Hahns2

Nov 18, 2021
Parrots
2 hanhns macaws
In what forms can my Hahns macaws have hemp?
Seeds are clearly okay because they're in most seed mixes but I want to serve them as sprouts and microgreens.
Are these forms safe?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
Are these forms safe?
Yes. In the seed form cannabis, whether from hemp or marijuana are totally free of any CBD, THC or any other such. Only on growing plants that have a bit of age, do cannabis plants start proding Trichromes that can eventually contain THCa , CBDa, or others. Even in a lab, a hemp seed looks and analyzing exactly like a marijuana seed as both are still cannabis. Young sprouted seeds will not have any "strange" constituents to it.

Getting them to sprout may be the whole trick. I got some Hemp seeds that came from USA, but none of them would sprout. As I understand they are probably treated (not chemically) to prevent sprouting. You might find some that do sprout, and would be very useful as sprouted greens.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hahns2

Nov 18, 2021
Parrots
2 hanhns macaws
Yes. In the seed form cannabis, whether from hemp or marijuana are totally free of any CBD, THC or any other such. Only on growing plants that have a bit of age, do cannabis plants start proding Trichromes that can eventually contain THCa , CBDa, or others. Even in a lab, a hemp seed looks and analyzing exactly like a marijuana seed as both are still cannabis. Young sprouted seeds will not have any "strange" constituents to it.

Getting them to sprout may be the whole trick. I got some Hemp seeds that came from USA, but none of them would sprout. As I understand they are probably treated (not chemically) to prevent sprouting. You might find some that do sprout, and would be very useful as sprouted greens.
Thank you! I haven't had any success with sprouting so it makes sense why now.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well written response above and well worth heeding.

Unless you are looking for some legal reason for your growing marijuana in a State in which it is not legal to grow your own. You will find that stating that it is for your Parrot will not keep you from being convicted and charged with a felony.

With the overwhelming volume of plants that are known safe for Parrots and Humans as well, it would be better to place your talents growing them.

OP
H

Hahns2

Nov 18, 2021
Parrots
2 hanhns macaws
Well written response above and well worth heeding.

Unless you are looking for some legal reason for your growing marijuana in a State in which it is not legal to grow your own. You will find that stating that it is for your Parrot will not keep you from being convicted and charged with a felony.

With the overwhelming volume of plants that are known safe for Parrots and Humans as well, it would be better to place your talents growing them.
I'm from South Africa and we're allowed growing Marijuana for personal use, however, I'm strictly interested in Hemp :)

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
You will find that stating that it is for your Parrot will not keep you from being convicted and charged with a felony.
Well, therein lies the rub. Marijuana seeds (cannabis) and hemp seeds (cannabis) are identical in looks and analysis. When the U.S. legalized hemp (cannabis that has less than 0..3% THC, for all the states, but did not deschedule Marijuana as well, it created quite a problem. Hemp seeds can be bought online and shipped anywhere in the U.S. I have even gotten hemp "flowers" in the mail, bought online from a company that grows such hemp flowers for CBD, and there is no difference in the looks of the hemp flower from those considered Marijuana by law ( greater than 0.3% THC)

The hemp seeds, and marijuana seeds are also indistinguishable from each other by looks or by lb analysis... flowers... CAN be distinguished in a lab, that is for certain. Many states allow hemp to grow and you have to by hemp seed from somebody. Point is "both" are of the same nutritional value to birds, and just the sprouts would also have the same nutrition, but it's after it grows for a bit, then it can be tested to determine a difference.

Amazon and others sell hemp seeds and only certain states in the U.S. restrict who can grow hemp. I know Idaho is strictly illegal at the moment. We can grow hemp in Michigan, but we can also grow up to 12 plants of marijuana per household.

You are right! There are a lot of other easy and nutritious seeds that can sprout. Research on certain legumes ( alfalfa, beans, soybeans, etc) as I believe they are toxic when consumed raw and safe after being cooked.

Most Reactions

Latest posts