How did our parrotlet die?

talkingpie

Nov 12, 2022
Our male parrotlet of 12 years tragically passed away a few days ago. Unfortunately we’re unsure how it died. My mother found his lifeless body at the bottom of the cage with splashes of blood all around. I inspected the body and noticed dried blood around its rectum and something large and brown poking out of it. You can find a picture here, but warning, it is a bit graphic. I googled and assume it’s related to a prolapsed cloaca but there were no signs of this or him acting in pain that led up to his death. He seemed perfectly fine during the morning but no one was home during most of the day to witness what happened.

Sadly, I'm picturing him flying around in pain and trying to peck at his bottom because there was also a bit of blood on its beak and one of its feathers looked damaged. My family is left with a lot of questions, but if anyone can give any insight it would be sorely appreciated. Thanks.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Our male parrotlet of 12 years tragically passed away a few days ago. Unfortunately we’re unsure how it died. My mother found his lifeless body at the bottom of the cage with splashes of blood all around. I inspected the body and noticed dried blood around its rectum and something large and brown poking out of it. You can find a picture here, but warning, it is a bit graphic. I googled and assume it’s related to a prolapsed cloaca but there were no signs of this or him acting in pain that led up to his death. He seemed perfectly fine during the morning but no one was home during most of the day to witness what happened.

Sadly, I'm picturing him flying around in pain and trying to peck at his bottom because there was also a bit of blood on its beak and one of its feathers looked damaged. My family is left with a lot of questions, but if anyone can give any insight it would be sorely appreciated. Thanks.
I’m wondering if your parrotlet was female and eggbound, which led to a prolapsed cloaca but not passing of the egg.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
How terrible... thank you for sharing: I hope our sincere sympathies will support you.
Good guess, Heather. I wonder.

If you decide to pursue professional help...
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if the owner can feel an egg in the parrotlets lower belly. If there’s an egg in there that urgently needs to come out, you can usually feel the egg.

If you see tissue protruding from the cloaca, your bird needs to go to the vet. That tissue is not supposed to dry out. The vet needs to put it back and maybe place a stitch to keep it in. Also they need to figure out what caused the prolapse in the first place.

I am so sorry this happened to your poor parrotlet. Losing a friend of 12 years is very very hard.

OP
T

talkingpie

Nov 12, 2022
Thank you for the condolences and responses. The thought of our bird being female did cross my mind however this would be the first time in 12 years it would try to lay an egg so it's very unlikely that there was gender mix-up. To me, it almost looks like it's intestines or something else internal was protruding outward.

We have already buried him in our backyard so a necropsy wouldn't be possible.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry for your loss.

A female can lay eggs at any time. One of my green checks laid eggs with no male in home for the first time at 10 years old .

In older parrots, its possible reproduction cancer possible in both male internal testicle or female ovarian.

Unfortunately, parrots will hide signs of anything going on. So often things have been going on longer than we know. Except things like egg binding, which quickly becomes emergency. But there is a real possibility of cancer in Your instance. I understand completely wanting to know as much as you can. Butvwe can just offer most likely ideas.

I'm not sure lifespan in this species. But 12 years is probably a good lifespan even if reports longer. No matter tge time with us it is never long enough.

Most Reactions