How do I get her to always fly to me when cued?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My Sun Conure is almost 20 years old and had a late start with training meaning I didn't start teaching her stuff outside of step-up until she was like 18 years old.

Last year I taught her how to fly to my hand from a standing perch. I notice that this is the only training behavior that is not consistent. What I mean is some days she will always do it on cue but other days she won't. She will either just sit there or do something else like the big eagle. Is this normal for birds? Is there any way to solidify this behavior? I have tried using different treats but that doesn't work.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots have minds of their own, and like to mess with thier humans. Some nights Salty will refuse a trick he knows like the back of his wing. Done it hundreds of times, just not tonight. Be glad your Sunny does it sporadically!

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
when i taught my bird to fly to me on command, I started really close so she could see the treat. maybe on the days that she isn't cooperating, get close again to her until she hops on and give her the treat. then maybe get a little further. I find that when I talk to my birdie and tell her good girl and coax her she does things more quickly, so maybe tell her that she is a good girl and it will help!

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
when i taught my bird to fly to me on command, I started really close so she could see the treat. maybe on the days that she isn't cooperating, get close again to her until she hops on and give her the treat. then maybe get a little further. I find that when I talk to my birdie and tell her good girl and coax her she does things more quickly, so maybe tell her that she is a good girl and it will help!
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do. When she doesn't cooperate she sometimes "gets mad" when I try to entice her to come to me. LIke she will let a screech that sounds like "leave me alone." Today, she was flying to me no problem.

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
hmm.... i dont then.... i think when u think she is mad i read that u should ignore them for like 5 sec, so she sees that getting mad doesn't giver her what she wants.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts