How do I spend enough time with my birds? Plus a maybe-not-so-small vent.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
As a child I hadn't many friends and I didn't know much about slang. I still remember such conversations:
(because you don't speak Polish I'll write the translation)
friend: How r u?
me: what is r u?
friend: on which world do you live? :ROFLMAO:

Currently I try to write different slang words but sometimes it's hard to me... so I can relate to you :)
I feel you!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Also:
You said,
"My father doesn't believe in ADHD and doesn't want a 'disabled' child. In fact, I have gotten 'diagnosed' with ADHD, but my dad refused to put it in my record, or have any official diagnosis. All because he doesn't want to look bad."

I really believe you are misinterpreting this!
He’s terrified and doesn’t know how to handle his feelings! Unfortunately, a fairly common guy shortcoming! We then play Mr Tough Guy!
An absolute truth in people,
Bigger the front, bigger the back!
Schoolyard bully? Insecure! Me? Growing up, I was always made to feel I would never be an equal to anyone! My front? An extremely wide rounded education that has made me successful- in the eyes of others-(but not me)! My back? Still trying to prove myself! My writings confirm this!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Also:
You said,
"My father doesn't believe in ADHD and doesn't want a 'disabled' child. In fact, I have gotten 'diagnosed' with ADHD, but my dad refused to put it in my record, or have any official diagnosis. All because he doesn't want to look bad."

I really believe you are misinterpreting this!
He’s terrified and doesn’t know how to handle his feelings! Unfortunately, a fairly common guy shortcoming! We then play Mr Tough Guy!
An absolute truth in people,
Bigger the front, bigger the back!
Schoolyard bully? Insecure! Me? Growing up, I was always made to feel I would never be an equal to anyone! My front? An extremely wide rounded education that has made me successful- in the eyes of others-(but not me)! My back? Still trying to prove myself! My writings confirm this!
Well, maybe. I'd certainly like to think so, but I have to clue what's going on in his head. He has some pretty severe mental issues.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So I've been quite sick and burnt out lately, and it feels like everything is just going downhill. I'm going to a neurologist for both ADHD and Tourette's Syndrome, and I'm honestly dreading it. My father doesn't believe in ADHD and doesn't want a 'disabled' child. In fact, I have gotten 'diagnosed' with ADHD, but my dad refused to put it in my record, or have any official diagnosis. All because he doesn't want to look bad.

This has made so many things a struggle, including spending enough time with my birds. I'm so burnt out from school (not because it's actually hard, but because I have ADHD and no clue how to cope or manage anything), and them I get home and the birds want to play. I just want to curl up in a little ball and sleep forever, not run around and do recall.

Don't worry, I would never give my birds up, and I do spend a LOT of time playing with them, cuddling some of them, and doing various recall tricks. Despite all that, I still feel like I should be doing that hardcore trick training bird experts advocate, and I feel really guilty when I can't. They seem perfectly happy, but I still kind of miss those times when Stormy could do every trick in the book, including some I made up just for him. But hey, he's a smart bird, and still remembers most of his tricks a year later, with little to no practice.

Now, for the good news. I am going to hopefully get an official ADHD diagnosis! I'm also learning to manage my crazy, pet filled life, and still have time for the things I love.

Ok, so 2 questions for you guys. One kinda goofy, one more serious:

1. Do you guys sometimes forget I'm 13??? I get that a lot, but I'm wondering how you envision me, I guess. Do you imagine a 13 year old sitting behind the computer, or someone much older? I just think it would be interesting to know your thoughts!

2. What are some easy tricks I can teach my birds that don't require a lot of effort, but look/are cool? I would like to start easy, then build up.
Ollie, we're all here for you! And we'll be here through every challenge you face.

Your health comes before your birds, especially if it's just training. If you need a break, then it's fine, you don't have to do training with them. And if you also feel you need a break from the forums, that will also be fine.

I am sorry to hear that your dad is not dealing with this well, but I agree with @Flboy. Your dad is probably just stressed out and does not know how to cope with your diagnoses. I will pray for both of you guys.

Now for the first question..
I don't really forget you're a 13 year old, I have just accepted that. Before I knew your age, I thought you were.. I don't know, 15-17 years old, so you are a lot more mature for your age. But I don't usually envision people online.

Anè

Most Reactions