Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So I've been making chop and comparing it to other recipes and I just want to see what you guys think, so these are my ingredients for my current chop:

Veggies:
Mustard greens, Rainbow kale (tuscan, curly, etc.), Parsley,
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green beans, Sugar snaps peas,
Baby carrots, Ginger root, Sweet potato, Mini sweet bell peppers,
Pomegranate(only fruit in the mix) , Zucchini.

Grains, legumes, beans:
Brown rice, white Quinoa, green Lentils, red Lentils,
Mung beans, Split peas, Couscous, Rolled oats,
Chickpeas, Lima beans.

Extras:
Red palm oil, coconut oil, crushed almonds (for extra calcium), bee pollen,
boiled egg.

Seeds: Ground and whole flaxseeds, hemp seed, Chia seeds.

It all has to be very finely chopped in the nutribullet or they get upset at any larger chunks.
I also make them 'birdie' bread; it has about 2-3 tablespoons of chop in it along with their pellets ground to powder and coconut flour as the base.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Sounds great! How do your birds like it? :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sounds really good!

If youā€™re planning on freezing it, I would not have included zucchini - it will defrost rather mushy and add an unpleasant texture. That aside, no complaints here, lots of diverse veggies in there, both in color and in plant part (leaf, root, shoot). Bravo!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sounds really good!

If youā€™re planning on freezing it, I would not have included zucchini - it will defrost rather mushy and add an unpleasant texture. That aside, no complaints here, lots of diverse veggies in there, both in color and in plant part (leaf, root, shoot). Bravo!
Thanks! This is my first time to ever add zucchini but the uncooked rolled oats and couscous soak any extra juice up

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Doesnā€™t quite work like that unfortunately. The zucchini itself becomes mushy in addition to releasing extra moisture. So itā€™s the zucchini bits themselves that add to the mushiness.

In making chop also, do look to the absorbers to correct for a broken rule. They can mop up in the best of times, but when you intentionally add ā€œunfreezeablesā€ like fruit and zucchini, youā€™ve already crossed a line that that rice and pasta simply canā€™t compensate for.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Doesnā€™t quite work like that unfortunately. The zucchini itself becomes mushy in addition to releasing extra moisture. So itā€™s the zucchini bits themselves that add to the mushiness.

In making chop also, do look to the absorbers to correct for a broken rule. They can mop up in the best of times, but when you intentionally add ā€œunfreezeablesā€ like fruit and zucchini, youā€™ve already crossed a line that that rice and pasta simply canā€™t compensate for.
Hmm, I see, I only added two 5in. long zucchini to this batch (which was large) and there doesn't seem to be a difference in consistency, so I guess I didn't over do it šŸ˜…

Most Reactions

Latest posts