Chester

Jul 17, 2018
Central Coast NSW, Australia
Parrots
Galah
Indian Ringneck pair
Hi,
I'm a new Galah owner and forum member!
My new boy (?) is a few months old and we love him to bits already. Quick question however; he shakes and nuzles closing his eyes whenever he is scratched and petted whilst on his perch (by me). Any ideas? Should I be concerned? There is no aggression whatsoever, he seems happy enough and goes between shouting and joining in conversation with the family to just sitting quietly.
Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, thanks for joining!!

Is this behavior a rhythmic oscillation with some head jerking and the utterance of soft sounds? Sounds very much like cockatoo "mating ritual." Several of mine do this periodically for a few minutes, with the head tilted back. Your bird may be a bit too young. Can you take and post a video for verification?

OP
C

Chester

Jul 17, 2018
Parrots
Galah
Indian Ringneck pair
Hi Scott.
He stays quiet but closes his eyes, nuzzles his head into the palm of my hand and the shake is a subtle wing tremble more than anything else. As for the age, I am taking what I have been told about the bird as true. Will try and get a quick video organised! Thanks

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome.
Good for you, for reaching out.
Scott (above) is a cockatoo expert and afficionado. He'll guide you well!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Sounds like he's doing the "baby thing", if he's only 3 months old then that's not uncommon. If you've ever seen a baby cockatoo taking a formula-feeding, that's exactly what they do, they raise their wings a bit and start shaking them...He's probably just enjoying the attention...Just to be sure, he is fully-weaned at this point, correct? Has he been crying or whining at all?

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Welcome Chester. It seems affection (perhaps verging on mating'ish). Welcome!

OP
C

Chester

Jul 17, 2018
Parrots
Galah
Indian Ringneck pair
Wow, thanks for the welcome!
SO in a bad turn of events young Nino became very lethargic so I rang a friend's wife (a vet) and took him in to see her. The result is that he has a massively enlarged liver from incorrect feeding and what appears to be some metal in his stomach. Poor Nino had to undergo a number of x-rays and is now at the vet practice for a few days having some meds to help alleviate the liver stress. Even though we have only had him a week or so my two kids got quite upset at him becoming unwell, because he has become one of the gang!! So keep your fingers crossed and I'll get some pics up as soon as he comes home. Thanks again for your kind words.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Wow! Poor Nino indeed! Is this by any chance from the place you got him from? Or something that might have developed in your home?

OP
C

Chester

Jul 17, 2018
Parrots
Galah
Indian Ringneck pair
Hi Monica. Given we have had him just over a week, it is from where we got him. Feeding sunflower seeds as main diet has been identified as causative.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Ohnoes.... I hope he'll pull through - only a few months old....
Good thing he ended up with you as a family, now he at least has a chance.
Well done you!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh my, at 3 months old someone was feeding him only sunflower seeds? That's awful...But I doubt the diet has a whole lot to do with a liver that is that enlarged, that takes time to happen (Fatty Liver Disease), usually quite a long time. The metal ingestion, however, could absolutely cause an hugely enlarged liver...I hope that they are able to chelate the metal and get him well again, that can happen to anyone with a bird, especially a baby, as they get into everything and chew on everything...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this after just bringing him home...positive energy your way...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to hear of his illness. I assume the vet is avian certified or the equivalent; this is a tricky diagnosis. Has the vet discussed techniques to remove the metal?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Sorry to hear of his illness. I assume the vet is avian certified or the equivalent; this is a tricky diagnosis. Has the vet discussed techniques to remove the metal?

That's a very good and important question Scott, I'm hoping that the Vet went over the entire process with them, because depending on what it is and how large it is determines the type and length of treatment for this...Sometimes it's very easy, sometimes it's a long course of chelation-therapy, where they actually have the metal bind to a substance they inject into them, so that the body can then safely excrete the injectible substance normally, with the metal bound to it, preventing it from being absorbed by the body...I haven't seen this done in quite a while, but they used to inject Calcium EDTA as the binding-agent...I don't know if they still use it or if they use something else...I hope their vet is certainly a CAV and is experienced in doing this, and has explained the entire process to them..

The other thing that needs to be addressed is that the metal that he ingested could very likely have been ingested in your home and not in the prior-owner's home, it just depends on what kind of metal it is. Some metals have to build-up in the body over-time to cause outward signs and symptoms of illness and to cause physiological responses, such as an enlarged-liver, and then some metals cause extremely acute-illness and physiological responses (acute metal toxicity)...So I'm hoping that the CAV can go over this with you and determine exactly what type of metal it is, as well as how much is inside him, because if it was something that he got hold of in your home during the past week that you've had him, you definitely need to do a search around the places in your home he can get to, things he can get a hold of or has been chewing on, etc. If it's just tiny little flecks of metal inside him, then that is typically the kind of metal poisoning that takes time to develop, and is usually from them chewing on something over-time, such as the coating on their cage-bars, or some kind of metal or ceramic object, painted objects, etc. They are such little buggers when they are young, well, all the time really, lol...they can chew on anything and everything they can get a hold of...

OP
C

Chester

Jul 17, 2018
Parrots
Galah
Indian Ringneck pair
So good to have so much support. Thank you.
My vet is an experienced and well qualified one with Avian qualifications. Fingers crossed we get Nino home soon. Will keep you posted!
Thanks again.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
The vibrating sounds like cockatoo sex- pet his head only and redirect attention to a new activity etc when you see sexual behavior...

EDIT- So sorry you are going through this. I just saw the liver thing. I adopted my u2 and had some similar issues, but I am not sure about the metal.It is still possible that the vibrating was sexual. I will say that my cockatoo went from seriously ill (liver issues due to her past diet with a different home) to normal within a semi-short period of time, and it was serious because she also had an infection. She is 10. I limited seeds, gave tons of fruit/veg and a mix of lactulose (seizure prevention due to excess ammonia and failing liver) + milk thistle 2x daily (.5mg each). This was a liquid mixed by the vet.

We also avoided any high-protein foods or foods high in sugar or fat. Sorry to hear you are going through that stress, but I feel like my Too' and I just scaled a massive mountain, as I was sure she was going to die when I adopted her...Lethargy and weird poop triggered my concern about her liver and it wasn't long after I got her. After 2 months (ish) all blood-work was normal, so there is hope!!! When we saw her new levels both my vet and I were shocked....I feel your pain though.

WELCOME BY THE WAY!

Last edited:
OP
C

Chester

Jul 17, 2018
Parrots
Galah
Indian Ringneck pair
Ok so Nino is back home and obviously feeling better as he has found a new game.....flying around the house from his perch/play station to the various parts of furniture around the house! All this with clipped wings. His liver is almost back to normal and the treatment has sorted out the metal poisoning too. Happy days.
Any advice on how to curb the flying? A number of ornaments have bitten the dust!

Most Reactions

Latest posts