How can i get my grey to bond with ME more?

Aug 6, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
GCC-*Boo*, TAG-*Charlie
I got a 5 month old timneh grey about 3 weeks ago. He is a little poop. He doesnt bite but he hits you with his beak because he knows he shouldnt bite. He mostly mouths to warn you but he will never bite hard. I have been handling parrots since age 9( and i mean large parrots such as greys, macaws, cockatoos and etc.) and I am now 13. I gave up having nothing for christmas and nothing for my birthday to get him. His name is charlie. I already made the commitment that i will never ever leave my mom to care for him when i go away to school. I made the commitiment of having to not go far to school like college and stay away. I am having him move with me once im older and i might even be moving within the next 1-2 years but not far. Just out of my town. Like towns near mine. But even though ive only had him for 3 weeks, our bond isnt working well. He loves my mom so much more then me. He always snuggles with her and lets her gives her scartches and sometimes step up off his cage for her which he will never do for me. He has been getting father away(bond wise) to me as he gets nicer to her. I like the fact he likes many people such as my dad and grandma and hes pretty social and doesnt attack other when they go near him. He let my sisters friend handle him. But i dont want him to get nasty to me because he loves my mom and then when im older hes goning to attack me. Im jealous that he likes her more. I thought he likes her because she looked similar to the lady at the bird shop but thats not the case. I expected our bond to go much better. Now i cant ever clicker train him because if I do he goes to look for my mom. Im mad and sad because i really want to be able to create a great bond while hes young and before its too late. Please help!:grey: :confused:

Doves1

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Phoenix the Scarlet Macaw
Make sure it's you that does everything for him, feed, clean, water, handle. Give him treats out of your hand and once he's comfortable with taking them make him step up onto your hand for those treats.

Eventually he will come to know and bond to you.

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
hi, there! you are really responsible and very well spoken for a 13 year old. i guess it will take more patience and your willingness to earn his trust. he may switch from liking your mom to you, you never know. i had 1 bird for years that was bonded with me until she met my husband. she preferred him for a while, but she started to like me again simply for food and treats. try to look like you are a lot of fun in front of your grey by playing with toys but dont give it to him. i guess it's like playing hard to get with a parrot. good luck and hang in there.

btw i was a commuter at nyu and never dormed. dorming is very laming, but that is another thread. i think you can have your bird with you as you grow with no problems. when i moved out and lived with my roommate, i took my bird with me that i had since i was 14 lol. i still have her with me now, too, she's like 16 years old maybe...

wildwest

Feb 1, 2012
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Senegal
Green Parakeet
I got a 5 month old timneh grey about 3 weeks ago. He is a little poop. He doesnt bite but he hits you with his beak because he knows he shouldnt bite. :grey: :confused:

he is a infant in bird terms and i guarantee you he does does not know biting is wrong, he does not bite you because he doesn't feel like it. give it a few more months or when he is in his terrible 2's and you will get bit. its just the nature of all birds.

as far as bonding, i would start off by limiting how much contact he has with other people. have him see you as his only source of food, pleasure and security.

Last edited:

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
Just like Wildwest said...He's just a baby. You need to be the primary caregiver. That will help you gain his trust. It's always important to remember Greys are wild animals and regard us as flockmates. Greys are also the most intelligent and sensitive members of the parrot family. They really do choose their relationships.

Our first was Paddywack, a Congo, who initially liked both my wife and me. He eventually bonded with my wife and tolerated me. He knew not to bite, however it was a game with him. He'd sit on my wrist, quickly take a swipe with his beak on my thumb, then say, "Stop it. Bad Bird...Ha, Ha, Ha." The only time he'd let me scratch him was when my wife was away on a trip and I was left at home, alone, to care for him. Currently, we have a Timneh and a Congo. We chose the Timneh because they tend to be more "family" birds than Congos (good news for you). Right now, we share caregiving together, equally. I do spend more time with Babu (TAG) but have to give equivalent time to Bindi (CAG) to ensure that she trusts me and I become at least, an equal flockmate. We will need to let nature take its course.

One other short story, even though this involves two of our dachshunds. We purchased Pearl specifically for my wife. About a week later, the breeder wondered if we wanted her brother, Finn. I especially wanted Finn, because he was a perfect Black-and-Tan. As it turns out, Pearl bonded with me, and Finn with my wife. (Dachshunds tend to bond with one member of a family, even though they do adopt the entire family).

Most Reactions

Latest posts