Hi all, newbie on the block

meg

Nov 14, 2010
South Africa
Parrots
1 green ringneck
my name is Meg and i have had the pleasure of being a VERY new mommy to a ringneck parrot for the last 24 hours :)
i took a chance on the 5 month old yesterday at the pet shop when he decided i was more interesting than the perch or food he was so graciously devouring. he wouldn't let me put him down squawking at me like he was reading me the right act for such an attempt.. needless to say i left with him and all the trimmings.

i have always seen myself as a cat, dog and horse person, never a bird person - always having been bitten in the past, but this little one stole my heart in an instant.

any help the members may be able to afford me as i google my way through the first few days/weeks will be greatly appreciated as i'm not sure what conflicting information to believe on the net..and this is my first bird in the home.

having quite strong Irish and Welsh ties we have called our little family addition Paddy, and he has already shown a strong personality which i hope will grow with him or her..
apparently i will only know the gender when Paddy develops a ring around his neck..true??

i have placed his cage on a side table in the lounge against a wall near a door so he can see the tv, open plan kitchen and outside. i have started him on a mix of ringneck food from the pet shop, providing him with some apple pieces and baby carrots - hopefully i'm on the right track..

i couldn't be happier with my little friend and new family member!
i look forward to seeing the posts and learning more about Paddy, their tricks, talking and habits.

heres to the feathered friends xx

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Meg and welcome to the forum, we have a few other members from SA as well, one (wildheart) who also has a Ringneck, if you don't have Paddy sexed it will probably be at the 12-18 month range till you know to call him or her Paddy or Patty :09:, plenty of fresh fruits and vegies are great in the diet, we're glad you've joined us, we hope you enjoy your stay :)

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Congrats and welcome t the forum..
There is a lot of great folks here.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Welcome and congrats on your new fid (feathered kid)
what exactly is the ring neck food ? Seeds or pellets etc

Suggested reading

Toxic foods for birds list found in thr general parrot info section
safe foods and woods and cleaning products
book - parrots for dummies

Just remember to take it really slow the 1st few days it's a huge adjustment for your bird being taken from all he has known into your home

I suggest leaving him in cage for a day or two just talking to him offering him treats etc
he will learn to trust you and learn you are his safe person and then feel more comfortable when he's out of his cage the 1st fee times

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hello and a warm welcome to you and your new fid. Ringnecks are so lovie and pretty. If you go to the technical forum you will find directions for uploading photos. Can't wait to see little Paddy.

Greydad01

Nov 8, 2009
Tempe, Az
Parrots
Zoey(7yr.old African Grey congo)
If you're going to let Paddy have a view of outside, I'd make sure you have a 'securuty' screen door on the outside(all steel, no mesh).

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hey there Meg
Congrat's with your new fid, ringnecks are beautiful mischievous little creatures
Browse around, Many interesting posts, great members, all bird crazy people
Hope you have a lekker time here (yipe you guessed it I am from sunny South Africa as well) Which province are you from?
Browse around, have a peek into Member's Mugshots great place where you meet ( and view) members. Tell us a little bit about yourself, we are an inquisitive bunch here LoL
Looking forward to meeting you and your fid,
Have fun, take care

OP
M

meg

Nov 14, 2010
South Africa
Parrots
1 green ringneck
Welcome and congrats on your new fid (feathered kid)
what exactly is the ring neck food ? Seeds or pellets etc

Suggested reading

Toxic foods for birds list found in thr general parrot info section
safe foods and woods and cleaning products
book - parrots for dummies

Just remember to take it really slow the 1st few days it's a huge adjustment for your bird being taken from all he has known into your home

I suggest leaving him in cage for a day or two just talking to him offering him treats etc
he will learn to trust you and learn you are his safe person and then feel more comfortable when he's out of his cage the 1st fee times
the food consists of both seeds, nuts and pellets, and bits of fruit and veg.
Thanks for the reading material..will definately do my homework.
Got home this evening from work and had one moody bird - guess thats what i get for leaving him alone for the first day of work..hopefully it will get better.

thanks again xx

babygirlgracie

Nov 15, 2010
York, PA
Parrots
I am the proud mommy of a female Pineapple Turquoise Green Cheek Conure Gracie, a Senegal named Willow, a Sun Conure named Oakley, and a pair of American Budgies named Jasper and Pixie
Hi Meg!
Just take it slow with Paddy. Let him come to you. Don't reach in his cage to get him out instead open the cage and let him come out to you. If his wings aren't clipped I would highley recommend getting that done.As far as him being grouchy when you got home from work,he was in a petshop environment for 5 months. Constant noise,constant people. Now all of the sudden it is quiet and lonely. Try turning on a radio when you leave or even a tv. There are some great bird sitter DVD's on the market.
As far as food, when you introduce new fresh foods like broccoli, carrots etc. If he doesn't seem interested at first keep trying it for a week straight. And remember to remove any uneaten fresh food from the cage after an hour so there isn't any chance of spoilage.
Oh! And very important. If he bites... DONT REACT! He will look at it as a reward. Just simply take him to another room, put him on the floor and walk away.
Never reward bad behavior. But! Make a big fuss with verbal praise and a scratch on the head if he likes that for good behavior.
I hope this all helps. And good luck!!!

mogga

Nov 16, 2010
North east England
Parrots
2 pairs red lored amazons.
1 pair mealy amazons.
i pair Bolivian blue fronted amaons.
1 pair Parvipes yellow naped amazons.
1 pair Ducorp cockatoos.
1 pair Blue and gold Macaws.
1 pair Black hea
Hi All, I'm new on here, Welcome Meg, I'm sure you will have lots of fun and adventure with your ringneck. A BIG hello from me in the UK

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
hi mogga, post some pics of your flock when you get a chance! x

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Welcome to the forum. good advice above. I hope you get all the info and support you need.

Debbie

Nov 16, 2010
South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conure and Aggressive Indian Ringneck ;'(
Heya i am new :)

I need help with my 1 Ringneck :/.

He/she doesn't want to eat ?? They about 2 months old. The one still requires feeding but the other one doesn't and since i got them yesterday i have not seen a single empty seed.

Should i worry,

Most Reactions