Hi from me and my TERRIFIED TAG

Geronabean

Mar 28, 2019
I recently became a longterm foster mom, for a wonderful rescue, to a TAG named Cinch - who is petrified/terrified of everything. No background, no leg band, just one scared little bald bird! Yep he is bald right on the top of his head and has a deformed little foot... but hey, no one is perfect!!
I work from home so we spend our day listening to Adele, Queen and whistling like wild Timneah birds! I think he will eventually fall madly in love with me and I will be able to touch him!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Congratulations and thank you for fostering Cinch! I think he will eventually fall for you too :). Sounds like he’s lucky to have you - just be patient and work at his pace. Hope you’ll share pics of Cinch!

OP
G

Geronabean

Mar 28, 2019
Here is that little bald boy.

geronabean-albums-cinch-picture21239-bb0d8490-d779-4ba9-abe6-e53ed7e36a62.jpeg

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I recently became a longterm foster mom, for a wonderful rescue, to a TAG named Cinch - who is petrified/terrified of everything. No background, no leg band, just one scared little bald bird! Yep he is bald right on the top of his head and has a deformed little foot... .....I work from home so we spend our day listening to Adele, Queen and whistling like wild Timneah birds! I think he will eventually fall madly in love with me and I will be able to touch him!!

Wow! You are so welcome! It is very refreshing to see where your expectations are!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Good for you! (and the bird)
(I just love the greys)
Thank you for taking your time with this one.

OP
G

Geronabean

Mar 28, 2019
Welcome to you and Cinch, and thanks for fostering!!

Depending on your experience level, might find these two threads helpful:
Tips for bonding/trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
All about Greys: http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/59366-cag-101-a.html (title is Congo, but applies to Timnehs as well!)

Thanks for the links! I will read up for sure!! I train horses and believe it or not some of the pressure release reward steps I use on my horses have been helping Cinch. He has gone from running to the back of his cage and growling anytime Im near to being brave enough to sit on his perch facing me... if I dont get too too close.
Excited to do more learning and maybe foster another bird in need❤️

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thank you for taking him in, I love TAG's, they are so sweet and loving...It's so sad when people just neglect parrots like this...

It's tough when they're terrified of EVERYTHING like that, but there is a universal answer that always seems to work for birds like this....TIME and PATIENCE. That's pretty much the answer, since they can't tell us their stories...Don't ever try to force anything or push anything with a parrot who is scared or has been abused, or any other parrot for that matter, it doesn't work and just makes it worse. That's the best advice I can give you, let him develop and recover and take his little "baby-steps" at his pace completely, never try to force or push anything on him, go completely at his pace, and then just patience and time...

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
aw poor little fella, I'm sure given time and understanding he will be a lovable friend to you!

I would assume his injuries came from the nest (especially the head feathers being plucked) and foot deformity probably from parents going a bit haywire and attacking him as a baby.

Either all you can do is give him time and then shower him with affection and love

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Awww what a sweet looking little guy. Glad he’s landed somewhere safe for now (and perhaps a future permanent adoption???). Be sure he’s always nice and warm since he’s missing a good portion of his head feathers. His baldness pattern strongly reminds me of my moms sweet little green cheek amazon, who had a similarly bald head with just a little patch of feathers on top (though he was bald from the neck up like a vulture). He went to many vets and had every test under the sun ran and there never was an answer to his baldness. He went bald at puberty and was bald for about 30 years when he passed away. It was a suspected genetic issue. He never had any ther feather problems on the rest of his body, just his head.

As mentioned, time and patience is the answer to all rescue birds problems. It may be upsetting for him, but you really need to get an avian vet to health check him if he hasn’t been already. Sooner than later because for a bird like that it will likely be a rather traumatizing experience and you don’t want to upset him just as he starts to settle in. Get the vet out of the way first, then start working with him. While there are cases of anomalous feather loss, it usually has a cause and its best a avian vet do a full work up to rule out serious diseases that can affect feathers not to mention rescue birds with unknown histories can have any number of health problems that were never addressed (my BFA came home with a long term respiratory infection that required antibiotics).

Best of luck with this adorable little guy!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Cinch, and thanks for fostering!!

Depending on your experience level, might find these two threads helpful:
Tips for bonding/trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
All about Greys: http://www.parrotforums.com/congo-timneh-greys/59366-cag-101-a.html (title is Congo, but applies to Timnehs as well!)

Thanks for the links! I will read up for sure!! I train horses and believe it or not some of the pressure release reward steps I use on my horses have been helping Cinch. He has gone from running to the back of his cage and growling anytime Im near to being brave enough to sit on his perch facing me... if I dont get too too close.
Excited to do more learning and maybe foster another bird in need❤️

You seem a natural! Time and love will accomplish great things for this TAG!

Most Reactions