Housing multiple birds

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Sep 18, 2022
Hello! Hope you and your birds are doing well! I had a question I was hoping you could answer....

I wanted to ask if one is adopting a pair of BGs as pets is it better to get opposite sex birds or same sex birds? I am asking this because I watched a YouTube video where a couple adopted a pair of BG and they started to build nests when they hit puberty. Eventually they chose the bathroom as a nesting site. they dragged whatever they could get hold of towels and what not into a corner of the bathroom and spent all of their time there. Then they became aggressive and would not allow their owners anywhere near the nest. Not just aggressive but out for blood kind of aggressive.

So, it got me thinking if it was possible to avoid this by keeping same sex parrots together of the same species. What would be the difference between keeping two BG males vs two BG females together? Whatever scenario is better would it apply to a seperate species such as Alexandrines as well?

And also, what would be the scenario if there were an Alexandrine male and a BG female or vice versa to be housed together?

Thank you for taking out the time to go through my message. I am looking forward to your response :)

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I am a strong proponent of providing a parrot with a same-species, opposite-sex companion, which is what Nature intended for them. There can be challenges with that, of course, but they can be prevented, mitigated, or managed.

I have been doing this for adult parrots, who happen to have grown up as only parrots, so it is actually a challenge to get them to be comfortable around another parrot--sad, but true. This surely delays pair-bonding and potential nesting/mating behaviors.

I think it is key to understand that "bottom" surfaces are required for nesting. For example, I made a custom "sleeping" box for a female Amazon parrot at my local rescue. Because it does not have a solid bottom, nesting is impossible.
1664293919658.png

(The downward perch angle was by-design, to allow her to pass her tail around as she stepped in facing the back, then turned to face out and face the room.)

It also has an open front, letting a lot of light in, which is unappealing for nesting.

Managing environment goes a long way in preventing nesting. Parrots are smart, though, so we have to monitor them, and adjust accordingly.

I think it is selfish of us to deprive a parrot of a same-species, opposite-sex companion, just to prevent possible challenging behaviors that may or may not occur. I like to say that allopreening is the greatest gift. That's not quite accurate, because same-sex parrots can allopreen. Allopreening from a same-species, opposite-sex, lifetime companion parrot is the greatest gift. Please give that gift! The rewards for them--and you--will be more than you can imagine.

Last edited:

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Also, look through the Mikey & Mia channel on YouTube. They are same-species, opposite-sex Macaws that their keepers have had long enough to face some challenges and overcome them.

One of their recent videos was about the pair making a nest. They also discuss the dynamic in bonds between the Macaws and the humans over time.

[Edit] I started watching that video--wow, they cover a lot of interesting topics related to this.

Last edited:
OP
S

southshore

Aug 15, 2014
Also, look through the Mikey & Mia channel on YouTube. They are same-species, opposite-sex Macaws that their keepers have had long enough to face some challenges and overcome them.

One of their recent videos was about the pair making a nest. They also discuss the dynamic in bonds between the Macaws and the humans over time.

[Edit] I started watching that video--wow, they cover a lot of interesting topics related to this.

LOL! This is the video I saw and was referring to! Made me wonder if it was such a good idea to house opposite sex macaws.

Makes me wonder, what would the scenario be like for same sex birds house together? It would be great to hear your opinion on that!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
@southshore, I have two male Senegals who have shared a room-sized aviary, with an open, mesh-wall to the rest of the main floor, open floorplan. I shared photos in this thread:

The male Senegals see us (Timneh and two female Senegals) at all times. Two same-sex, same-species parrots, in this case, they are like brothers. They get along great, until they have a spat about something. Then, there is chaos briefly. They do allopreen, once in a while, but no hormonal behavior toward one another, just toward the two females outside the aviary.

I want to integrate all of them, by removing the aviary wall, but the first female made the first male afraid of her, with being too forward (borderline aggressive), and the second male was given to me because he attacks his human, going for blood, no exaggeration. He got me a few times.

I really want them to have the same-species, opposite-sex bonding experience they all seek in Nature. I know it will have challenges. I accept that.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts