Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Can anyone vouch for a bird-safe hot plate that is just the plain, old-fashioned electric kind?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Only if it is a very old one, like 40 plus years old!
Any newer and the coating used are dangerous 'when' they off-gas and Kill Parrots and Humans with lung problems as well.

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
I recently moved to a place where Percy had to be in the kitchen, so did a bunch of research and contacted a couple people about this, I ended up getting this one stainless steel, but before using it near him I used it about 3-5 times in a well air-rated room and open windows to cook of the protective coat and such… been using it for a while now and everything seams good vet said he’s very healthy, though sometimes I still crack open a window or move him to another room if using it on high for a lengthy time… not sure if this is what you mean?

Attachments

• CF787CDE-E811-4038-8F71-66B5ACADF477.png
    CF787CDE-E811-4038-8F71-66B5ACADF477.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 25

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What 'Boats is refering to is the fact that modern hot plates (and basically anything with an electric heating element - crock pots, air fryers, hair dryers, etc, etc) have a coating on the heating elements to prevent corrosion of them. This means that any number of "space age" coatings might be present. That and the fact that 99.999% of appliances are made in China, where controls on use of chemicals is like the old days of the Wild West, where anything goes as long as you are not caught, means you cannot be sure the coating is safe for use around parrots. Advertisements that say PTFE (teflon), PFOA etc FREE can mean that the coating is indeed safe BUT in the chemical world, changing just one molecule in a formula means that the chemical is not technically teflon, allowing the manufacturer to say that but the coating may still be toxic to birds.

What you did with your hot plate is one way to reduce the chances of creating toxic fumes. Run the unit at the highest temperature possible several times, outdoors or with maximum ventilation.

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Only if it is a very old one, like 40 plus years old!
Any newer and the coating used are dangerous 'when' they off-gas and Kill Parrots and Humans with lung problems as well.
Thank you, yes that is precisely why I am asking. My peeps have been with me for a long time, and we've been through so much together. Their safety is my first priority.

I do not have access to a stove or rangetop, so I need a safe way to boil water and prepare food.

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
I recently moved to a place where Percy had to be in the kitchen, so did a bunch of research and contacted a couple people about this, I ended up getting this one stainless steel, but before using it near him I used it about 3-5 times in a well air-rated room and open windows to cook of the protective coat and such… been using it for a while now and everything seams good vet said he’s very healthy, though sometimes I still crack open a window or move him to another room if using it on high for a lengthy time… not sure if this is what you mean?
Yes, something like the Cusimax is what I am looking for. I prefer the iron burner type over a glass top, but at this point I will take what I can get. The Amazon page for this one seems to have questions and reviews for both an iron burner type and glass top. May I ask which kind you have? The one in the photo I assume?

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
I am still in the research phase. The companies I've contacted have coatings on the burner, but I have not gotten any information on if this completely burns off and what conditions must be met, or if the coating is more or less permanent.

I'd bought replacement iron coil burners for a GE rangetop in the past, and cranked the heat on those for awhile to burn off any residue, and used without incident for years. I am not sure if it's the same for hotplates or if the process is different.
What 'Boats is refering to is the fact that modern hot plates (and basically anything with an electric heating element - crock pots, air fryers, hair dryers, etc, etc) have a coating on the heating elements to prevent corrosion of them. This means that any number of "space age" coatings might be present. That and the fact that 99.999% of appliances are made in China, where controls on use of chemicals is like the old days of the Wild West, where anything goes as long as you are not caught, means you cannot be sure the coating is safe for use around parrots. Advertisements that say PTFE (teflon), PFOA etc FREE can mean that the coating is indeed safe BUT in the chemical world, changing just one molecule in a formula means that the chemical is not technically teflon, allowing the manufacturer to say that but the coating may still be toxic to birds.

What you did with your hot plate is one way to reduce the chances of creating toxic fumes. Run the unit at the highest temperature possible several times, outdoors or with maximum ventilation.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Look for the word ceramic.....A lot of manufacturers have learned that ewww teflon PTFE bad, ceramic good because its basically just a rock with no chemicals....

1686871164374.png

and inquire if it has any ptfe for this, your air fryer or anything. I think they can't make PFA burners anymore because all are real bad. Ceramic is the only one that is safe. I'ts basically toilet bowl material over the heater element thats ok to cook on.

you don't have to get this one but look for ceramic. It's just smooth washable stone.

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Parrots

Yeah sadly there is nothing that’s 100% safe 😔 that’s why I try to cook with him out the room and window open

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Parrots
Yes, something like the Cusimax is what I am looking for. I prefer the iron burner type over a glass top, but at this point I will take what I can get. The Amazon page for this one seems to have questions and reviews for both an iron burner type and glass top. May I ask which kind you have? The one in the photo I assume?
Yeah the one in photo… though I may end up getting another in the future if I can find a better one… but I was getting to the point where I just thought I’d cook on the fire pit outside 😂

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Yeah the one in photo… though I may end up getting another in the future if I can find a better one… but I was getting to the point where I just thought I’d cook on the fire pit outside 😂
LOL.. that is about where I am. I'd used a single burner Aroma induction hot plate for about 8 years, company assured me no nonstick chemicals and we had no issues. I don't see it on Amazon anymore, so maybe it's discontinued. I stopped using induction for health reasons, but it may be worth looking into. It's crazy how few options are out there.

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Look for the word ceramic.....A lot of manufacturers have learned that ewww teflon PTFE bad, ceramic good because its basically just a rock with no chemicals....

View attachment 51572

and inquire if it has any ptfe for this, your air fryer or anything. I think they can't make PFA burners anymore because all are real bad. Ceramic is the only one that is safe. I'ts basically toilet bowl material over the heater element thats ok to cook on.

you don't have to get this one but look for ceramic. It's just smooth washable stone.
Thank you! I am definitely going to look into these.

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
Thank you, yes that is precisely why I am asking. My peeps have been with me for a long time, and we've been through so much together. Their safety is my first priority.

I do not have access to a stove or rangetop, so I need a safe way to boil water and prepare food.
Are you still using your hot plate with no issues
Thanks

OP
P

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Are you still using your hot plate with no issues
Thanks
I've been using an Aroma electric kettle to boil water, no issues. I also bought a very basic electric hotplate that I used for months outdoors to burn off the toxic protectant on the coil burner before using a couple times in the RV with the birds with no issues, but I've only used it a handful of times because I do not trust it. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a sustainable solution.

Links to the two products I'm currently using:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I've been using an Aroma electric kettle to boil water, no issues. I also bought a very basic electric hotplate that I used for months outdoors to burn off the toxic protectant on the coil burner before using a couple times in the RV with the birds with no issues, but I've only used it a handful of times because I do not trust it. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a sustainable solution.

Links to the two products I'm currently using:
It appears that the heating chamber is enclosed and that likely greatly helps.

Most Reactions