Helping my baby enjoy being in her cage?

ohthatdemoness6

Jun 25, 2011
Northeast US
Parrots
Lutino Cockatiel: Peanut
Hi, I'm coming from reddit and the people there seem to be quick to judge so I'm gonna come here and add more detail because I ended up missing work from being so anxious, upset, and crying from feeling like the worst pet owner ever and I'm so exhausted trying my best and getting chastised anyways because I didn't give every single detail to prove my innocence. So anyways...

I have a lutino, she's about a year old, and I'm trying to get her used to being okay with enjoying her time inside her cage, especially when I'm not at home. Her cage is a tad small at the moment and I am upgrading her to something way bigger very soon, but I feel like even if I did move her, these behaviors will still persist.

As of now, her health seems fine (I'm taking her to a vet on Monday), and she seems to be eating fine, but whenever I have her in her cage (as in I'm eating and I don't want her to poop on me and my food that she can't even eat anyways or I need space) she goes a bit crazy about getting wanting to get out, especially if I'm on my computer and in sight. She doesn't scream or anything, but she isn't quiet either.

What makes me even sadder is when I do leave for work or whatever and I check up on her from time to time, I always see her just sitting there quietly being inactive. Maybe every few hours she's somewhere else but rarely do I see her doing anything to occupy herself. Though, I actually went out to the grocery store down the street today to buy food for me and her and my boyfriend who was watching her on the camera (he lives in CA but I have a camera for us to watch her when I'm not home) he says she seem to be interacting with things. But when I do come home she was very excited and ready to get out. I'm trying to also figure a way to play music/bird noises while I'm out without my computer being on all day (I have a parrot music/noise livestream playing on youtube to keep her occupied) so she won't sit in silence. If anyone has any suggestions for any radio that plays like parrot sounds or whatever or even plays like youtube streams/audio I would appreciate it.

I also got her 2 new playstands and a bunch of new toys for enrichment but she's wary of them so she spends most of her time on my shoulder or on my desk while I'm at home. I'm starting to believe she might have separation anxiety.

I currently work 1-3 days a week, and each time I am home I always have her cage door open. I change her toys every so often and add tons of foraging toys and chewable stuff, but she's just always wanting to be my side, and it's cute to hear her grinding her beak and resting by my head, but I want her to learn she can have as as much if not more fun in her cage. Heck, if I can climb into the cage and sit in there with her to encourage her to have fun I would, but there's no such thing as a macaw size cage with cockatiel bar spacing... Yet I hope.

Getting a second bird to occupy her is out of the question as I cannot afford to care for another bird, especially if they do not get along. So for now I would like to know, what can I do to get my baby to enjoy being on her own, especially when she doesn't have a choice but to be alone? Because I'm worried she might not eat at all as long as I'm in the room.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
OP
ohthatdemoness6

ohthatdemoness6

Jun 25, 2011
Northeast US
Parrots
WOW what the heck I seriously didn't think those existed!! If only didn't cost a bajillion bucks lmao, thank you so much though! I'll keep that link for future reference!

btw, awesome art! :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
First step may be an oversized cage with safe bar spacing, stocked with a variety of toys until you determine what she prefers. Teaching a bird to self-entertain is difficult, particularly when bonded and preferring your company.

Parrots are highly visual and respond well to images and sounds on a screen. Might have to experiment with various video feeds to see what is preferred.

Your caution for second bird is well founded. No guarantee any two will tolerate let alone bond in friendship. You might wind up with a pair of "solo" birds needing attention.

OP
ohthatdemoness6

ohthatdemoness6

Jun 25, 2011
Northeast US
Parrots
I did buy a much larger cage and hopefully it will come soon (my boyfriend accidentally shipped it to his house so he has to mail it to me :34:) But oh my gosh thanks to Owlet, I did find a super huge cage that will make her feel like she's in a mansion! However there's just no way it'll fit in my room at the moment, but when I move out that will be the first thing I get for her and I am super excited for it! :D:D:D

I feel like I have a good idea what she likes like so far (she totally loves to chew up seagrass weaves) and I'm introducing her to puzzle/foraging toys, but she's naturally wary and it'll take a few days but she seems to go at it once she's comfortable! But of course, she much prefers to help me type on my keyboard haha.

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice, I'm going to figure out how I can move my computer setup around so I can just leave a stream open for her to listen and watch so she won't be as bored and lonely! You've all given me fantastic things to think about!!! <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts