Bean and rice plants?

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello all,

I have given up the fight for my birds to leave my spider plants(grass) alone. I want to make an easily managed greens pot to hang next to my birds. I've had luck sprouting split green peas but I'm looking for a way to provide for variety. Beans have always done well for me. I've seen that the 15 bean soup is safe when washed and cooked but what about the plants? If I have success growing these are those plants safe?

I'm wanting to have the actual plants grow and just toss new beans and seeds in when the greenery gets low. Thoughts?

Varieties of beans according to label:
Northern
Pinto
Large Lima
Yelloweye
Garbanzo
Baby Lima
Green split peas
Kidney
Cranberry
Small white
Pink
Small red
Yellow split peas
Lentils
Navy
White Kidney
Black

Since many of the beans are climbing plants I think putting down a grate for them to climb through will keep the birds out of the dirt but allow them to play with/eat.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello all,

I have given up the fight for my birds to leave my spider plants(grass) alone. I want to make an easily managed greens pot to hang next to my birds. I've had luck sprouting split green peas but I'm looking for a way to provide for variety. Beans have always done well for me. I've seen that the 15 bean soup is safe when washed and cooked but what about the plants? If I have success growing these are those plants safe?

I'm wanting to have the actual plants grow and just toss new beans and seeds in when the greenery gets low. Thoughts?

Varieties of beans according to label:
Northern
Pinto
Large Lima
Yelloweye
Garbanzo
Baby Lima
Green split peas
Kidney
Cranberry
Small white
Pink
Small red
Yellow split peas
Lentils
Navy
White Kidney
Black

Since many of the beans are climbing plants I think putting down a grate for them to climb through will keep the birds out of the dirt but allow them to play with/eat.
Nasturtiums are viney flowering plants and the entire plant including the flowers is edible. Easy to grow from seed. Let the plants vine down from the hanging pot.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Raw beans ( particularly kidney) are toxic. I don’t know about the plants themselves but there might be a chance of your birds nibbling a bean pod and getting sick. DonnaBudgie’s idea of nasturtiums is good or plant a couple chunks of sweet potato. They get big vines which are safe to eat.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Raw beans ( particularly kidney) are toxic. I don’t know about the plants themselves but there might be a chance of your birds nibbling a bean pod and getting sick. DonnaBudgie’s idea of nasturtiums is good or plant a couple chunks of sweet potato. They get big vines which are safe to eat.
I'm not sure if there is a hanging pot large enough for a sweet potato plant. I just read that one sweet potato plant needs a container to hold soil at least one foot deep and at least a foot wide. That would be very heavy to try to hang. Nasturtium plants don't need that much soil. The grow best with a lot of sun so they would need a window with strong sun exposure.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I'm not sure if there is a hanging pot large enough for a sweet potato plant. I just read that one sweet potato plant needs a container to hold soil at least one foot deep and at least a foot wide. That would be very heavy to try to hang. Nasturtium plants don't need that much soil. The grow best with a lot of sun so they would need a window with strong sun exposure.
If you’re only growing it for the vines and not the potatoes the container doesn’t need to be that big. I root sweet potatoes every year in just a tray of pebbles with an inch or two of water and the vines are sometimes a foot or more long before I transplant into the garden. All one needs is enough soil for the roots to hold the weight of the vine. If it’s trellised, not even that much. Nasturtiums are a good choice too. I should add that I’m talking about literal sweet potatoes, the kind you eat, not ornamental sweet potato vine which is a different plant.

Most Reactions

Latest posts