Hey everyone - it's been a loong time and we've come a long way in a year!

SUSIEMac

Aug 21, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Susie - BG Mac
"Bird" - green cheek conure

RIP Princess - Sulfur crested cockatoo. Died in housefire 2005.
Here's my introduction from last year: http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/57363-greetings-parrot-forum-thank-you.html

Susie came to us in the middle of last year cagebound, neglected, afraid, lashing out once in a while when she felt threatened. Her story is in the link above. I read this board like a maniac and took Birdman's advice like it was bible, right down to pulling her feathered butt out of that cage kicking and SCREAMING! Imagine both bird and human scared to death of each other and you'll get the picture.

That was then, in the beginning. This is now, little over one year later:

In the car taking a trip to the vet for our nail trim. We're singing to music on the cd player while she's queen of the car and my shoulder.
fvk9p5.jpg

On a homemade birdie perch (laundry basket seatbelted to the car's seat.

33upf14.jpg

At home, inspecting everything on the kitchen island:
2m29lvs.jpg

and enjoying her play perch. I wheel it from room to room, where ever we are:
of4uhu.jpg

This is my best friend! I'm her human and she's my bird and we have come a LOOOOONG LOOOONG WAY.

She has quite the vocubulary: Pretty bird, Good girl, Dizzy(our dog), Love you, Bye Bye, Nite nite, Hello, shut up, fake sneezes then says, Blesh shoe (bless you) - now when I sneeze she says Blesh shoe!, quack quack, woof, love you, she purrs, grumbles, snuggles, puts her beak in my hand and let's it sit there, regurgs, kisses, etc.

It will only get better from here on out and we know it! We have love and trust.

Thank you everyone who offered advice, answers questions, tells their stories, shares their experiences on this public forum. I am indebted to you all especially Birdman666.

This is a fabulous resource!!

Oh one more thing: Never think an adult bird can not be re-habbed. It can happen. Adopt an older bird if you can and give it a good and happy life!

Thank you again and again.

:blue1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
WELCOME (back)!!!!!!!!
Beautiful bird, beautiful friendship!

OP
S

SUSIEMac

Aug 21, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Susie - BG Mac
"Bird" - green cheek conure

RIP Princess - Sulfur crested cockatoo. Died in housefire 2005.
WELCOME (back)!!!!!!!!
Beautiful bird, beautiful friendship!

It's good to be back with good news LOL.

We've been working hard but I couldn't be happier and neither could Susie!

Thanx!

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Your made made my day! She looks so happy. Thanks for sharing.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You know, if you've read Saltys thread, he, a baby YSA , has learned 2 doz tricks in his 1 year. I would much rather read this beautiful 1 year story about susie. God bless you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have long believed that Rehomed Parrot's come standard with larger Loving Hearts that only need some Human to figure that out!

Thanks for taking on an Older Parrot and applying Birdman666's Working with Parrots 101 recommendations!

Smiles an hugs for you and your B&G best buddy! Also, Welcome Back!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a wonderful story and great pics!! Thanks for persevering and allowing Susie to bond with you to become forever friends. Mark will be thrilled to learn of your great success!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts