Hi I'm new

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
none (yet) I've had parrots in the past which were two budgies and a cockatiel right now I currently have two lizards
forgot to add that I have experience with macaws because i worked with my uncle's birds he's a breeder of scarlet macaws

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
forgot to add that I have experience with macaws because i worked with my uncle's birds he's a breeder of scarlet macaws
Maybe you should meet a Pionus and a green cheeked conure, if you’ve not already done so. And maybe move in to see what your housemates will be like? In case you need to be careful with your future bird. Or, will the bird be in your bedroom and no one else has access to him/ her?

Do you imagine hanging out reading and watching movies with your bird (quiet Pionus) or playing fetch and learning tricks with your green cheeked conure?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Iris, looking forward to your next life chapter with a parrot! I'm not personally familiar with candidate species but GCCs are immensely popular! You may find a bird immensely therapeutic and joyful!!

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
none (yet) I've had parrots in the past which were two budgies and a cockatiel right now I currently have two lizards
Maybe you should meet a Pionus and a green cheeked conure, if you’ve not already done so. And maybe move in to see what your housemates will be like? In case you need to be careful with your future bird. Or, will the bird be in your bedroom and no one else has access to him/ her?

Do you imagine hanging out reading and watching movies with your bird (quiet Pionus) or playing fetch and learning tricks with your green cheeked conure?
so I plan on meeting a breeder before I even think of buying parrot and I'm gonna ask her a bunch of questions and find out by meeting many different duskies and green cheeked conures I'm think I'll probably go with a dusky tho because I'll probably need a somewhat more quiet bird for the apartment and I'll know for sure once I move in because it really depends on my roommate and how they feel about it along with the staff members and food(fresh fruit and veggies and greens) are already figured out because I have a bearded dragon who eat the same thing

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots

I just found out about Quakers and also thinking about maybe getting a Quaker I dunno which one would be best for petting it's head and chilling and playing with but also apartment friendly

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think Quaker parakeets are great birds and mine have been very pettable and interactive, less hyper than green cheeked conures in my experience. If you find a hand raised baby it will want a LOT of time but will also be very smart.

All three Quakers that I have had have learned not to poop on me but to go on paper or in a garbage can. My first Quaker would even say “potty” when she needed to go. (If you aren’t attentive you will get pooped on, though).

However, Quakers CAN be loud in a scolding, ack-ack-ack sort of way, and can be very naughty. Now that I have my own apartment and it’s usually quiet, my Quaker is usually quiet. Unless he wants something, or I’ve just gotten home or woken up, or he needs to warn me about the scary garbage truck/ Dustbuster/ vacuum cleaner/ tape measure/ laundry cart that we’re passing…

My Willow usually wants some bird time every day, focused petting and head scratches and kisses. Lucy used to like to go on walks and to music festivals and block parties. Even when she was very old she was up for a party and loved live music and singing. I have no idea if Willow would come out of his shell for such a thing as he’s much more retiring but he might. Maybe we will find out this summer.

Lucy used to arrange things and build in her cage. Willow does not. He didn’t have many toys until coming to me a year and a half ago. But he does love to be pet and is a cuddly bird once he’s settled in.

Attachments

• 3352E009-E237-455D-BBF6-8CB7C013B86C.jpeg
    3352E009-E237-455D-BBF6-8CB7C013B86C.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 9841E4CE-1373-493D-A291-46ED94AEAA79.jpeg
    9841E4CE-1373-493D-A291-46ED94AEAA79.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
I think Quaker parakeets are great birds and mine have been very pettable and interactive, less hyper than green cheeked conures in my experience. If you find a hand raised baby it will want a LOT of time but will also be very smart.

All three Quakers that I have had have learned not to poop on me but to go on paper or in a garbage can. My first Quaker would even say “potty” when she needed to go. (If you aren’t attentive you will get pooped on, though).

However, Quakers CAN be loud in a scolding, ack-ack-ack sort of way, and can be very naughty. Now that I have my own apartment and it’s usually quiet, my Quaker is usually quiet. Unless he wants something, or I’ve just gotten home or woken up, or he needs to warn me about the scary garbage truck/ Dustbuster/ vacuum cleaner/ tape measure/ laundry cart that we’re passing…

My Willow usually wants some bird time every day, focused petting and head scratches and kisses. Lucy used to like to go on walks and to music festivals and block parties. Even when she was very old she was up for a party and loved live music and singing. I have no idea if Willow would come out of his shell for such a thing as he’s much more retiring but he might. Maybe we will find out this summer.

Lucy used to arrange things and build in her cage. Willow does not. He didn’t have many toys until coming to me a year and a half ago. But he does love to be pet and is a cuddly bird once he’s settled in.
I'm thinking I'll probably get a dusky pionus because I found a dusky breeder very close to me who also breeds green cheek conures so I'll go check out both but I need a parrot that won't be so loud because I'm gonna be living with another person and staff so I need a somewhat quiet bird and I still want a somewhat cuddly parrot but the parrot still needs to be okay with playing with his/her toys when I'm at work(I only work on weekends and I work 8 hour shifts) and school (during the weekdays)

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots

also do you think a quaker is normally a one-person bird or can it bond with multiple people?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think Quakers usually do choose one person as their favorite. They will tolerate other people if managed right. (For example, my Lucy would allow other people to pet her and would step up for them.) But they will always like their favorite person best. That’s pretty common for parrots in general.

OP
I

Iris654223

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
I think Quakers usually do choose one person as their favorite. They will tolerate other people if managed right. (For example, my Lucy would allow other people to pet her and would step up for them.) But they will always like their favorite person best. That’s pretty common for parrots in general.
okay thx I've decided on a green cheeked conure

Most Reactions

Latest posts