How do you decide which parrot to choose?

OP
Katu

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
Thanks! I'm not ruling much out except for size. I don't need to have a talker, but a whistle or word or two is great. I would like affection, but a head scritch is good and not getting bit a lot is great. I'm looking at adoption too. :) Some species are hard to get here, so we'll see how it goes.

StChelle

Apr 4, 2017
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Galah named Valentine; male red-sided Eclectus named Harlequin "Harley"; female red-sided Eclectus named Petra
Thought about a cockatiel at all?

OP
Katu

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
I've had a cockatiel, that was my last bird. I would like to try a different species this time. My cockatiel was such a sweetheart and I could never replace him. He died very suddenly, and although I've always loved birds, I went on to have kids and didn't have time to devote to another bird until now.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Find a rescue and just go meet some birds. only 2 of my birds picked me.

My first real parrot was a Senegal that bird did not pick me. I did lots and lots of research and convinced my parents that was the parrot for us. Well we should have gotten the sweet sun conure that loves us all. No we went with the bird I did research on. We got Kiwi because she was the only Senegal we could find. We learned to love each other after years of work. I miss her but would never get another one. All the research in the world is not enough because EVERY bird is different.

I had a cockatiel that pick me. This bird climbed right up my arm and was so happy to be with me. She was sweetest bird in the world. I will never find another like her so I don't want another. My bird now a Conure also picked me. This little bird pulled out all the tricks like roll over, and begged to make me take him home. He warmed up to me quickly and I fell in love with his feisty ways. He loves me too much at times. He is a little too needy. I think as he gets older he will mellow out.

My other birds were Budgies one was from the dog pound. So I just had to take him I gave him to my mom and he was one of her best Budgies ever. The 2 Budgies I have now I got for free of CL the owner was bored of them. They are good little birds.

Some times birds will find you other times they will pick you. You just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
OP
Katu

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
I think I've narrowed it down to a conure after all. I did enquire about a 10 year old caique and never heard back. I'm still not ready as we have some renovating to finish (floors laid and painting). This might take quite a while. I'm familiarizing myself with bird needs, hazards, hormones and behaviours. It's intimidating. I'm making sure I'm up to the responsibility, lol. :)

OP
Katu

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
Today I visited a bird type store, with a bird room. None of the birds picked me. A couple sort of showed interest in my daughter (she's 30 btw). I am going to look at other places. I mostly just wanted to see all the mutations of GCC, which I did see. I didn't like the condition of the birds there though, and they were all caged in groups according to age and bonded to each other, wanting nothing to do with people it seemed. I didn't feel like they got enough human interaction. I think I would rather find a small scale aviary.

The only bird that showed any interest in me was a 2 year old Senegal. Or he/she might have been afraid of me. Just sat there pinning it's eyes at me.

I also wonder if my grey hair is a bit of an issue. None of the staff or caretakers had grey hair. Only dark hair.

Also, I got a decent cage today, on the used market. I would like to have 2 cages, so this one could be a secondary or sleeping cage. I got it for a great price. It needs cleaning, but everything is in order. It has a playtop too, which is great. I'm going to visit more birds, and hopefully a bird will definitely show interest. I do definitely like the GCC's. They are so cute. :) Still in no hurry, there's so much to do! :)
Save

Most Reactions