ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
This might be long... but writing about him helps.

Monday morning my blue and gold macaw, Max, passed away. My parents have had him since before I was born. I've never known life without him. He was like my brother. We're all so deep in grief.

Although I haven't lived at home for a few years (max lived with my parents... my dad was his favorite person) I'm profoundly feeling his absence. I keep thinking about all of the sounds of Max... they are so much apart of the soundtrack of my childhood. His words, his vocalizations, the sound of his toes tapping on the floor, nighttime beak grinding... some I have on video... some will now only live in the collective memory of my family. I am so scared of those sounds fading in my mind.... of his smell fading from the feathers I have.

He is so apart of who I am and my identity. He's even apart of my fingerprint (a bite scar from when I was 3). I love him so so so much. I video chatted with him multiple times a week. If I'm being perfectly honest I go visit home more often then I probably would because I need to see my birds (we also have an amazon, Ziggy ,who similarly I've had my entire life).

He was 39. He was with my family his entire life. He was such a good, loving boy A big clown, as macaws are known to be. His favorite place to be was his swing. I was honored to be his 3rd favorite person. He had a great laugh and could say "hello", "max" and sometimes even "hello max". He called my dad "rabba". He could be a snapper, a biter, and ornery at times... these things all made him Max.

A few weeks ago he got really sick- teh vet said his heart was enlarged, lungs had fluid in them, and there was something in his lungs. I flew home immediately. He wasn't expected to make it through the night. He did. He continued to improve and a few days later he was well enough to come home and seemed to be getting more back to himself. I flew back to my current home. Leaving was awful... I knew it could very well be my last time seeing him in person, but I had hope that it wouldn't be.

Everyday he seemed to improve. He had a vet visit this last Friday. They said it looked as though he was responding well to medication.

He was quiet this last weekend. Monday morning he wasn't himself... drank the fresh water my mom offered like she does every morning before putting it in his cage, but didn't want his normal head scratches. A little bit later he started having trouble breathing. My parents put him in the nebulizer (part of the treatment he got from the vet), it wasn't helping, so my dad took him out and held him. He passed in his arms. I'm told it was quick.

I'll forever be grateful for all the time I had with him, especially that last week and that I got to say goodbye. I'm thankful that he was at home my parents who loved him so so much, and who he loved so so much.

It's such a deep and profound loss, and even though I'm not home I feel his absence so strongly. My entire family is going through it. Ziggy was calling for him and is being very clingy to my parents. I'm hugging the parrots I have here so close.

I don't know what else to say other than I loved him so much... there doesn't seem to be enough words or the right words that can express what he meant to me and the pain of his loss.

I'm not really religious... sometimes I'm spiritual. I donno. I hope that one day we'll all be together again... whatever that means and in whatever form it takes.

The world is a much quieter place now.
Here's to Max.

Attachments

• 620CDE56-809E-4F16-A52A-1050C7557679.JPG
    620CDE56-809E-4F16-A52A-1050C7557679.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 104

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
The fact that you've never lived a day without him by your side makes it all the more heartbreaking to lose him, and I'm so sorry. Sharing this is so brave of you. I wish I could reach through the screen and give you a hug.
"I can no longer see you with my eyes
Touch you with my hands
But I will feel you in my heart
Forever"

D

Deleted member 42416

What a beautiful tribute! Max was truly your brother. You don’t have to be religious to know what the heart does in spirit. Yes, you will be reunited…and the meeting of such bright souls will be glorious.

My sincerest condolences for your loss. Max was loved (and he knew it)! And what better way to start the journey across that rainbow bridge than to die in the arms of someone who loved him so deeply. If we could all have that same experience when it is our time!

Many prayers to you and your family, and Ziggy.

