Home 1 week and barely makes a sound.

Willie68

Jul 25, 2013
Hi Everyone.

We brought home our 3 month old male Eclectus just over a week ago. He was bred and raised by a local person, so we were able to get to know him from being only 5 weeks old and over the next two months while he weaned. Since we have brought him home, he has barely made a sound.. It's not that we are complaining, and we know that Eclectus tend to be on the quiet side, but he hasn't made any kind of typical bird yell/scream; not once. Over this last weekend, he started to made some baby-ish, almost trying to talk, noises at night when he was getting tired, but thats it. I know that he can scream, because we had him at the Vet last week and he let out quite a few.
I'm just curious if this is normal?

thanks

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello and congratulations on your new eclectus!

I think its very normal, he is just getting used to his new environment, and would be very scared!

I did not hear my macaw talk until 13 days after i got him (Just looking back at my old records), and thats a macaw who are known to be loud! haha

and i cant even remember when he first screamed, he is such a quiet macaw!

and the reason he did talk was because i was playing guitar, and next thing he started talking! I couldn't believe it!

Just give him time to adjust and he will be chattering away in no time when he is comfortable with you all! :)

Try reading or singing to him, it might make him want to join in!

Good luck!

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
All I can say is enjoy the peace and make the most of it lol!! :) Congrats on your new eccy!

natv

Jan 24, 2013
South Florida
Parrots
Eclectus - Vosmaeri
Congrats!

Mine was very quite for the first few days as well, so I think this is perfectly normal while he gets used to his new environment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts