May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My budgie, Pepper seems to have mild spatial orientation issues as well as anxiety, for example, if one of my budgies moves near him he will freak out and fly away. As for the spatial issues, he has a hard time judging the distance between things, when I'm doing recall with him, he will often land on other birds or over/undershoot my hand. He also falls off things fairly frequently, maybe once or twice a week, and has a hard time staying balanced on perches that aren't super wide. I have, however, noticed that his feet are slightly smaller than an average budgie's, which makes it harder to balance, but it may have something to do with his recessive pied mutation.

How do I help his anxiety (which seems moderate), as well as his mild spatial awareness issues?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, so I weighed them today, and Pepper is about 29-30 grams, and Stormy (with the same build/body type) is 38 grams.

From my research, budgies should be at least 35 grams. Pepper does, however have anxiety surrounding eating. Not enough to be anorexic but enough to make a small impact.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

@LaManuka maybe you can help?​

Gee Stormy, I'm flattered that you asked and wish I could help you! This one is a little bit above my pay grade I'm afraid, I'd just be popping down to my (most excellent) avian vet to have Pepper assessed if he was mine. I certainly wish you all the very best of luck with him though! πŸ™

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, just for clarification, I can't bring him to the vet because my parents have this...thing about mental disorders, idk why

Ima go to sleep, I've annoyed y'all enough for one night!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Almost impossible to annoy any of the kind folks on this forum.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Update:
Pepper is doing a little better mentally, and I am working on desensitization for him. I will also be rearranging their cage and putting in wider perches for him, as well as adding a food bowl to encourage him to eat more and hopefully reduce some of that anxiety surrounding food.

His current empty weight is 26 grams (I posted his full weight before). He genuinely isn't sick, he's just really anxious about food and eating, and over-exerts himself from panic and flying around. He's even scared to eat millet.

Sigh......
IMG_20211230_142631.jpg

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Update:
Pepper is doing a little better mentally, and I am working on desensitization for him. I will also be rearranging their cage and putting in wider perches for him, as well as adding a food bowl to encourage him to eat more and hopefully reduce some of that anxiety surrounding food.

His current empty weight is 26 grams (I posted his full weight before). He genuinely isn't sick, he's just really anxious about food and eating, and over-exerts himself from panic and flying around. He's even scared to eat millet.

Sigh......
View attachment 33501
do you think cutting the millet a bit might help?
this might sound stupid but some birds see it as
SUPER DUPER SCARY SNAKE :eek::eek:

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
do you think cutting the millet a bit might help?
this might sound stupid but some birds see it as
SUPER DUPER SCARY SNAKE :eek::eek:
Oh no!:eek:
Jk lol he loves the millet once he gets over the fact that it might eat him. It's like he has to relearn everything each day!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
sound fimiliar to some surtin bird that wont spin no matter howmany times i teach her:unsure: (LOOKING AT YOU TIKI)
Sounds like Pepper, I tried to teach him to spin but he kept hopping on my hand (or forgetting that the scary millet snake won't eat him :ROFLMAO:) !

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
New update:
I made Pepper a hanging swing thingy for his new, seperate-from-the-other-bird's (sleeping) cage because he finds balancing on a perch in the night difficult. He is 30 grams today which is much better! I am also giving him chamomile tea to help with his anxiety, as well as his own food bowl, which helps with his food related anxiety. I also made a small tabletop training perch out of scrap wood, which Stormy loves to sit on!
IMG_20211231_212042.jpg
IMG_20211231_235849.jpg

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Pepper update:
Pepper is being extra afraid and anxious today. He didn't even want to come for millet. He is even scared to preen today. His weight is 28-30 grams today, he didn't hold still long enough for me to tell.
IMG_20220102_122033.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts