How do I teach albie his bird back pack is fun and safe.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I bought him a travel back pack so I can take him out with me on walks (harness training is very very slow at the moment) but, for once, he seems scared of it. I've had it for about 3 weeks now, it's in plain view and I touch it play with it and wear it, I've even tossed sunflower seed and nutri berries in it, but hes still super wary of it.

I don't want to just stuff him in it,as I don't want to bitten and I don't want to frighten him either but I also want to show him that it's fun because we can go out in it. Does any one have any suggestions?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Why, target training of course! And charging...think of the backpack like a clicker you are introducing for the first time that you have to charge - show him the backpack and immediately give him his most favorite treat in the world, then quickly hide the backpack again. He associates the presence the backpack with his favorite treat, and learns at least not to be afraid of its presence.

After that, target him in the general vicinity of the backpack, targetting closer and closer to the backpack. WORLDS MOST FAVORITE TREATS FOR THE FIRST COUPLE SESSIONS (for Parker, thats cheese). Then you can back off to a typical nut reward. Eventually you can target him on top of the backpack, into the backpack, etc.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Have you tried (in addition to target training) just setting it near his cage where he could possibly explore it if he wanted to?

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Looks like I gotta get some dairylea soft cheese for him then! He currently going mental over it.

I have set out relatively close to his cage in the living room so he can investigate it if he chooses.

Tha k you for the suggestions. It's really appreciated.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
LOL! ALL lactose intolerant creatures love cheese. My sister included haha. Then again, who doesn't? Just make sure you don't give too much (so as not to upset the balance in his gut).

I moved my travel cage closer to Noodles cage over a few weeks and then started placing it close enough that she could step on if she wanted (along with favorite treats just out of reach). I didn't push it-- it was still her choice. At first, she would hand upside down off of her cage and crane her neck out to pick food off of it (amazing how far she can reach when she wants). After touching it with her beak this way, she eventually got more comfortable as snacks became slightly more difficult to reach

Is the backpack sturdy enough to stay upright and feel supportive if your bird steps on? You want it to feel stable or your bird may step on and then get scared and trust it less if it shifts suddenly, tow gets caught in mesh etc, so just think about that stuff too.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Stitch,I bought a smaller portable cage so that I could take Connie out into the garden.

I put it on the table for several days,trying to encourage her in with treats,but she was wary. In the end I just picked her up and popped her in.
She loved being outside with me and now steps up as soon as she sees the smaller cage,associating it with being with Mum all the time. Now if I dont take her out to the garden she screams blue murder!

I think you may as well bite the bullet and let Albie see what hes missing.

I think Connie would cling to my shoulder if I took her out without the cage,but you never know.......a few Red Kites round here in the mountains.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I have a travel cage he loves, and does the same as Connie, he will scream if he knows I've disappeared to the garden. Sadly the cage too big to take on walks

Most Reactions

Latest posts