Helpp untamed IRN

J.Y01

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Cockatiel
Hello! I'm new to this forum.

I have a 7 month old untamed Indian Ringneck, Everyday I always talk to it and sit beside the cage but it always sits in the corner of the cage and sometimes screams. I also try to give it fruit through the cage but gets scared and corners itself. I once tried to put my hand in the cage but as expected it started to scream and fly.

How long does it usually take to tame an Indian ringneck and is it normal for the bird to be scared?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hi, welcome. It is very normal for a bird to be scared and how long it takes depends on the owner, bird, and how they do together as a team.
Target and basic trick training is the best and fastest way to tame your bird, in my opinion. There are other ways and if they work better, go for it. But I use target training and it helps a LOT.
Be patient. Keep trying. Never give up.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
IRN are a little different, they often have a huge fear of hands. They often loose tameness, or if not raised well never had it to begin with....people have managed to overcome this, it just can be more challenging than other species. and sometimes they have to managed more as an Aviary bird. many birds are protective of cage, and working with them while out can be helpful. Setting up a linked play stands to cage. Setting up perches on the outside and top of cage.

Target training will be your freind. Teaching them to return to cage on own. They still need an enrichment and out of cage time, while you work on bonding. Otherwise they can become cage bound.

Silver sage Aviary has articles, and is a breeder of them. I'm linking the web site, go through and read her articles.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello!
To start, your IRN is simply scared and acting skittish because he is in a new environment and taking things in still, completely normal for any parrot really.
It takes quite a bit of time for birds in general to start getting used to new faces and hands, as well as adjust to their new home and surroundings. It all takes time since to them, we're bigger and untrustworthy (at the beginning). We basically need to prove to these scared little guys that we mean no harm and only want to care for them. To love them and all.
But even if we verbally say that to them, they still probably won't believe it lol. So what you're doing so far is great, just take it one step at a time, and go at their pace since it is their trust you will earn at the end.
And remember that progress is never linear, even with birds. There will be times where he will seem like he is taking a liking to you but the next day, it feels like you are back to square one.
Don't give up because it's all going to come around again and you will feel so rewarded with your bird's genuine trust at the end. Take this bonding and taming process in a gradual manner and you will see results if you are patient and consistent at the same time!

Here is a link to a thread that discusses someone's concerns with their parrotlet's inconsistent taming process.

Read the replies as well and learn from their knowledge, it's really good information! And can help you tame your IRN and improve your bond with him as time progresses.

Some pictures of him would be amazing! Enjoy your evening.

OP
J

J.Y01

Dec 19, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Cockatiel
Hi, welcome. It is very normal for a bird to be scared and how long it takes depends on the owner, bird, and how they do together as a team.
Target and basic trick training is the best and fastest way to tame your bird, in my opinion. There are other ways and if they work better, go for it. But I use target training and it helps a LOT.
Be patient. Keep trying. Never give up.
Hello thank you your reply. Unfortunately my Indian ringneck suddenly passed away :( I still don't know the root cause but i suspect because of the cold weather during the night.

I appreciate your help and time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts