May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Cossie bites a lot, especially if she's mad that she's not getting millet. Although I do admit I overstep her boundaries sometimes. The issue I've been having is she's such a small bird, and her bites don't hurt much, so I'm not really sure how to react? I want to respect the fact that she is clearly very frustrated and wound-up without encouraging the biting. I'd especially like tips from people with bigger birds, since I try to treat all the budgies like larger birds (respect-wise).

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The only budgie I have that bites me is Grim, he just isn’t fond of me.
I ignore it typically because he doesn’t really hurt.
When my bigger birds bite, especially if I directly caused it or wasn’t paying attention to their body language, I set them down if I was holding them or distract them.
I think it’s most important to try and remember, treat them like they’re huge lol.
Often I can figure out why they bit me, but times I can’t, letting them calm down with out me right there seems to help.
I use a question/answer system with most of my birds, I offer my hand out of their reach as in β€˜do you want to step up?’ If a foot is raised or they move closer so do I. I use this with petting too.
It helps avoid bites lots of times.
It’s especially helpful with Tony my Quaker.
The budgies are a little harder to read when I ask though so sometimes I make a mistake and get a pinch!
I just move my hand away and try again later.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I ha
Cossie bites a lot, especially if she's mad that she's not getting millet. Although I do admit I overstep her boundaries sometimes. The issue I've been having is she's such a small bird, and her bites don't hurt much, so I'm not really sure how to react? I want to respect the fact that she is clearly very frustrated and wound-up without encouraging the biting. I'd especially like tips from people with bigger birds, since I try to treat all the budgies like larger birds (respect-wise).
I have the same problem with Rocky. I think Rocky's a female and all my tame budgies have been males and have never had a male biter. Females are generally more bold and assertive and chew a lot more than males so being nippy is normal for them- someone has to be the defender of the nest! Rocky is very bonded to me and my husband. Since we hand raised her from an egg she is complete fearless of people (even strangers) and objects. Prefers our company to other budgies. She is all over us like velcro- almost like a fly that won't go away but mostly in a good way. But Rocky plays rough, and easily gets very wound up and over excited. She beats up her toys, chews everything, including our skin as though she doesn't know she shouldn't do that. My feeling, and it MAY apply to your Cossie too, is that when two young budgies are playing together, if one of them plays too rough the other one will correct the biter's behavior with a "squawk" sound or something like that. Should I do that? Everyone says don't yell at your bird and don't even tap their beak strongly because you will lose trust but when your bird is fearless and bonded to the degree that Rocky (and maybe Cossie) is how else am I supposed to teach Rocky not to bite? Help for both OP and myself would be appreciated!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The only budgie I have that bites me is Grim, he just isn’t fond of me.
I ignore it typically because he doesn’t really hurt.
When my bigger birds bite, especially if I directly caused it or wasn’t paying attention to their body language, I set them down if I was holding them or distract them.
I think it’s most important to try and remember, treat them like they’re huge lol.
Often I can figure out why they bit me, but times I can’t, letting them calm down with out me right there seems to help.
I use a question/answer system with most of my birds, I offer my hand out of their reach as in β€˜do you want to step up?’ If a foot is raised or they move closer so do I. I use this with petting too.
It helps avoid bites lots of times.
It’s especially helpful with Tony my Quaker.
The budgies are a little harder to read when I ask though so sometimes I make a mistake and get a pinch!
I just move my hand away and try again later.
Rocky flies to my shoulder and bites my ears and neck! And my face if I let her. If she flies off she keeps coming back. She obviously wants to be very close to me but I'm getting tired of being "attacked" by a two ounce bird that I raised from an egg and love so much.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Rocky flies to my shoulder and bites my ears and neck! And my face if I let her. If she flies off she keeps coming back. She obviously wants to be very close to me but I'm getting tired of being "attacked" by a two ounce bird that I raised from an egg and love so much.
Cossie is a very tame girlie. She loves my shoulder and I am her comfort blanket when the other birds aren't there. How old is Rocky? If she's still young, she may be going through puberty, or just a phase of testing boundaries. Cossie isn't too bad generally, she just throws tantrums when wound up, usually after a squabble with Apollo.

I'd say, don't scream at her, but try firmly saying "NO". It's worked with Apollo, she's still learning how much pressure is too much when giving kisses. If she nips, I say "NO, be gentle", and I don't give a reward, she usually understands.
Interesting, I'll try that. I always try to keep in mind that even though the budgies are small and hard to read, they deserve the same respect as bigger birds.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Cossie is a very tame girlie. She loves my shoulder and I am her comfort blanket when the other birds aren't there. How old is Rocky? If she's still young, she may be going through puberty, or just a phase of testing boundaries. Cossie isn't too bad generally, she just throws tantrums when wound up, usually after a squabble with Apollo.

I'd say, don't scream at her, but try firmly saying "NO". It's worked with Apollo, she's still learning how much pressure is too much when giving kisses. If she nips, I say "NO, be gentle", and I don't give a reward, she usually understands.

Interesting, I'll try that. I always try to keep in mind that even though the budgies are small and hard to read, they deserve the same respect as bigger birds.
Rocky is only three months old and she's a real spitfire! She loves us but doesn't seem to know her own beak strength. I very rarely raise my voice at her and never "swat" her. To use today's favorite psychobabble term, she doesn't respect my boundaries!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Rocky is only three months old and she's a real spitfire! She loves us but doesn't seem to know her own beak strength. I very rarely raise my voice at her and never "swat" her. To use today's favorite psychobabble term, she doesn't respect my boundaries!
I'm guessing puberty then. And the natural testing of boundaries that comes along with that.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My rule for biting is always DONT REACT. Just wait a minute and then move away. It gives them a second to calm down, but also it gives YOU a second to realize what you did that made them frustrated.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My rule for biting is always DONT REACT. Just wait a minute and then move away. It gives them a second to calm down, but also it gives YOU a second to realize what you did that made them frustrated.
What if I did nothing? She flies over, lands on me and starts playing with my shirt collar and bites my ears and neck. I don't react negatively when she comes to me. I try to ignore it but its kinda hard because it hurts! If she would just gently beak me it would be fine- her beak is like our hands and she uses it to explore and I want her to explore.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I know for big birds (and this is hard for budgies because they’re good fliers), you put them somewhere away from you and then turn away and ignore them for about 30sec. There is a wealth of good info about parrot biting intervention in the Amazon subforum! The big green guys can be really β€œbite first, ask questions later”, so often owners have to get savvy or look like a Swiss cheese slice!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know for big birds (and this is hard for budgies because they’re good fliers), you put them somewhere away from you and then turn away and ignore them for about 30sec. There is a wealth of good info about parrot biting intervention in the Amazon subforum! The big green guys can be really β€œbite first, ask questions later”, so often owners have to get savvy or look like a Swiss cheese slice!
One thing that seems makes Rocky want to bite is if I ignore him when she's climbing all over me. Maybe she's trying to get my attention and play. She is as playful as a puppy. She can play by herself very well but prefers when I play too.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
From the 500 gram and above World of Amazons. Mid-to Big Parrot Bites can be extremely damaging and first avoiding bites is highly recommended. In this group of Parrots, some will learned early-on that Humans will react and some very animated! Amazon's begin 'reaction junkies' will bite to get a reaction. This group represent a real challenge as one is going to have to get hurt to begin breaking that link.

The recommendation by ravvlet is near perfection as larger Parrots and especially Amazons are like small children in they want our attention. Turning away is a statement of rejection! And, it is not uncommon for an Amazon to turn their back on us! The combination of setting the Parrot down, stating No, No, No and then turning away is the correct response. 30 seconds to as long as 2 minutes prior to turning back. Yes, turning back to the Parrot that just bit you!! Yes, although super smart, Parrots have short memories, especially if it is something they did. Once you turned back, you start where you left off as if nothing happened.

It is important to remember that Parrots use their beak to move about and also to test thing as part of those bites. One learns they have the ability to using varying levels of force to express the why of the bite. We Must Detect Whether The Bite Was Light, Medium or Hard.

Clearly, there is much more to understand about a bite as they are more than being just a simple bite.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts