Hi I'm new

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
none (yet) I've had parrots in the past which were two budgies and a cockatiel right now I currently have two lizards
hello I'm new here I'm Iris I'm 18 years old also I'm on the asd spectrum and I have 2 pet lizards and I've had pet birds in the past(two budgies and a cockatiel)and I'm moving into a supported group home/apartment and I might be able to get another pet and I really want a parrot but I'm stuck on deciding on getting either the Dusky Pionus or the green cheek conure I've been doing research on both of them but I still can't decide and the group home I'm guessing is like my own apartment but there's a few staff to help me out with daily living stuff like help cooking and stuff and also I work a jobn on the weekends both Sundays and Saturdays and I work 8 hour shifts on both days so the staff at my apartment have to be able to handle the parrot and not get bit so it can't be a one person bird

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
hello I'm new here I'm Iris I'm 18 years old also I'm on the asd spectrum and I have 2 pet lizards and I've had pet birds in the past(two budgies and a cockatiel)and I'm moving into a supported group home/apartment and I might be able to get another pet and I really want a parrot but I'm stuck on deciding on getting either the Dusky Pionus or the green cheek conure I've been doing research on both of them but I still can't decide and the group home I'm guessing is like my own apartment but there's a few staff to help me out with daily living stuff like help cooking and stuff and also I work a jobn on the weekends both Sundays and Saturdays and I work 8 hour shifts on both days so the staff at my apartment have to be able to handle the parrot and not get bit so it can't be a one person bird
Welcome to the forum, Iris :).

I too am on the spectrum! It's really interesting to meet fellow autistic people :)

We have a lot of people here who own GCCs(Green Cheeked Conures), hopefully some of them see this post :)

Wishing you the best of luck! :)

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
none (yet) I've had parrots in the past which were two budgies and a cockatiel right now I currently have two lizards
Welcome to the forum, Iris :).

I too am on the spectrum! It's really interesting to meet fellow autistic people :)

We have a lot of people here who own GCCs(Green Cheeked Conures), hopefully some of them see this post :)

Wishing you the best of luck! :)
thx yeah I hope they do because like I said I'm stuck on which one I want to get do you know anything about the dusky pionus?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. THere is never a guarantee that any parrot will be a multi-person bird. AL lot depends on initial socializing, but these are after all wild animals, not domesticated at all, and bites do occur, sometimes a lot if the person is not keyed into the parrots body language and personality. While conures can be cuddely they also have the rep as being bitey - just go thru the conure subform and you will see a lot of threads about folks who have green cheek conures that bite. Pionus are known for being somewhat quieter, but as far as biting, thats not evident.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hi iris! Welcome to the forums!!
Just continue with your research. NEVER stop researching. That’s the best advice I can give you.

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
what are your guys thoughts on conques

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Caiques? I’ve heard they’re very smart but bitey and mischievous. A difficult bird for some people. You might be fine with them but it might be complicated if they’re to have multiple carers.

Cockatiels are really fantastic little fellows with loads of personality, and they do great being handled by multiple people. They are less bitey than conures in my limited opinion, though all parrots bite.

If another tiel doesn’t interest you though (and that’s perfectly valid!) my only experience with green cheeks is with ones that kept being returned to the pet store I worked at in my early twenties because they bit too often. We had one cheeky fellow who liked to hang off your earlobe! This can happen with any small parrot who isn’t socialized and treated with respect, but it’s something to keep in mind.

I’ve never actually gotten to interact with a pionus, so you probably know more from researching than I do!

As this is a home where you’ll have potential flatmates as well as cooking/cleaning staff, can you ensure they won’t use nonstick cookware or chemicals when cleaning? This includes benign stuff like air fresheners and candles. Apologies if you already know all that! I know it’s tough to find cleaning services that don’t use harmful chemical cleaners.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and be welcomed!

While I do not have a GCC i do have an Emma's conure, a smaller Pyrrhura species. I really adore the tiny pyrrhura species (white eared/ emma's conure, painted conure..) they are smaller and mellower compared to GCC. From what i felt and heard, GCC can indeed be louder and their bite is much stronger. Only downside of these smaller Pyrrhura species is that they are really rare to get, nevermind having them already tame. While my Pascal is lower in volume compared to GCC he does love to shout all the time, the budgie taught him it seems.

As others mentioned there is no guarantee in anything. I am Lucky that we managed to socialize Pascal well on time, he does well with other people and while it's obvious my partner became is favourite, he isn't shy of begging for treats from me or cuddling in my hand in the evening when i'm at the computer. He also does really well with strangers. But, he is very young and still can change throughout the years. One downside with conures in general is that they always need company. I work from home, plus he has a budgie by his side, so his needs to socialize are fullfilled to an extent. Conures won't do well alone for long periods of time, I asure you that.

