How can I make the wood branch I found safe?

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I found a huge branch that I know my Lovebirds will love to play/perch on. Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure of the branch, but considering there's only Birch tree (definitely not birch as it does not have the Birch surface), maple leaf and service berry or some other berry tree that the pigeons eat on; it will be one of this).

I washed it again in the shower, and the last branch I took; they sort of look similar but i'm not sure, I torched with a lighter for hours. Now this branch is way bigger, and right it's in my balcony exposed to the extreme cold. Will blow drying it really hot for a long time dry it out and kill any potential pathogens, toxic sap, or should I still torch it to the point that it dries out?

thoughts....

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Usually we recommend putting branches into an oven and bake it at around 400oF. Torching it, never heard of anyone doing that, but seems like it would work.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
There are a few things you want to make sure of and they are that the wood is a type safe for birds, that it hasn't been treated with any pesticides, and that no harmful chemicals have been sprayed on the wood to disinfect it.
If you are sure of the above, then you have a couple of options one is to bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for at least an hour. The second would be to soak it in a bleach solution of one tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water. You could use your bathtub. Just make sure you add enough of the formula above to submerge the wood. Let it soak for a few hours. Then rinse and allow to dry.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I am not 100% sure of the branch,
I don't know if the apps can identify just a branch, but if it has leaves that helps a lot. I use "PictureThis". You can upload photos on their website, or via their apps. There are several good alternative apps, too.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Will blow drying it really hot for a long time dry it out and kill any potential pathogens, toxic sap, or should I still torch it to the point that it dries out?
The general guidance is that you need a long exposure to the heat to fully penetrate and kill anything that could be living deep inside the wood. This requires an enclosure, like an oven, but it is not practical for large branches.

I use UV, which is a great sanitizer for surfaces, but does not penetrate deep into wood. Bleach won't penetrate deep either, and it is a toxic chemical, so use it carefully, and try to rinse-soak it, too.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I do have a torch I can borrow...but how long do I torch it...just before burning point?

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
apparently it's leatherwood
and it's fruit can cause digestive issues
can't find any info if it is safe for parrots

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Finding known-safe wood info is a challenge. Then, some info indicates different safety levels of the wood, versus the bark, versus sap, versus leaves, versus nuts, seeds, or fruits—all for the same "tree".

If it is not known-safe and it is not known-toxic (I search both directions), then we are gambling.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I can't find anything on any of the safe woods lists that I have or by googling that state whether leatherwood is safe or not. So, for me I wouldn't be willing to chance it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If there’s a chance wild pigeons have been using it, I’d toss it.

Pigeons are cute, but they can carry a lot of nasty diseases that your psittacine doesn’t have natural defenses against. Additionally, if you’re in the US, we had a nasty outbreak of bird flu this year, so I’d be hesitant to use anything I couldn’t bake or otherwise 100% sanitize.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think that washing off loose debris, bleaching, and soaking to remove bleach would be plenty. I would dry in the sun or air dry after bleaching.

I would not “torch” a branch. If it’s small enough I’d wash off loose soil and bake in an oven under 250 F.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
lol..it's massive, it won't fit in the oven for sure, not even the fridge

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
lol..it's massive, it won't fit in the oven for sure, not even the fridge
You could always cut it into pieces to oven cure it, then put it back together with screws or similar.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Lol...I'll let it freeze really badly outside, then torch heat it but not to the point of burning it; it's the least cumbersome to do than the oven thing...my bigger concern is trying to identreefy the branch lol

Most Reactions