How is Aspergillosis,candidiasis and generally avian respiratory fungal infections diagnosed by a vet?

ioannis

Jan 6, 2020
Hello,

I would like to know the answer to this question because in the place and country where i live ,vet only care to take your money nothing else.
Let me tell you my story

My parrot has signs of respiratory infection (sneezing,lethargy,wet nostrils and feathers nearby e.t.c.)

I have taken the bird to a vet and what he did is to request a
1.fecal sample to look under a microscope (found nothing)
2.took a sample from the parrots throat (found nothing)

After that he randomly gave doxycycline 50 mg for 7 days (didn't work)
ivermectin 2 times with a gap of two weeks between the dosage (didn't work)
nebulized the bird with pulmicort (didn't work)

So after i asked for the next action plan does not know what else to do so i saw two other doctors
1st one told me 7 days of Doxycycline is too short. We need 6 weeks.
2nd told me 7 days of Doxycycline is find. Try Baytril 7 days.

Guys. I dont find this appropriate at all. How is it alright to shoot in the dark in order to treat a bird ?
I am really worried for Aspergillosis,candidiasis and in general fungal infection of the respiratory system.
Can you please tell me how does a doctor diagnose these conditions ?
Unfortunately i dont have much experience with birds and i find all these doctors i ve tried incompetent at best greedy evil people at worst.
Please help to save my bird

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry your parrot has enduring signs of respiratory infection without effective treatment. Accurate diagnosis requires includes physical exam, blood tests, cultures of respiratory fluids, and X-Rays. Not all of these required depending on symptoms and vet skill level. The science of proper sample collection leads to diagnosis and treatment with carefully targeted antibiotics or antifungals.

We often use the term "certified avian vet" which has no applicability in many parts of the globe. Sometimes the best you'll find is "exotic" vet with experience treating non-mammal companions. Skill level varies with drug prescribing in scattershot method until random success.

Sharing a pair of informative links. Note antifungal drugs are long duration with therapy lasting weeks.

Good luck, please keep us advised of progress!

Most Reactions

Latest posts