I never owned a GCC, only handled a few times, I can only say their bite hurts far more than Pascals :')

Unfortunately i have no knowledge about pionuses at all, so I cannot help you to compare.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello welcome!
I have a gcc and she
is nippy. GCC are just quick to use that beak to keep you in line, and quick mood changes.
My green cheek Ta-dah is amazing loves to cuddle so smart and she even says several words and phrases!!! Awesome parrot!!!
But would bite me several times a day if I didn't read her and heed her warning. Very sensitive to quick hand movements perceived slights.

Example cuddle, I will bite you, ok 2 seconds latter cuddle again...talking cuddle, ok I'm going to bite you...one second later ok just kidding not going to bite. I think k of her like a cat lol

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
Caiques? I’ve heard they’re very smart but bitey and mischievous. A difficult bird for some people. You might be fine with them but it might be complicated if they’re to have multiple carers.

Cockatiels are really fantastic little fellows with loads of personality, and they do great being handled by multiple people. They are less bitey than conures in my limited opinion, though all parrots bite.

If another tiel doesn’t interest you though (and that’s perfectly valid!) my only experience with green cheeks is with ones that kept being returned to the pet store I worked at in my early twenties because they bit too often. We had one cheeky fellow who liked to hang off your earlobe! This can happen with any small parrot who isn’t socialized and treated with respect, but it’s something to keep in mind.

I’ve never actually gotten to interact with a pionus, so you probably know more from researching than I do!

As this is a home where you’ll have potential flatmates as well as cooking/cleaning staff, can you ensure they won’t use nonstick cookware or chemicals when cleaning? This includes benign stuff like air fresheners and candles. Apologies if you already know all that! I know it’s tough to find cleaning services that don’t use harmful chemical cleaners.
I can talk to them to see if they can use organic less deadly chemicals and I'm gonna try to get a green cheek conure from a breeder and spend time with it as a newborn baby

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I can talk to them to see if they can use organic less deadly chemicals and I'm gonna try to get a green cheek conure from a breeder and spend time with it as a newborn baby
That sounds like a great plan! I hope you come back to share photos, baby green cheeks are so cute!!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Welcome to the feathered family

While I have a Sun Conure, I did start seeing him at a young age. I started seeing him when he was just 10 weeks old. He didn't come home till 16 weeks, so we had a few weeks to get to know each other before the big move. The more time you can spend with them while in the store/at the breeders the easier the move to your house will be.
Also if at all possible have the bird pick you not vice versa. Phoenix was one of 25 various hatchlings the store had when I went in. He was the only one of the group to climb up to me three days in a row. That pretty much sold me on the bird that I was going to get.
20190727_172325.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have had Pionus and they are sweet birds. I would like to have another Pionus. I think they are more mild mannered than green cheek conures. They are calm often snuggly birds that smell great. They will wheeze as if they have asthma if they get too upset, though. I think they probably need a calm household.

Then again, I had a green cheek conure and besides being a stinker and sometimes loud and nippy, he was funny and a lot of fun. He played with balls (he’d throw and I’d fetch), rang like a phone, said β€œdammit”, β€œbaby” and β€œI love you”, and slept in the blankets at the foot of my bed for a while. But he was also so high strung that I could only interact with him for 10-15 min and then he had to go back to his cage to settle down.

Two very different types of birds. A big solid perch potato (Pionus) and yappy little chihuahua bird (green cheeked conure).

Others have suggested a cockatiel, and you can hardly go wrong with a hand raised baby cockatiel. Just checking: will there be other young people living there? Any cats or dogs? You need to have a bird separate from cats in particular, and dogs can also be dangerous to birds.

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
I have had Pionus and they are sweet birds. I would like to have another Pionus. I think they are more mild mannered than green cheek conures. They are calm often snuggly birds that smell great. They will wheeze as if they have asthma if they get too upset, though. I think they probably need a calm household.

Then again, I had a green cheek conure and besides being a stinker and sometimes loud and nippy, he was funny and a lot of fun. He played with balls (he’d throw and I’d fetch), rang like a phone, said β€œdammit”, β€œbaby” and β€œI love you”, and slept in the blankets at the foot of my bed for a while. But he was also so high strung that I could only interact with him for 10-15 min and then he had to go back to his cage to settle down.

Two very different types of birds. A big solid perch potato (Pionus) and yappy little chihuahua bird (green cheeked conure).

Others have suggested a cockatiel, and you can hardly go wrong with a hand raised baby cockatiel. Just checking: will there be other young people living there? Any cats or dogs? You need to have a bird separate from cats in particular, and dogs can also be dangerous to birds.
there will not be dogs or cats and there will be young adults there

Most Reactions

Latest posts