Female eclectus scream

Amna

Active member
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Messages
87
Reaction score
117
Parrots
Female eclectus
Hello, I'm currently having a problem with Rudi that I've never experienced before.

When Rudi was still unweaned, she used to scream, but it was just baby begging for food, like all chicks do. As she grew up, she became the most well-behaved bird ever. She almost never screamed. Whether she was inside her cage or out of it, she would only talk using the words I had taught her, unless something was bothering her.

She is now 1 year and 7 months old, and recently she has developed a terrible screaming habit. She screams literally all day long, and when I say that, I'm not exaggerating. The moment she wakes up at 7 a.m., she starts screaming and doesn't stop until she goes to sleep at night. I honestly have no idea what's wrong with her.

To give a bit more context, this behavior started about two months after I got Melon, even though Melon stays in a different part of the house.

Her health is perfectly fine. I had her checked, but I truly don't know why she's screaming like this. I'm wondering if it could be psychological, although she actually seems to enjoy screaming. She doesn't talk anymore; she only screams.

I'll attach a video so you can hear what her screaming sounds like.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: AMD
Morning! the clip sounds like a distress call? My 14 yr old OWA makes that noise when she is with the vet.
I am wondering if Rudi is calling out to the others. Even though they are in a different part of the house she knows they are there. Being flock creatures and her still being an adolecent I am wondering if she just wants to be near them. Have you tried introducing her to the others? This is just a thought on my part.
 
Morning! the clip sounds like a distress call? My 14 yr old OWA makes that noise when she is with the vet.
I am wondering if Rudi is calling out to the others. Even though they are in a different part of the house she knows they are there. Being flock creatures and her still being an adolecent I am wondering if she just wants to be near them. Have you tried introducing her to the others? This is just a thought on my part.
I tried introducing her to the conure, but she just gets extremely angry and tries to attack him, even when he's inside his cage. She also bites anyone who comes near her because she's so stressed and worked up. That's why I separated them and placed them in different areas for everyone's safety.

She's simply not the type of bird that accepts other birds. As for her screaming, I feel like she's trying to tell me something, but I just can't figure out what it is. Right now, all I can do is reward her whenever she's calm, and I'm hoping that eventually I'll see some good progress.
 
I tried introducing her to the conure, but she just gets extremely angry and tries to attack him, even when he's inside his cage. She also bites anyone who comes near her because she's so stressed and worked up. That's why I separated them and placed them in different areas for everyone's safety.

She's simply not the type of bird that accepts other birds. As for her screaming, I feel like she's trying to tell me something, but I just can't figure out what it is. Right now, all I can do is reward her whenever she's calm, and I'm hoping that eventually I'll see some good progress.
I really feel bad for you! Hopefully someone else will have some thoughts on what is going on.
 
Back
Top Bottom