He's home!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Congratulations Kass is gorgeous! Best of luck to you all. :heart:

I added the soft part of Velcro tape to Levi's Java Tree perches when he was a baby because he kept sliding. It worked very well. I've also seen the Vet Wrap Tape used successfully as Christa has mentioned. I wasn't on PFs when Levi was a babe, so I just improvised with the velcro and it worked quite nicely.

Flynhigh

Jan 19, 2019
Murrieta California
Parrots
Apollo (CAG) , Kona (Pineapple conure)
Definitely call the manufacturer on the heater or email if you still happen to have the info, for now I would set it aside until you have an answer telling you its safe . Even if your thermostat is set at 65 he will be fine . Its just that he's probably used slightly warmer temps at the breeders place . Make as much time for him as you can without over doing things to where he starts expecting more , just like raising human children they need to experience things by themselves for themselves with supervision of course. When you go to different parts of your home take him with you. Let him spend time in the same room as long as your in there. This is where multiple stands come in handy, a simple PVC stand with a few toys to keep him busy while folding laundry or doing dishes. Get a pack of doggy pee pads from the dollar store and keep them under your stands they work well to catch the poo . There will be plenty of it. Lol! For now just spending time talking to him , holding him and making him feel as comfy as possible till he gets used to his new surroundings is best. If he seems shy being on you right now sit near him and talk to him. This is a big one DO NOT take anything he does personal its not , he's trying to tell you in his way how he feels and you will pick up on this the more you interact. Imagine it this way You and your spouse speak completely different language's you cannot understand each other at all, what do you do ? This is where clicker-touch training comes in and bridges the communication gap. Study up on this one . Most of all take it slow , enjoy the time and breathe, Lol!! Its not a race and lots and lots of patience is involved , birds frighten easily so baby steps with everything. Keep training sessions short . If you push to hard they get scared or bored and you want to keep the upper hand and quit before they quit.

OP
tfw

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
All great advice! Thanks!!

Heater-- we won't use it again it was one we weren't using anymore anyway, so I used it to at least warm the living room. Just last night. Ive now put it away.

Biting -- prior to getting him, I sat with the entire family several times to go over our behavior with the bird. They r used to getting the occasional cat scratch or play bite but I warned that the beak can easily rip off limbs. I lectured on how raising any type of voice will only excite the bird. If they get bit, do not react, do not jerk away. So far, everyone has handled his bites well. He hasn't viciously bitten; merely warning chomps when he feels unsure, or to steady himself. And I give him bare skin, no sleeves so Ive already gotten used to his gaping mouth. He knows I won't necessarily back off. Im learning to read his body language. I was so happy when he kept leaning his face towards my arm at one point cuz he wanted to sit on my hand (as seen in the pic). It was sweet thanks for the reminder about sticking to just scratching his neck. I havent had a close look at his head pin feathers yet but i will watch to see when they can be gently groomed. Im not sure he is comfortable with us yet to let us do that.

Time out of cage -- we have built a big gym for the kitchen (the main hub of the house) plus a couple of perches for each floor. We will continue to build more with toys so every perch will be his playground no matter what room he is in. Today, his first day home, was a rather unfortunate day where a whirlwind of sucky events took place. He was out of the cage most of the day but had to be back in there from 3pm to 9pm while we had to be gone for a few hours. We took him out again and handfed him and playtime at the gym. He was sleepy but wasn't cranky. Today was just an unusual day but we plan on having him out of the cage majority of the day. My husband and I both work from home so Kass will rarely be alone.

Sleep -- he will get plenty of sleep. We opted not to cover the cage because we knew once we start, we have to always do it. He wasn't covered at the breeder's. The livingroom is already quiet and dark by 9 anyway. And we r late sleepers so he definitely got 12 hrs.

I am working on finding a balance for his daily routine so I will ask a lot of questions and I will make mistakes. That is why I am here. To learn from the collective. So thanks!!

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts