How do you choose what species?

Pollywog88

May 15, 2023
How do you know what species is right for you and your family? This is so hard. Iā€™m trying to learn everything I can so I can make the right choice, but itā€™s very overwhelming. Any advice? Iā€™m looking at green cheek conures, parrotlets and cockatiels but I donā€™t know what is best.
ā€¢I am a stay at home mom that homeschools. So we are home 99% of the time.
ā€¢I do have small kids (10, almost 8, 6 & almost 4) so an ā€œeasierā€ or ā€œbeginnerā€ bird would be better.
ā€¢The bird needs to be able to handle some noise.
ā€¢Lots of noise is fine, I live in a house with no close neighbors.
ā€¢The least messy the better.
ā€¢Almost 8 year old wants a bird that talks and I want one that will ā€œcuddleā€ or like to be near me.

Is it even possible to find a bird that would work for us?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the Forums! šŸ˜Š

Choosing a species can be hard! I would personally not go with a parrot let. They are the most prone to behavioral issues and plucking out of the green you listed.

I personally own 3 tiels and a green cheek.
I think cockatiels are a good first bird, now that doesnā€™t mean their care is any different than other parrots.They can be taught to talk but are more likely to whistle songs, I have seen videos of them talking.
Tiels arenā€™t always the most cuddly but like a head scratch every now and then. They just seem to prefer to be near you rather than on you like a green cheek.
Tiels are very dusty, so if anyone had allergies, itā€™s something to keep in mind.

As for green cheeks, they can be quite needy and a little overwhelming once they trust you. Sometimes a I have to take a break from Tom (my green cheek) because his energy! šŸ¤­
They generally love to cuddle though not every bird will.
They can learn to talk but itā€™s usually very hard to understand. Iā€™d say a cockatiels voice is more clear.
He is harder to entertain than the tiels, and though he plays with his toys he prefers interaction with me.

Their diets are very similar, though tiels should have more seed than green cheeks.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
green cheeks are super popular.....a cockatieel also a good choice around kids. They are good birds that can't do serious damge to a kid if they get tempermental. These birds are popular for thier temperment. They are playful and silly, both species. Both tend to be clowns.

Cockatiels need grit where conures don't but there's a big price difference, like 100 vs 600.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
green cheeks are super popular.....a cockatieel also a good choice around kids. They are good birds that can't do serious damge to a kid if they get tempermental. These birds are popular for thier temperment. They are playful and silly, both species. Both tend to be clowns.

Cockatiels need grit where conures don't but there's a big price difference, like 100 vs 600.
While I agree on the price here, and would say a cockatiel is a better choice if you have kids, I must disagree about grit.

Parrots, of any kind, do not need grit. Unless said grit is composed of oyster shell/egg shell or charcoal (charcoal when needed) Grit made for chickens could kill your parrot, especially if your chickens grit is small pebbles.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
While I agree on the price here, and would say a cockatiel is a better choice if you have kids, I must disagree about grit.

Parrots, of any kind, do not need grit. Unless said grit is composed of oyster shell/egg shell or charcoal (charcoal when needed) Grit made for chickens could kill your parrot, especially if your chickens grit is small pebbles.
Grit is only needed for birds that don't remove the hulls before swallowing the seeds. As Zero notes, no parrots (hookbills) need grit. In fact, parrots can suffer serious digestive problems if they are given grit because some will enthusiastically swallow too much of it.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
In the 1980s apperntly they needed it, my bad for adding misinformation. I"m sure you are you correct. I just know what I knew then.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots

Most Reactions

Latest posts