How do I tame my parrots?

Victoire

Mar 14, 2017
My parents adopted two parrots about an year ago, a green cheeked conure and a peach faced lovebird. They are kept in an open enclosure in our living room and are allowed to fly around our house. Several people have told us it would take a while for them to settle down but that eventually they'd grow to like us. After an year though this hasn't happened and our relationship hasn't improved at all. I've tried looking at various tutorials online but none seem to help.
The conure runs aways from us and hides if we so much as walk near the cage, but he'll step up if he needs our help to return to his enclosure or if you make him do it (but that only seems to scare him so we avoid doing so unless absolutely necessary). The lovebird, on the other hand, is downright aggressive and, whilst she also runs away if we come near the cage, she will bite us if we so much as go near her and neither of them will accept treats from our hands.
I'm generally pretty good with most animal but I just don't understand these birds. The rest of my family is content with just having them there but I would really want a relationship with them. What do I do?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Short of clipping their wings (which many owners don't approve of) I would say offer them treats and see if you can bond with them that way. Maybe leave pellets or main diet out and ONLY give treats when they come to you or tolerate your nearness. Other than that, they seem to have settled into a lifestyle. You may have to adjust to being an indoor bird-watcher...
Maybe others will have more ideas.
I'm glad you're here, and reaching out...

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I say clip their wings until they develop a relationship with you. They will NEED you to help them if they are clipped and will come to love and trust you. The wings will grow back in about a year but by then they should be more personable!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I totally agree, you need to clip their wings. Every bird I've ever tamed I've always made the first step clipping their wings, and usually I only had to do it that one time. You have not earned either of the bird's trust, they haven't needed you to as they can fly wherever they want to. If you clip them they will immediately need to rely upon you for everything. Plus they can't fly away from you while you're trying to train them, and chasing a bird all over the room just makes it worse and they only fear you. You need to take them both to an avian vet (a wellness checkup is a good idea as well every year) and have them both clipped, only the outer 4 or 5 primary flight feathers on each side. Then start over from scratch like this is the first day you've brought them home. Research hand-taming techniques such as sitting with your hand inside their cages for 15-20 minutes at a time, sitting and reading to them, etc. A good start after they are clipped is training them to first step-up onto a perch or wooden stick, like when they are on the floor and need help. Once they trust the perch then progress to your hand. It may take months or longer, but at least if you clip them you'll have control.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Most Reactions

Latest posts