Is the baby in a warm brooder?

And can you call the person who sold you this unweaned baby and get some help?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, @MUSICourlorrie, I'm sorry that your lorikeet is unable to keep his food down. I agree with @HeatherG, your bird needs to see a vet, or if one is not available you really need to try to contact his breeder or the person who sold him to you for help ASAP. We are not vets here and unfortunately the few breeders experienced in raising babies that we have among our membership are not as active as they once were. I'm not sure where in the world you are but the link below should help you find an avian vet in your location ...

The following thread also has a lot of info you may find useful so I will link it for you, but in my opinion you are still best to seek help from the breeder or a vet as soon as you possibly can...

I hope this helps and I wish you and your little one all the very best 🙏

OP
M

MUSICourlorrie

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Rainbow Lorikeet
Your bird needs to go to the vet. CAN YOU CALL THE BREEDER? It sounds like this baby has been sick or doing poorly since you got him. But he needs to go to the vet.

I have not raised birds but I know babies have to be kept warm and the formula needs to be warm enough or it sits in the crop and doesn’t move on into the bird. If it’s too warm it will burn the crop (storage sac in the baby’s neck and chest) and baby will be badly hurt.

Are you checking the temp of the formula? It must be just right. Is the baby in a warm brooder?

And can you call the person who sold you this unweaned baby and get some help?
Thank you so much HeatherG.... our little Music passed last night... We will always remember him♡

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am very sorry for your loss.

Please don’t bring home an unweaned baby parrot. So many things can go wrong. They are very fragile.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
this is horrific, no way should a breeder be selling un-weaned babies! It is very hard to watch them and care for them. temps, food, diet, I personally would not pick up a parrot unless he or she is 6 to 8 weeks old.

same goes for buying grown parrots or rescue parrots. They are like sponges, they will pick up good and bad habits.

Sorry for your loss. and its very hard to find reputable parrot breeders. everyone usually chases the cheapest bid, but a times breeders charge more cause they are properly weaning the birds, teaching them to step up, how to lay on their backs in your hands, knowing specific diets. all of these things will help you when the time comes, such as needing to pluck a blood feather that didnt fully come out, cutting their nails, or preventing them from getting into harms way.

Most Reactions