Hi there everyone!

nikki9093

Jan 25, 2021
So I recently brought home a 15 yr old Sun Conure. His name is Jose. Heā€™s in quarantine right now, but Iā€™m wanting to work with him. Heā€™s original owner passed away, and his caretaker is moving out of state. So here I am with a very solemn parakeet, every once in a while heā€™ll sound off. I want to put him in a slightly bigger cage, and really work with him so he isnā€™t so sad. I talk to him, he will accept treats from my hand, so Iā€™ve gotten that farā€¦ Iā€™ll walk into the room while heā€™s eating and he literally freezes in mid bite and just stares at me. I need ideas on how to win this bird over. Food treats? I tried pine nuts, and he donā€™t like those. So tonight Iā€™m going to try almond slivers. His caretaker sent me with a 30+ page book about him and his life, how put him to bed and how to feed himā€¦(I got like, a bunch of birds already, so not a noob to birds in general). I just want to right by him.

Attachments

• BB4CB155-70EE-4D14-9735-DECF7559D2EC.jpeg
    BB4CB155-70EE-4D14-9735-DECF7559D2EC.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 90

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome! Jose is a delight! Thanks for taking him in. I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

D

Deleted member 42416

Heā€™s beautiful! He just needs time to adjust (and grieve separation from his former flock). Heā€™ll eventually come around. Keep trying with the treats, soft kind words, and enriched environment. Even in quarantine Iā€™ll bet he can hear the other birbies and may even be excited to see them when itā€™s time.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
So I did lose this bird. Freak accident and totally my fault. He was in my arms when he flew over the rainbow bridge.
I am so sorry! It wasn't your fault and this experience could only help prevent you from repeating it in your future endeavors with your birds. Godspeed to the rainbow bridge! If you need to talk, we're always here to listen and help you through this.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
So I did lose this bird. Freak accident and totally my fault. He was in my arms when he flew over the rainbow bridge.
Hugs and lots of love to you! Accidents are just that - accidents! I know it doesn't make it any easier, but know that we are here for you and many of us have been through similar circumstances. ā¤ļø

Most Reactions

Latest posts