Chrissiejingles

Nov 21, 2019
ENGLAND
Parrots
Mr Jingles OWA.....RIP
I'm so very sorry for your massive loss.
My Amazon was with me everyday for 18 years until he passed 2 years ago. I miss him so very much and everyday I long for him to be here with me. I totally understand that pain of losing a heart bird.
It helps me to write down absolutely everything I remember about him. I have pages and pages of happy memories. Max was a very lucky parrot indeed to have spent his whole life with you, your family and Ziggy. May he fly high in heaven..I'm sure he is looking down on you all with so much love.
My thoughts are with you all x

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so very sorry for your loss of Max, and my heart goes out to you and your family.
Tears flowed as I read your tribute, I really felt like I knew him after reading your words.
I personally believe that the souls of such beautiful creatures do go somewhere else. Somewhere where it is beautiful where they will wait for us, and watch over us until that day.

What a beautiful boy Max was, and so spirited. Again, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for the passing of your avian brother Max. May you be comforted by touching, cathartic prose as testimony to his indelible spirit.

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
Oscar a 14-year-old blue gold macaw.
Coco a 22-year-old Congo African grey.
Oscar was a rescue I am his 3rd home and hopefully last.
Coco is from an older couple, I'm his 2nd home.
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This might be long... but writing about him helps.

Monday morning my blue and gold macaw, Max, passed away. My parents have had him since before I was born. I've never known life without him. He was like my brother. We're all so deep in grief.

Although I haven't lived at home for a few years (max lived with my parents... my dad was his favorite person) I'm profoundly feeling his absence. I keep thinking about all of the sounds of Max... they are so much apart of the soundtrack of my childhood. His words, his vocalizations, the sound of his toes tapping on the floor, nighttime beak grinding... some I have on video... some will now only live in the collective memory of my family. I am so scared of those sounds fading in my mind.... of his smell fading from the feathers I have.

He is so apart of who I am and my identity. He's even apart of my fingerprint (a bite scar from when I was 3). I love him so so so much. I video chatted with him multiple times a week. If I'm being perfectly honest I go visit home more often then I probably would because I need to see my birds (we also have an amazon, Ziggy ,who similarly I've had my entire life).

He was 39. He was with my family his entire life. He was such a good, loving boy A big clown, as macaws are known to be. His favorite place to be was his swing. I was honored to be his 3rd favorite person. He had a great laugh and could say "hello", "max" and sometimes even "hello max". He called my dad "rabba". He could be a snapper, a biter, and ornery at times... these things all made him Max.

A few weeks ago he got really sick- teh vet said his heart was enlarged, lungs had fluid in them, and there was something in his lungs. I flew home immediately. He wasn't expected to make it through the night. He did. He continued to improve and a few days later he was well enough to come home and seemed to be getting more back to himself. I flew back to my current home. Leaving was awful... I knew it could very well be my last time seeing him in person, but I had hope that it wouldn't be.

Everyday he seemed to improve. He had a vet visit this last Friday. They said it looked as though he was responding well to medication.

He was quiet this last weekend. Monday morning he wasn't himself... drank the fresh water my mom offered like she does every morning before putting it in his cage, but didn't want his normal head scratches. A little bit later he started having trouble breathing. My parents put him in the nebulizer (part of the treatment he got from the vet), it wasn't helping, so my dad took him out and held him. He passed in his arms. I'm told it was quick.

I'll forever be grateful for all the time I had with him, especially that last week and that I got to say goodbye. I'm thankful that he was at home my parents who loved him so so much, and who he loved so so much.

It's such a deep and profound loss, and even though I'm not home I feel his absence so strongly. My entire family is going through it. Ziggy was calling for him and is being very clingy to my parents. I'm hugging the parrots I have here so close.

I don't know what else to say other than I loved him so much... there doesn't seem to be enough words or the right words that can express what he meant to me and the pain of his loss.

I'm not really religious... sometimes I'm spiritual. I donno. I hope that one day we'll all be together again... whatever that means and in whatever form it takes.

The world is a much quieter place now.
Here's to Max.
I am so sorry for your loss :( Max sounds like he was an amazing bird..

Most Reactions

Latest posts